Rihanna Scores 10th #1 Single On The Hot 100 & Ties Janet Jackson

billyworld99

Proud Member
1. The Beatles (20)
2. Mariah Carey (18)
3. Elvis Presley (17) (Pre-Hot 100 charts and Hot 100)
4. Michael Jackson (13)
5. Madonna (12) (tie)
5. The Supremes (12) (tie)
7. Whitney Houston (11)
8. Janet Jackson (10) (tie)
8. Stevie Wonder (10) (tie)
8. Rihanna (10) (tie)
11. Bee Gees (9) (tie)
11. Elton John (9) (tie)
11. Usher (9) (tie)

Rihanna and Britney Spears’ ‘S&M’ has topped the Billboard Hot 100, giving the former her 10th #1 single and a position next to Janet Jackson in the history books.

After being stalled at #2 behing Katy Perry’s ‘E.T (Ft. Kanye West)’ on the Hot 100 for over 3 weeks, the remixed version of ‘S&M’ gave the track the boost that it needed to climb to the #1 position. Ranked as her 10th #1 single (and Spears’ 5th), Rihanna is now tied with Janet Jackson and Stevie Wonder in 7th position amongst all artists with the most chart-toppers in the history of the tally.

Rihanna also surpasses both of Mariah Carey’s records capturing to 10 #1 songs faster than any solo act and being the youngest person to accomplish that feat thus far. However, Carey remains the solo artist with the most #1 singles with a staggering 18 tracks (17 of which she co-wrote and 14 she co-produced), placing her behind only The Beatles who earned 20.

I can see her surpassing MJ and eventually The Beetles soon, she's a singles artist, and having said that a lot of her number ones on the chart have been as a featured artist or with featured artists, which is quite unfair on the other artists whose were all achieved on their own solo work.
Well, congrats to her anyway.

I think it is well deserved - Rihanna has done great singles, and weather she is a featured artist or not on some of the singles, makes no differense for me. She has earned the place IMO

This is insanity! Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, and even Britney had to work hard for their #1's and here comes Rihanna strolling past them all in a matter of a few years and at only 23 years old. It seems so wrong. And honestly, who can really name all those #1's? I sure can't. Oh well, what can a person do?

Somehow I'm not surprised. I noticed lately that whenever I turn on either of the two Pop/R&B stations that I listen to, pretty much every time they're playing one of her songs. Almost every time, no exaggeration. Makes you wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes politics going on regarding airplay.

Back in the England..........most of the Radio stations I listen to, have Rihanna on them, pretty much all the time..............

But everybody has to remember that sales of music are so much lower then they used to be..............

And Wikipedia tells me that she has only 8 number ones...............

............the other 2 number ones were as "featured artist".............

I like some of her songs but they do play her so much on the radio where I live. There is no balance anymore. The airplay isn't fair. I know I shouldn't say this and it doesn't matter now but I wish Michael had one more #1 song. I don't like the number 13 so much. 14 sounds better lol.

Somehow I'm not surprised. I noticed lately that whenever I turn on either of the two Pop/R&B stations that I listen to, pretty much every time they're playing one of her songs. Almost every time, no exaggeration. Makes you wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes politics going on regarding airplay.
very true

This is insanity! Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, and even Britney had to work hard for their #1's and here comes Rihanna strolling past them all in a matter of a few years and at only 23 years old. It seems so wrong. And honestly, who can really name all those #1's? I sure can't. Oh well, what can a person do?
I know I can't. She is one of those who doesn't deserve this at all.

She doesnt deserves this, she is only an average singer relying on sexi poses, no dancer, no composer, no songwriter, no artist, only a singer who doesnt work on her success but relies on her management´s work...
Her songs are so mediocre that I wonder why the other artists with great songs dont attract media and peoples interest....

I also wonder why MJs songs were not at NO1 in the 80s and 90s (or from OffWheWall)

I don't know why some of you all are getting your panties in a twist over this. How can she not deserve it? It's there, plain and simple, it happened so...? I know times have changed and music is not what it was. That much is clear, so to me it's really not a big deal.

when u think about it rihanna came a long way not musically but being a household name in the pop industry today when she first came out everyone thoguht she was going to be a one hit wonder now she's got enough hits to have a greatest hits album sometime in the future

It's a popularity contest, guys. I must say I'm not surprised, and to those who say she doesn't "deserve" it--why not? It's not against the rules to collaborate with others, and you can't blame Rihanna for being intelligent. Combining forces with other pop heavyweights is an excellent commercial strategy, which has been proven to succeed time and time again. It gives fresh air and a new perspective/facet to a single which would have otherwise staled.

Back