Rolling Stone Readers Pick the Best Music Videos of All Time (mj #1)

billyworld99

Proud Member
1. Michael Jackson, 'Thriller' (1983)
John Landis' 1983 short film for the title song from Michael Jackson's record-setting album is so iconic and influential that it's not exactly a surprise that it won this poll by a landslide. So much more than a promo clip for a song, this mini-movie practically invented the notion of the music video as a major cultural event, and it opened up a world of possibilities for the medium that artists are still exploring today

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...10420/1-michael-jackson-thriller-1983-0019247

The readers made a great choice. ;) :yes:
Thriller is one of best videos of all time. :)
Very well deserved :D

ok but RS still gave Thriller no 7 in best albums of the 80's. Not a clue!!! Also gave Britney spears new album a higher rating than Chris Browns FAME in their lastest edition!!!!

Happy to see Thriller at number 1 but to me Smooth Criminal is better.

Great choice! Obviously...

I don't agree with 'Ghosts' being underrated or even better than 'Thriller' though. 'Ghosts' is much more everything-but-the-kitchen-sink, yet it misses the soul and drive of 'Thriller'. 'Ghosts' seems both endless and static, while 'Thriller' moves along effortlessly. Less is definitely more.

I agree. Ghost is most definitely underated, however, I do see why Thriller won. It was the first. It made history. It was the video that really launched everything else and changed the medium. Ghost maybe better in some regards, but Thriller was a landmark work that set the standard of what can be done with music videos. Michael led with that video and everyone else followed....:)...:clap:...:)

:moonwalk

Last edited:
Please ignore this post. I'm experimenting with smilies. Thanks for your patience!!!

:wild: :punk: :dance: :baby: :cry: :toofunny: :unsure: :D :clap: :clapping: :jump: :bowling: :king: :queen:

:heart: :mad: :alien: :kiss: :dancing: :sun: :music: :beach: :eek: :bounce: :eat: :blush:

:fish: :shock: :cold: :angel: :devil: :stop: :sleep: :drunk: :innocent: :love: :wink: :party: ;)

:moonwalk

How freakin' cool is that!! There is actually an animated moonwalk icon!! That made my day!! :clap:

Last edited:
Thriller is and should undoubtedly be number one. Is it my fave MJ short film, nope, I prefer Smooth Criminal but Thriller is just so important that anything other than number one is just wrong. It was the benchmark and took the music video in the direction it is today.

Thriller is and should undoubtedly be number one. Is it my fave MJ short film, nope, I prefer Smooth Criminal but Thriller is just so important that anything other than number one is just wrong. It was the benchmark and took the music video in the direction it is today.

Yes, it made history and should be number one.

By the way, how did you get the banner on the bottom of your post?

Thanks!!!! :)

Well deserved! It is the most important short film in history. I wonder if the critics would think the same way. hahaha

Back