"Sale El Sol", Shakira (*real music*)

Alma

Proud Member
Simply love this song, and her flirting with rock inspired by the likes of Nirvana (musically). Looking closely, the video bears some resemblance to sth Black Sabbath and Aerosmith have done, and am not into any. I just love her pop-rock songs, refreshing that some (very very few) mainstream artists can actually come up with real music nowadays, rather than just plain catchy tunes alive today, gone tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqLoUcLX5I

Love this album so much! Gordita, Lo Que Mas, Rabiosa, Devocion, and I can't remember but those are def. my top songs!

I love Shakira so much. A fan of her albums from Magia to Sale El Sol.

:) She actually has more such songs from various albums. Really worth listening to.

I know. I think I've said it before, but my mother is a huge fan of hers. She has all her albums. She constantly plays them in the car. I prefer that to Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton, though, whom she also likes. :puke:

my mother is a huge fan of hers. She has all her albums. She constantly plays them in the car.

Awesome. I only have a 'Laundry Service' cassette, lol. But have listened to more songs outside from it and albums which I really like, especially the original Spanish versions of her songs, rather than the English renditions. ..

I prefer that to Lady Gaga and Paris Hilton, though, whom she also likes. :puke:

LOL. .......^^

I love Shakira too! I feel like she isn't getting as much respect in the industry as she should.

:wub:
souldreamer7

On the contrary, I feel like she is being really talked about and esteemed nowadays as opposed to previous years.

I haven't listened to all her songs on this new album, "Sale El Sol", there are some songs from it I don't really enjoy, but some are magnificent, like this one from the thread title..

^The World Cup appearance really brought her back to American attention. She's always been huge in Latin America, but everybody knows that where the market really counts is in the U.S. and, alternately, Western Europe.

^Not her best work. I personally like her Dirty Laundry album best. I'm not really too fond of her singing style, but that's because I prefer soprano singing, but I do like the fact that she sings in different languages like t.A.T.u. and other international artists.

I always found it unfair that foreign artists have to basically be twice as talented as their American counterparts to succeed in the industry--so someone like Shakira and Lena Katina has to sing not only in their native tongue, but in English as well, to make it in and actually have a series of talents for minimal recognition, whereas someone with questionable singing talent and a rather mediocre songwriting ability or no songwriting ability whatsoever, and certainly little to no bilingual abilities (i.e. most American pop singers) is catapulted to the height of fame and recognition.

Then of course there's the uniformness of the mainstream industry--if it sounds exceptional or quality, and it does not adhere to the "in" thing at the moment (formerly teen pop, hip hop, and now dance-pop), then it gets less attention despite its surplus of quantity. There's no mistaking Shakira's voice with anyone else, that's for certain, and her songs include a wide variety of actual instruments, not electronic beats. The same could be said for American artists like Emilie Autumn, who make use of baroque instruments like the Harpsichord and classical ones like the violin, Dutch band Within Temptation, German band Xandria, and Finnish band Nightwish feature a wide variety of instruments as well, as does the American band Evanescence, and even Russian t.A.T.u. at times features unique instruments (most notably the instrumental solo on Zachem Ya/Stars.)

These artists, in my view, will always be infinitely superior to any autotuned, overhyped pop tart.

^Not her best work. I personally like her Dirty Laundry album best. I'm not really too fond of her singing style, but that's because I prefer soprano singing, but I do like the fact that she sings in different languages like t.A.T.u. and other international artists.

I always found it unfair that foreign artists have to basically be twice as talented as their American counterparts to succeed in the industry--so someone like Shakira and Lena Katina has to sing not only in their native tongue, but in English as well, to make it in and actually have a series of talents for minimal recognition, whereas someone with questionable singing talent and a rather mediocre songwriting ability or no songwriting ability whatsoever, and certainly little to no bilingual abilities (i.e. most American pop singers) is catapulted to the height of fame and recognition.

Then of course there's the uniformness of the mainstream industry--if it sounds exceptional or quality, and it does not adhere to the "in" thing at the moment (formerly teen pop, hip hop, and now dance-pop), then it gets less attention despite its surplus of quantity. There's no mistaking Shakira's voice with anyone else, that's for certain, and her songs include a wide variety of actual instruments, not electronic beats. The same could be said for American artists like Emilie Autumn, who make use of baroque instruments like the Harpsichord and classical ones like the violin, Dutch band Within Temptation, German band Xandria, and Finnish band Nightwish feature a wide variety of instruments as well, as does the American band Evanescence, and even Russian t.A.T.u. at times features unique instruments (most notably the instrumental solo on Zachem Ya/Stars.)

These artists, in my view, will always be infinitely superior to any autotuned, overhyped pop tart.

Agrees...

So, it seems, you've started to appreciate her more, lol :) I too love the fact that she uses real instruments in some, if not most of her songs, and that she hasn't forgotten her cultural heritage and language.. but it saddens me, nonetheless seeing how they've 'blondified' her to appeal more to the American consumerist market.. to the music industry, actually. She looks good with blond hair, but the mainstream influence is caught on more rapidly through this aspect, as she started out as a brunette and continued right up until Laundry Service. .. But hope that she's still stay true to herself and start writing less commercial music..like "Give It Up To Me", but you're not a 'real' artist unless you're giving in to the hype somehow, right..? ..

Back