Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

IvoryKeys

Proud Member
What a movement! This is truly one of my favorite pieces from Barber. And it is probably one of his most famous. Oddly it became famous on its own, most don't realize that it is the 2nd movement in his String Quartet No. 1. It was composed in 1936, so is still fairly recent in terms of orchestration music. But for most people, the music is easily attachable to any scenario in their lives. I cried like a baby when I first heard it. And it made me think of so many different things in my life.
My family, and what I would do if I ever lost them
My personal life, and what I will do in the future, and how the future is so unknown.
Also a lot of tragic things, though this music is not necessarily "tragic" in a sense. But the strings just swell so much. I love it.

Here are 2 different videos I found of the song. One is used in a tragic sense for 9/11, and the other is more inspirational.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone else has listened to the song and what are your personal experiences with it. Also feel free to post any other favorite classical/romantic/20th cent. piece that has really moved you.

Back