ROLLING STONES: 50 Best Michael Jackson Songs

qbee

Proud Member
The stories behind the tracks that kept the planet dancing

20140623-mj-x595-1403538195.jpg

Michael Jackson, the greatest pop artist that ever lived, has a career that spans more than 40 of his 50 years. The de facto star of Motown's boundary-breaking Jackson 5, the sensitive solo singer behind Seventies hits, the vanguard of the MTV era and the timeless voice behind some of the only multi-million-selling Nineties records you could safely call "slept-on." We've traversed his massive catalog to pick the 50 best.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/50-best-michael-jackson-songs-20140623

Last edited:
This is such a typical Rolling Stone list. LOL.

There's a bit too much J5 for my liking. Don't get me wrong I like the J5, but when it comes to Michael's whole career you have to be really biased for that era to put a song like Mama's Pearl over master pieces like Who Is It, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us - songs which aren't even included in this list. But you got Mama's Pearl, Burn This Disco Out and Goin' Back to Indiana. And of course they just HAD to include two Paul McCartney duets. I'm surprised they did not put Girlfriend in the Top 5.:smilerolleyes:

No "Who Is It", no "Give In To Me". Eventhough my favorite album is well presented, the best songs of his are missing. those two songs are not only underrated, they are ignored in this list. GITM is equal sexual as ITC.
Surprised BOTDF and Morphine are acknowledged. they of course deserve to be there. Just seriously, some of the songs in that list, don't deserve to be mentioned.

I actually thought this list was in order at first.. lol, I was thinking they're waaayyy off with Heartbreak Hotel at 50!

This is such a typical Rolling Stone list. LOL.

There's a bit too much J5 for my liking. Don't get me wrong I like the J5, but when it comes to Michael's whole career you have to be really biased for that era to put a song like Mama's Pearl over master pieces like Who Is It, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us - songs which aren't even included in this list. But you got Mama's Pearl, Burn This Disco Out and Goin' Back to Indiana. And of course they just HAD to include two Paul McCartney duets. I'm surprised they did not put Girlfriend in the Top 5.:smilerolleyes:

What could you expect from a mag who rated Madonna's Hard Candy higher than Dangerous! F*ck them!

I feel sorry for anyone that thinks anything Rolling Stone has to say is relevant.

Whuttttt???? Rolling Stone rated Hard Candy higher than Dangerous?! Wtf is wrong with people...

Whuttttt???? Rolling Stone rated Hard Candy higher than Dangerous?! Wtf is wrong with people...
Were did you see that in the article I posted for discussion .. ?

thats what I want to say WTF is wrong with people .. ... This positive article about MJ certainly doesn't belong HERE . I feel I made a mistake posting it here as far as I can see... :( Being it offends so many lets just remove it .. Im done trying

Were did you see that in the article I posted for discussion .. ?

thats what I want to say WTF is wrong with people .. ... This positive article about MJ certainly doesn't belong HERE . I feel I made a mistake posting it here as far as I can see... :( Being it offends so many lets just remove it .. Im done trying

I don't get why you are so upset. It's an article with subjective opinions on MJ's music. Of course, it's going to be debated and discussed and god forbid, some people might not agree with it.

Not only does it upset me , it depresses me. You are the only one that made an effort to discuss - The article was very positive for Michael , even though the list is subjective as all list like this are. They Heralded MJ as the Greatest .... but still nothing positive or appreciative. My intention was to bring something positive about MJ here for members to discuss - ... His music .. It didnt work . No one likes it so lets just remove it ... should be no problem. I'll feel better and members won't have to be subjected to it .. A win win

Last edited:
Not only does it upset me , it depresses me. You are the only one that made an effort to discuss - The article was very positive for Michael , even though the list is subjective as all list like this are. They Heralded MJ as the Greatest .... but still nothing positive or appreciative. My intention was to bring something positive about MJ here for members to discuss - ... His music .. It didnt work . No one likes it so lets just remove it ... should be no problem. I'll feel better and members won't have to be subjected to it .. A win win

Well, considering Rolling Stone's history with Michael the distrust is understandable IMO. Even in this article I detected a couple of backhanded compliments. I feel like the disproportionate number of J5 songs is one such backhanded compliment. Or putting songs on the list which are fillers but were written by others, while leaving out some of Michael's best work that he wrote himself. I also noticed how they always talk up the writer of a song if it's not Michael but they hardly mention it if a song is written by Michael. As if deliberately trying to give the impression MJ hardly wrote anything. Or as if saying: "most of MJ's best songs were done when he was a child and those were the songs which were not written by him".Could be paranoia, but considering RS's history with Michael I don't think some of it is.

