Report: Phil Anschutz has already recouped all losses from canceled Michael Jackson tour

AmberR

Proud Member
Report: Phil Anschutz has already recouped all losses from canceled Michael Jackson tour
By Michael Roberts in Follow That Story, Television & Film
Mon., Oct. 26 2009 @ 11:46AM

"This Is It" -- another opportunity for Phil Anschutz to make bank.
​In a June blog," I described Mile High gazillionaire Phil Anschutz as "among the sharpest businessmen to ever call Colorado home" -- and he's proven it again by the way he's turned a possible financial bath into what looks like an impressive windfall. AEG Live, one of Anschutz's many companies, was slated to promote the Michael Jackson tour that never was -- and because the firm had been unable to secure insurance for all the dates, the gigs' cancellation seemed likely to cost Anschutz in the tens of millions.

So how has he managed to turn all that red ink black? A little film called This Is It.

The documentary, built from rehearsal footage of the aborted tour, is scheduled to open on Friday, and theaters all over the world have already sold out early screenings. That's good news for Anschutz, as outlined in a Bloomberg story:

Jackson's estate gets 90 percent of profit from the movie after Sony is paid for its role, including marketing and distribution fees, according to two people with knowledge of the arrangement. Concert promoter AEG Live, owned by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, gets the remaining 10 percent.

The promoter recouped about $36 million it invested in Jackson's canceled tour from the $60 million Sony paid for rehearsal footage, according to one of the people.

Are these numbers accurate? An interview request has been left with AEG Live's Michael Roth; when and if he replies, I'll update this item. In the meantime, though, it appears that what looked to be a rare misstep by Anschutz has landed him in a very good place. As usual.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/10/report_phil_anschutz_has_alrea.php

Jackson's estate gets 90 percent of profit from the movie after Sony is paid for its role, including marketing and distribution fees, according to two people with knowledge of the arrangement. Concert promoter AEG Live, owned by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, gets the remaining 10 percent.

The promoter recouped about $36 million it invested in Jackson's canceled tour from the $60 million Sony paid for rehearsal footage, according to one of the people.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/10/report_phil_anschutz_has_alrea.php

The movie and the exhibition is now a partnership with AEG. MJ's estate is CERTAINLY not paying for the movie advertising (only Sony is footing that bill) or the exhibition (the estate won't pay rent to the O2 for the 3 months exhibition as they own the place, so I am assuming AEG is picking up the tab)....in return AEG is sharing in the profits.

MJ's estate don't have the liquidity to do all these projects on its own, the upfront cost would be too much...And BOTH the judge AND MJ3 ad litem attorney thought the deals were fair.

Katherine's attorney agreed with the movie deal from the get go...they had issues with the exhibition, but the judge thought the issues were ridiculous and signed on the deals.

Is This is NOT it now assuming the deals were unfair?????

And most important question, how reliable is that blog?

The propaganda campaign is getting boring and tiresome.

I don't really know what to think about "This Is NOT It" - seems like they are making problems that never were. I mean everyone thought these deals where great for the MJ estate. Now suddenly they don't think so or what?

They are making problems that have never existed.

As I sat in the theatre ready for the film to start, I was reminded that there was wayyyy more money to be made in this film for certain interested parties than there ever was to be made by the shows alone. That realisation continues to stay with me.

As I sat in the theatre ready for the film to start, I was reminded that there was wayyyy more money to be made in this film for certain interested parties than there ever was to be made by the shows alone. That realisation continues to stay with me.
I agree.

I don't really know what to think about "This Is NOT It" - seems like they are making problems that never were. I mean everyone thought these deals where great for the MJ estate. Now suddenly they don't think so or what?

They are making problems that have never existed.

Do you know what problems were there?

MJ estate is a joke, without that 2002 will and John Branca as an executor, AEG and Sony wouldn't have this movie out for you all.

Back