RIP Maximilian Schell

HIStory

Proud Member
Austrian-Swiss actor Maximilian Schell died today at the age of 83.

Maximilian Schell (December 8, 1930 – February 1, 2014) was an Austrian-Swiss actor who won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in Judgment at Nuremberg in 1961.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] He was also a writer, director and producer of several films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Schell

Why do I mention this here? Because of the open letter he wrote to Michael in 1993. He was one of the good people. Rest in Peace.

1465373_608021589266238_1030733400_n.png

MAXIMILIAN SCHELL
NOV, 19

TO: MICHAEL JACKSON
(SOMEWHERE ON THIS PLANET)

DEAR MICHAEL,

I AM DEEPLY ASHAMED -- FOR THE PRESS, FOR THE MEDIA, FOR THE WORLD - I don't know you - we met only ONCE on one of those Award-Dinners ("ENTERTAINER of the DECADE") - We shook hands - you were kind and polite - I don't think you knew who I was - HOW SHOULD YOU? OUR WORLDS ARE TOO FAR APART - (I am more, "CLASSICAL" - minded -) but I looked into your eyes -- THEY WERE KIND --

You are a great artist and I admire you - my little daughter (she is 9½) LOVES YOU! DEEPLY - SHE EVEN WANTS TO MARRY YOU! (-"BUT HE NEVER CALLS ME!") SHE IMITATES YOU ALL THE TIME - and quite well -

WE ALL LOVE YOU

I would like her more to listen to MOZART - but she loves YOU! AND I RESPECT HER TASTE! --

THAT YOU SURVIVE THIS AVALANCHE OF DIRT THROWN AT YOU - I ADMIRE TREMENDOUSLY -

THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU ARE!

GOD BLESS YOU

Maximilian Schell

P.S. "ONE CAN ONLY SEE GOOD WITH THE HEART - THE ESSENTIAL IS INVISIBLE FOR THE EYES” - ("THE LITTLE PRINCE")

Wow.He was a beautiful man for writing that personally to Michael.R.I.P.

Never seen that letter but its amazing he saw what we all see in Michael, during a time where so many people doubted him, even those around him. And this guy, who only met him once, saw the truth in it all. I wonder if Michael ever received the letter and if he did, did their relationship improve after that?

First time I'm seeing this. So nice of him to write it.

May he rest in peace!

gorgeous letter he wrote personally to Michael, beautiful R.I.P :heart: i hope you & Michael can spend some time together in paradise :heart:

He sent the handwritten letter to Hollywood Reporter and paid to publish it.

Rest in peace Mr. Schell

^ Correct. I think it was the New York Times though, which cost him $250,000 back then for a full A3 page.

Beside that generous gesture he was an extraordniary man altogether. Rest in peace.

What a great letter he took the time to write to Michael (when Michael would have very much needed it)! It made me smile and affected my heart. Thank you for including it in your post, respect77.

He was certainly a quality actor. I remember him well.

Respect how come we don't hear much about this letter? We always hear about how Elizabeth supported him during that time, but this letter is not talked about much. It is a wonderful document to frame.

May he rest in peace.

I think i found about the letter a few months after Michael passed. It's true that it is not so known among the MJ fan community. I hope Michael had the chance read it and made him feel a little better at least. What a shame just a few people like Elizabeth or Mr. Schell dared to support him publicly. May he rest in peace.

I remember this letter and I really hope Michael read it. I was very saddened when I heard of his passing on the radio. Rest in Peace.

Oh it is a pity we did not hear what he said in English. I wonder who would know how Michael responded to this letter. Does anyone know who has the original letter now?

^ Actually I did not quite like what he said in German. He said something along the lines at the end: "And if he did something, so what? Those without sin should cast the first stone."

So he was not that convinced of MJ's innocence unfortunately.

^^I thought he defended Michael sincerely... :sigh: At least Elizabeth's actions showed she really knew Michael, she was a true friend and standed for him sincerely.

^ Actually I did not quite like what he said in German. He said something along the lines at the end: "And if he did something, so what? Those without sin should cast the first stone."

But to be fair, how could he be convinced of mj's innocence - he didn't know all the facts and didn't know mj. At this time it was a barrage of media 'revelations' and sensation, latoya was just about to come out with her garbage. It was unremitting horrible headlines, and yet this actor recognised that mj wasn't getting a fair deal and even though he didn't know the whys and wherefores of this story - he didn't know mj or the boy or the father or the details of the case - he was prepared to empathise with this fellow-artist and just let him know that admidst all the condemnation and accusations some people were rooting for him. I think it was very brave of him to do that as the children making such accusations often get the sympathy. I think those limitations he gave to that support to mj were right and proper - our belief in mj's innocence isn't based on how nice mj's eyes are or that we like his music which is really all schell had to go on.

@snow white - eliz taylor was a really close friend to mj so she was in a position to be convinced of his innocence.

Respect it is a pity I don't understand German. I would need to hear the whole part where he defends him and see the context in which he includes that last line and listen to his tone as well. Also, we need to know what question was asked. You lose so much in a translation. To me it could be that he said that in order to show that the extent of the witch hunt was over board, or he adds that the way people normally do in regular speech--like saying "I don't believe it, and even if he did it---------."

Anyway I applaud him for this letter. What a wonderful think for someone to read when all their friends or quasi friends have abandoned them.

Back