Sacramento church service turns to Michael Jackson's music

Erikmjfan

Proud Member
ShareThis

Buzz up!By Jennifer Garza
jgarza@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 3B
The Rev. Ron Vanderwell preaches about salvation. Michael Jackson sang about it.

This weekend, the Sacramento pastor will turn to the work of the late pop star, who once sang "we must bring salvation back," to help him deliver his Sunday message.

Vanderwell will feature Jackson's words, music and videos during the 90-minute worship service at his church, The Gathering.

"We'll show how his songs have the hope the Bible offers," the pastor said.

Vanderwell believes the service, which he is calling "The Gospel According to Michael Jackson," is a unique way to reach his congregation.

The 10 a.m. service – the church meets at the Regal Cinemas in the Natomas Marketplace in Sacramento – is open to the public.

Vanderwell enjoys all kinds of music, including Jackson's. "One of many styles I liked," he said. And he was moved by the outpouring of affection for Jackson after he died June 25.

"He sang about love and justice and relationships, and this connected with people," the pastor said.

Vanderwell and other church officials later planned a four-week series of sermons based on pop music and wanted to include Jackson.

The first in the series, "The Gospel According to the Beatles" last week, featured a prop of a yellow submarine on stage. Following the Jackson-themed services will be U2 on Dec. 6 and Metallica on Dec. 13. The church held its first Metallica series about five years ago. "And everyone loved it," Vanderwell said.

The pastor said that this nontraditional approach to worship may not appeal to everyone. But he said that many of the 100 or so regular attendees appreciate the church's efforts.

"Many of our members have not had a good church experience in established churches and are open to new ways to looking for God," Vanderwell said.

Sometimes that means looking in the work of artists, he said. The pastor said church leaders picked certain songs because they had universal themes.

Some of the Jackson songs they selected are: "Billie Jean," "Beat It" "Man in the Mirror" and "I'll Be There," which includes these lyrics:

"You and I must make a pact

We must bring salvation back

Where there is love, I'll be there."

"His words reflect the ache every one of us has for something better," Vanderwell said. He has titled his sermon "Is This It?" a reference to "This Is It," Jackson's concert film. He wants to show that Jackson was a gifted but troubled artist.

The pastor said he will not gloss over the negative aspects of Jackson's life.

"He wrestled with a lot of demons," Vanderwell said. "I think the point of the message is that there is more to being whole than having a sequined glove."

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2354425.html

Hmm. . . I live about an hour away from Sac. Maybe I will go tomorrow if I can to check it out. :)

This has the potential of being a great service, definetely in terms of music, and hopefully in terms of the sermon too. That's one groovy pastor anyway for using popular music in his services! Hopefully there'll be a follow-up on how the service went.

I'd love for them to play

cry, earth song, heal the world, speechless, can you feel it?

Jeez I wish I lived near this church I would be there for sure......It's just too bad that it took for Michael to die to start being appreciated for his work...I wish they would of done this while he was alive..I am sure he would of been proud.

I am thinking about going too. They meet at the movie theater??

Felt more special until I read they do the same for Beatles, U2, and metallica...

Also, I hate when people bring up his 'demons.' What demons are those? How he was innocent of all charges? How he had a skin disease? How he preached L-O-V-E always? I hate that everyone has this negative insinuation when the only thing **bad** he did was plastic surgery when millions others do it too.

It would be fun if a huge group of mj fans show up!

[QUOTE
Felt more special until I read they do the same for Beatles, U2, and metallica...

Also, I hate when people bring up his 'demons.' What demons are those? How he was innocent of all charges? How he had a skin disease? How he preached L-O-V-E always? I hate that everyone has this negative insinuation when the only thing **bad** he did was plastic surgery when millions others do it too.
[/QUOTE]

Amen to that (pun intended)

What demons? His plastic surgeries when he was unable to love himself because of his father's beatings and verbal abuse that gave him such low self-estime. Gee! So now it's his fault he had a dysfunctional family. Give me a break. Another one trying to cash in on MJ's fame and adulation.

My 10 cents on the subject of demons:

I believe that the more innocent or pure @ heart a person is, the more demons they have assigned to them by forces of evil to try and make them lose their faith.

It says nothing bad about the person under attack. If anything, it's just the opposite. Hence, one of the reasons why so many evildoers surrounded Michael.

"His words reflect the ache every one of us has for something better," Vanderwell said. He has titled his sermon "Is This It?" a reference to "This Is It," Jackson's concert film. He wants to show that Jackson was a gifted but troubled artist.

"He wrestled with a lot of demons," Vanderwell said. "I think the point of the message is that there is more to being whole than having a sequined glove."

