Resident Evil or Silent Hill?

DarkPhoenixWing

Proud Member
Right Computer Gamers! When it comes down to the survival horror genre in games, these two franchises are always important players. My question is, which one do you lot like more?

Personally I go for Silent Hill everytime. I am a big fan of Japanese Horror in film, and Silent Hill contains a lot of the characteristics of this. I think its far more athmospheric and the monsters are a LOT cooler than the Resi ones. Although Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games I have ever played. :)

Isn't a Silent Hill game going to be released for the Wii? I have Resident Evil 4 for the Wii, and I like it. Hopefully I'll be able to play Silent Hill someday.

Resident Evil has become more action-oriented over the years while Silent Hill's gameplay has remained more or less the same since the Playstation original. I think, as a whole, the RE games are much more fun experiences, but in terms of atmosphere and disturbing imagery, Silent Hill easily beats out Resident Evil. Another good horror series is Fatal Frame, a series heavy on startles and disturbing imagery. Haunting Ground from Capcom and Rule of Rose from Atus I would also recommend to fans of the horror genre.

Isn't a Silent Hill game going to be released for the Wii? I have Resident Evil 4 for the Wii, and I like it. Hopefully I'll be able to play Silent Hill someday.

Correct. In addition to the Wii release, it's also going to be released for the PS2 and PSP. It's full name is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Been getting rave impressions from those who have had the opportunity to preview the game.

Last edited:
I think Silent Hill is the best when it comes to the horror elements and the scares and character/environmental designs and Konami really knew how to make an unsettling atmosphere and the plus the story is much more intriguing and complex than Resident Evil. However when it comes to actual gameplay itself then I think Resident Evil is better in that respect although it has very much turned into a action game now rather than a survival horror. I suppose they both have a different feel, Silent Hill works well as pure horror because of the sense of isolation which Resident Evil is now kind of gung-ho in its approach.

Resident Evil wins out every time for me.

Resident Evil 2 and 4 were awesome. I enjoyed 5, but it wasn't scary, Capcom have gonedown a more action oriented route now it would seem.

Resident Evil wins out every time for me.

Resident Evil 2 and 4 were awesome. I enjoyed 5, but it wasn't scary, Capcom have gonedown a more action oriented route now it would seem.

These are also my favorite games in the series but I was really impressed with the remake of the original Resident Evil for the Gamecube. Beautiful game. Luckily it's going to be re-released for Wii. Pick it up.

aaah! two of my favorite games!!! hmm... well tough one i must say. the best RE imo was Code Veronica... I get so thrilled when I play that game,it's perfect... But RE4 despite being good was more...action paced... And as for Silent Hill,the atmosphere and story is creepier, so I guess I'd have to say SH, especially 2 & 3... amazing game.

Resident Evil! I have been a huge fan since day one and the games took a brilliant turn with Resident Evil 4 and now 5. Great great games. Silent Hill didn't evolve and remains dated.

i loved the very first silent hill game for the psone but got bored with the series as it progressed.

I find the resident evil series to be highly entertaining so much so that i have many of the resident evil novels which gives more info on the umbrella corporation.

My fav resident evil game is resident evil 5 especially with the online co-op mode.

Right Computer Gamers! When it comes down to the survival horror genre in games, these two franchises are always important players. My question is, which one do you lot like more?

Personally I go for Silent Hill everytime. I am a big fan of Japanese Horror in film, and Silent Hill contains a lot of the characteristics of this. I think its far more athmospheric and the monsters are a LOT cooler than the Resi ones. Although Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games I have ever played. :)

I think RE5 isn't RE anymore, 5 was all about action, no tacticts, or survival-horror, I hate RE5, but 1-4 and Code veronica are all very good.

Silent Hill is more about horror. SH 2 has the deepest story, but I like SH 1, it's so scary. I never played the room, many said it's not so good.

RE2 and CV are my favorite RE games. SH1&2 are the best Silent hill games.

IMO, The Room is the worst part when it comes to gameplay, but it scares the sh*t out of you. Maybe the scariest part.

Silent hill, but I would recommend Dead Space

I agree, if you like horror then Dead Space is a great game to get, its a mixture of sci-fi/horror and has lot of elements from the film Alien especially in terms of the ship itself and the environment. I would say that Dead Space is like Resident Evil 4 and 5 in terms of gameplay but has more horror elements in it than Resident Evil 5 with a little bit of Bioshock thrown in with regards to how the story is told.

I've only played the Resident Evil games which I think are really good.I may give Silent Hill a go.I'm just about to get a PS3 & get propper into games.Which of the S.H games are best? 1 & 2?

Back