I don't think any of it was aimed at you personally for posting the article. It's just that RS does have a history with Michael which we are all well aware of and cannot ignore.

I thought the article was pretty good. Good that they are releasing positive articles about Michael.

ABC rated higher than Man In The Mirror. Are you kidding me?

Is it just me or is 'I Want You Back' at both #2 and #3?

Good to see a couple of album tracks there (Butterflies, Dangerous, Morphine) but the holy trinity from Dangerous is strangely ommited (Who Is It, Give In To Me, Will You Be There).

Glad to see Jam on there though.

...and by the way, Hard Candy (although not a patch on Dangerous) is a great album :)

But agree with QBee, we can discuss the list in detail without spouting vitriol & hate.

Last edited:
I was speaking ill of RS, not anybody here. And I'll continue to do so since this latest article proves the writers in that magazine are a poor excuse of "music critics." I love the J5 classics but Michael's best songs were made when he was adult, the ones written by himself specially, not as a child. They don't know what they're talking about.

RS has taken advantage of the fame and acclaim the magazine achieved in the 60s but in the 70s they were already a bunch of racist snobs who denied Michael being the cover because his success with Off The Wall "wasn't worthy enough" for a front cover but as soon as Thriller became a smash hit, they were begging him for an interview. Also we all know their constant underrating towards his records and him as an artist since he stopped working with Q.

Sorry Madonna fans but rating Hard Candy higher than Dangerous is an insult to human intelligence and to true art. So it was this list IMHO. respect was totally right, there are too many J5 songs and we know many songs Michael composed are master pieces superior to his songs as a child.

I have been struggling to read this all day between borrowing someone's phone and my 100 year old computer-but I was struck by the first sentence. "The greatest pop star that ever lived"-NOT "greatest in the 80 or not the "greatest of our generation" -but "GREATEST THAT EVER LIVED". Bravo, Rolling Stone. Finally!

I have been struggling to read this all day between borrowing someone's phone and my 100 year old computer-but I was struck by the first sentence. "The greatest pop star that ever lived"-NOT "greatest in the 80 or not the "greatest of our generation" -but "GREATEST THAT EVER LIVED". Bravo, Rolling Stone. Finally!

Not sure rolling stone is a big fan of 'pop stars' so take that compliment with a grain of salt. In their 2008 100 greatest artists list they put mj at no 35, one above madonna.

3 out of mj's top 5 songs are when he was with the jacksons? Who compiled this list - jermaine?

Not sure rolling stone is a big fan of 'pop stars' so take that compliment with a grain of salt. In their 2008 100 greatest artists list they put mj at no 35, one above madonna.

Lemme guess. The Beatles were number 1 right?

I'm not a great fan of Rolling Stones mag, but, I must say it is refreshing to see such a positive article on Michael. Of course, the list could be better, but the writer may be a novice when it comes to MJ, given all the hatred and bigotry written about him over the past years. This to me, along with the last 2 books written about him, is just the beginning of people coming back to realize his everlasting legacy in the world of music and philanthropy. Baby steps, people! I have hopes that with each passing year it will get better. JMO
Thanks qbee, for your continued dedication and support to the cause. I truly appreciate all you do in keeping it positive. :clapping:

... "The greatest pop star that ever lived"-NOT "greatest in the 80 or not the "greatest of our generation" -but "GREATEST THAT EVER LIVED". Bravo, Rolling Stone. Finally!
Only because it's hip to do now. Rolling Stone drives me bonkers with their flip-flopping but still mostly negative commentary of Michael and all things Jackson.

Back