"demons"= the media and leeches
"negative aspects"= what he had to endure

That's what truly troubled mj

ShareThis

Buzz up!By Jennifer Garza
jgarza@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 3B
The Rev. Ron Vanderwell preaches about salvation. Michael Jackson sang about it.

This weekend, the Sacramento pastor will turn to the work of the late pop star, who once sang "we must bring salvation back," to help him deliver his Sunday message.

Vanderwell will feature Jackson's words, music and videos during the 90-minute worship service at his church, The Gathering.

"We'll show how his songs have the hope the Bible offers," the pastor said.

Vanderwell believes the service, which he is calling "The Gospel According to Michael Jackson," is a unique way to reach his congregation.

The 10 a.m. service – the church meets at the Regal Cinemas in the Natomas Marketplace in Sacramento – is open to the public.

Vanderwell enjoys all kinds of music, including Jackson's. "One of many styles I liked," he said. And he was moved by the outpouring of affection for Jackson after he died June 25.

"He sang about love and justice and relationships, and this connected with people," the pastor said.

Vanderwell and other church officials later planned a four-week series of sermons based on pop music and wanted to include Jackson.

The first in the series, "The Gospel According to the Beatles" last week, featured a prop of a yellow submarine on stage. Following the Jackson-themed services will be U2 on Dec. 6 and Metallica on Dec. 13. The church held its first Metallica series about five years ago. "And everyone loved it," Vanderwell said.

The pastor said that this nontraditional approach to worship may not appeal to everyone. But he said that many of the 100 or so regular attendees appreciate the church's efforts.

"Many of our members have not had a good church experience in established churches and are open to new ways to looking for God," Vanderwell said.

Sometimes that means looking in the work of artists, he said. The pastor said church leaders picked certain songs because they had universal themes.

Some of the Jackson songs they selected are: "Billie Jean," "Beat It" "Man in the Mirror" and "I'll Be There," which includes these lyrics:

"You and I must make a pact

We must bring salvation back

Where there is love, I'll be there."

well this started out positive, but then, it talked about MJ having 'demons'(a pastor passing judgement). i'm curious what kind of messages this pastor preached using those other artists..

I am thinking about going too. They meet at the movie theater??

It would be fun if a huge group of mj fans show up!
Yes, about the demons, you are so right! Argh.
I might have tried to go if I'd known about this sooner...although I'm not sure how promising it sounds, on second thought, if they did the same thing for other artists. If there was a Church of MJ, I'd go to that. :D

This is amazing...more churches should do this, because MJ was very God-like in that he showed people UNCONDITIONAL love. He was LOVE personified.

I couldn't make it this morning. :(

But I was just at the gym and the 6:00pm news had a report on it! It looked very interesting and very respectful towards Michael. The Pastor said that there are a lot of positive messages in Michael's songs.

It didn't look like there were too many people at the service, but the article did say that only 100 people were regulars.

One person that was interviewed said that this was a unique church service experience because sometimes he can't relate to what is being preached by a pastor/priest, but he can definitely relate to the music of Michael Jackson. :)

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxlmjchurch,0,5028003.story

The Gospel According To Michael Jackson

Kenny Lopez FOX40 News
November 29, 2009

SACRAMENTO - You'd expect to hear Michael Jackson's hits, "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" at a night club...but not at a church.

One local pastor is using Jackson's music to get an important messge across to spread the faith.

The late King of Pop, Michael Jackson wrote songs about peace, salvation, and hope...all themes from an International star that one local pastor believes we can all learn from.

"He had a power that people hadn't seen before."

Pastor Ron Vanderwell from "The Gathering" Christian Church is teaching "The Gospel According to Michael Jackson".

To get the crowd at the Natomas Marketplace Theatre going, Pastor Ron showed off some of the Late Pop Star's signature moves, but all jokes aside, there was a serious message he wanted to get across using Jackson's tunes.

He says the hit song, "Beat It" teaches racial reconciliation.

"The combination of peace and defiance is a neat way to see combined together."

And songs like, "I'll be there" teach inspirational lessons of love and commitment

"A desire to pour yourself out for someone else and the way he's able to do that. It shows a lasting connection with someone that won't flake out on you."

Churchgoers say "Amen" to the messages taught here today.

"I can finally relate. It's not just some old dude talking. I can't relate to that, but I can relate to Michael Jackson's music," Stuart Canton says.

Churchgoer, Dorothy Wollan says, "We have so many pop artists. I'm sure they have a lot to offer the public and there's always a deeper layer and we need to look for that."

Getting people to think about the deeper meanings through Pop music is exactly what Rev. Ron is aiming for.

He says, "The sense of redemption, the sense of love and peace are all things that Michael Jackson helped us hope for."
r."

Next Sunday will be "The Gospel According to U2" and then the follwing week, The Gathering will offer lessons from Heavy Metal Band Metallica's jams.

