Rome: Greek Mythology

Sdeidjs

Proud Member
Artemis was one of the most widely venerated of the Ancient Greek deities and one of the oldest (Burkert 1985, 149). In Greek mythology of the classical period, Artemis (Greek: (nominative) Ἄρτεμις, (genitive) Ἀρτέμιδος) became the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and the twin sister of Apollo.

She was the Hellenic goddess of forests and hills, child birth, virginity, fertility, the hunt, and often was depicted as a huntress carrying a bow and arrows.[1] The deer and the cypress were sacred to her. In later Hellenistic times she even assumed the ancient role of Eileithyia in aiding childbirth.

Her later association with the moon is a popular idea which has little foundation. She later became identified with Selene,[2] a Titaness who was a Greek moon goddess, and she was sometimes depicted with a crescent moon above her head. She also became identified with the Roman goddess Diana[3] and with the Etruscan goddess Artume. [4]

Artemis
The Diana of Versailles, a Roman copy of a Greek sculpture by Leochares. (Louvre Museum) Goddess of the Hunt, Forests and Hills, the Moon Symbol Bow and Arrows Parents Zeus and Leto Siblings Apollo

Last edited:
In Greek and Roman mythology, Apollo (in Greek, ἈπόλλωνApóllōn or ἈπέλλωνApellōn), is one of the most important and many-sided of the Olympian deities.

The ideal of the kouros (a beardless youth), Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto, and has a twin sister, the chaste huntress Artemis. Apollo is known in Greek-influenced Etruscan mythology as Apulu. Apollo was worshipped in both ancient Greek and Roman religion, as well as in the modern Hellenic neopaganism.

As the patron of Delphi (Pythian Apollo), Apollo was an oracular god — the prophetic deity of the Delphic Oracle. Medicine and healing were associated with Apollo, whether through the god himself or mediated through his son Asclepius. Apollo was also seen as a god who could bring ill-health and deadly plague as well as one who had the ability to cure. Amongst the god's custodial charges, Apollo became associated with dominion over colonists, and as the patron defender of herds and flocks. As the leader of the Muses (Apollon Musagetes) and director of their choir, Apollo functioned as the patron god of music and poetry. Hermes created the lyre for him, and the instrument became a common attribute of Apollo. Hymns sung to Apollo were called paeans.

In Hellenistic times, especially during the third century BCE, as Apollo Helios he became identified among Greeks with Helios, god of the sun, and his sister Artemis similarly equated with Selene, goddess of the moon.[1] In Latin texts, however, Joseph Fontenrose declared himself unable to find any conflation of Apollo with Sol among the Augustan poets of the first century, not even in the conjurations of Aeneas and Latinus in Aeneid XII (161-215).[2] Apollo and Helios/Sol remained separate beings in literary and mythological texts until the third century CE.
Apollo
2nd century AD Roman statue of Apollo depicting the god's attributes - the lyre and the snake Python God of music, poetry and oracles Parents Zeus and Leto Siblings Artemis Children Asclepius, Troilus, Aristaeus Primary polis Delphi

Last edited:
Re: Anything To Do With Rome: Greek Mythology

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni[1]

(March 6, 1475 – February 18, 1564), commonly known as Michelangelo, was an Italian Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet, and engineer. Despite making few forays beyond the arts, his versatility in the disciplines he took up was of such a high order that he is often considered a contender for the title of the archetypal Renaissance man, along with his rival and fellow Italian Leonardo da Vinci.

Michelangelo's output in every field during his long life was prodigious; when the sheer volume of correspondence, sketches, and reminiscences that survive is also taken into account, he is the best-documented artist of the 16th century. Two of his best-known works, the Pietà and David, were sculpted before he turned thirty. Despite his low opinion of painting, Michelangelo also created two of the most influential works in fresco in the history of Western art: the scenes from Genesis on the ceiling and The Last Judgment on the altar wall of the Sistine Chapel in Rome. Later in life he designed the dome of St. Peter's Basilica in the same city and revolutionised classical architecture with his use of the giant order of pilasters.

In a demonstration of Michelangelo's unique standing, he was the first Western artist whose biography was published while he was alive.[2] Two biographies were published of him during his lifetime; one of them, by Giorgio Vasari, proposed that he was the pinnacle of all artistic achievement since the beginning of the Renaissance, a viewpoint that continued to have currency in art history for centuries.

In his lifetime he was also often called Il Divino ("the divine one").[3] One of the qualities most admired by his contemporaries was his terribilità, a sense of awe-inspiring grandeur, and it was the attempts of subsequent artists to imitate Michelangelo's impassioned and highly personal style that resulted in the next major movement in Western art after the High Renaissance, Mannerism.

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni
Chalk portrait of Michelangelo by Daniele da Volterra Birth name Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni Born March 6, 1475(1475-03-06)
near Arezzo, in Caprese, Tuscany Died February 18, 1564 (aged 88)
Rome Nationality Italian Field sculpture, painting, architecture, and poetry Training Apprentice to Domenico Ghirlandaio[1] Movement High Renaissance Works David, The Creation of Adam, Pietà

Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel; it took approximately four years to complete (1508–1512)

Michaelangelo is absolutely exquisite...Always has been a favorite of mine..!

Last edited:

Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel; it took approximately four years to complete (1508–1512)

Michaelangelo is absolutely exquisite...Always has been a favorite of mine..!
I've seen that, it was smaller than I expected but very impressing :yes:
Rome is beautiful city.

I've seen that, it was smaller than I expected but very impressing :yes:
Rome is beautiful city.

Wow...Be still my heart~~~

Rome and the Holy Lands are two of my all time favorite places I wish to visit one day. I am absolutely intrigued about the era's of both of those time periods...

:angel:

I took latin in my 11th grade year of high school. In my latin class me and the rest of the kids in my class all had Greek or Roman names. The name I went by was Creusa. I had learn alot about the Roman and Greek Mythology in that class. And even before that I had a major love for it. Some of my favorite Greek and Roman mythology stories are:

The Labors of Hercules
Andromeda
Jason and The Argonauts
Perseus
Theseus
Icarus
Persephone

Along with other stories.

Back