HERE IS A VIDEO OF THE NEWS SEGMENT:

http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=03ca8994-18f9-476e-b9db-8a1671c49fb6&src=front

well this started out positive, but then, it talked about MJ having 'demons'(a pastor passing judgement). i'm curious what kind of messages this pastor preached using those other artists..
MJ is not a God. Everyone has demons and so did MJ.

MJ is not a God. Everyone has demons and so did MJ.

then what were his demons? only ones i can think of were Dom Sheldon (haha) and the rest of those evil hoodlums. Yes, he had poor self-image because of his father and everyone making fun of his nose growing up. But those are not demons. Demons imply something sinister, something morally corrupt, but without putting it in those words.

I really dislike when people qualify their like of Michael by doing that. Stating 'his whole essence is about love, but...oh he had his demons' or 'oh i love his music and dancing but...only up until Off The Wall.'

How many of us have heard 'He was great until Off The Wall!' or until Thriller at the latest! Seriously, Off The Wall is a masterpiece genius work but i KNOW that many people are too hypocritical to allow themselves to appreciate anything after his looks changed. People can't handle the skin color or plastic surgery and pass that off as 'oh his music wasnt as good afterwards so thats why i dont like him.' That aint love!

anyway, went off on a tangent. Did anybody here go to the service? I overslept :)

then what were his demons? only ones i can think of were Dom Sheldon (haha) and the rest of those evil hoodlums. Yes, he had poor self-image because of his father and everyone making fun of his nose growing up. But those are not demons. Demons imply something sinister, something morally corrupt, but without putting it in those words.

I really dislike when people qualify their like of Michael by doing that. Stating 'his whole essence is about love, but...oh he had his demons' or 'oh i love his music and dancing but...only up until Off The Wall.'

How many of us have heard 'He was great until Off The Wall!' or until Thriller at the latest! Seriously, Off The Wall is a masterpiece genius work but i KNOW that many people are too hypocritical to allow themselves to appreciate anything after his looks changed. People can't handle the skin color or plastic surgery and pass that off as 'oh his music wasnt as good afterwards so thats why i dont like him.' That aint love!

anyway, went off on a tangent. Did anybody here go to the service? I overslept :)

*nods* the concept of total postivity....some just don't want it to be. but MJ is that concept, anyway.

and it doesn't bother me to say that of someone else, while thinking about where i lack. teachable moment, i say.

Last edited:

Well one obvious demon in the one that killed him. Taking dangerouse drugs in order to sleep.

Just because MJ wrote some songs about love or whatever positive things doesn't make him a God nor a perfect person. And if people are crying about negative this and negative that because someone said MJ had some demons, they probably need to get a thicker skin.

Well one obvious demon in the one that killed him. Taking dangerouse drugs in order to sleep.

Just because MJ wrote some songs about love or whatever positive things doesn't make him a God nor a perfect person. And if people are crying about negative this and negative that because someone said MJ had some demons, they probably need to get a thicker skin.

He trusted in the doctor. It's pretty clear that he wasn't using drugs to get high.

You can get a thicker skin and give in to the people who perpetuate negativity, or you can make the world a better place.

I didn't say he's a god or perfect but he did much more than write some love songs. He made the lives of millions around the world better.

No one said MJ used drugs to get high. But MJ knew he was taking stuff he wasn't supposed too. His family knew it also. That's why Janet tried to stage an intervention, but wasn't able to because MJ didn't let her in the house in Vegas. Yes, the doctor should have not given him propofol, as Deepak Chopra refused to give meds to MJ when he asked for them. But the sad fact is that MJ was asking for these drugs.

No one said MJ used drugs to get high. But MJ knew he was taking stuff he wasn't supposed too. His family knew it also. That's why Janet tried to stage an intervention, but wasn't able to because MJ didn't let her in the house in Vegas. Yes, the doctor should have not given him propofol, as Deepak Chopra refused to give meds to MJ when he asked for them. But the sad fact is that MJ was asking for these drugs.

that's all still hearsay. the final conclusion will come from the LAPD.

weren't you one of the ones who was into facts? and even then, there may be still unanswered questions.

and yes...i can think one thing about my own sibling, and find out that the police might tell me something different.

it's been more than 100 years and they're now changing theories on how Mozart died.

Last edited:
that's all still hearsay. the final conclusion will come from the LAPD.

weren't you one of the ones who was into facts? and even then, there may be still unanswered questions.

and yes...i can think one thing about my own sibling, and find out that the police might tell me something different.

it's been more than 100 years and they're now changing theories on how Mozart died.
Deepak Chopra said it himself that MJ asked him for drugs. That's not hearsay.

Janet Jackson said it herself that she tried to stage an intervention but was uncessusful. That's not hearsay.

Last edited:
Back