Remembering The Simpsons' dalliance with Michael Jackson

Pascal09

Proud Member
http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...iance+with+Michael+Jackson/2024660/story.html

By Alex Strachan, Canwest News ServiceSeptember 23, 2009

PASADENA, Calif. — Talk about a “thriller” experience.

Al Jean still remembers the day he worked with Michael Jackson on The Simpsons 1991 episode “Stark Raving Dad,” in which Jackson — under the pseudonym John Jay Smith — performed the speaking voice of Leon Kompowsky, “a big white guy who thinks he’s a little black guy.”

Jackson, a longtime Simpsons fan, had called executive-producer James L. Brooks out of the blue, Jean told Canwest News Service and offered to do a guest-voice role.

Brooks came up with the initial idea of an overweight mental patient who thinks he’s Michael Jackson, then asked Jean and Jean’s co-writer at the time, Mike Reiss, to write the script.

“Like a lot of things involving Michael, it was full of mystery and intrigue,” Jean recalled of his experience. “Musically, there was no doubt he was a genius. I’m not the first person to say that. But it was also probably the most high-pressure assignment of my life, except for doing The Simpsons Movie.”

Jackson wouldn’t commit to doing the episode until the actual table read, Jean recalled.

“Which is the only time that’s happened in the history of The Simpsons.”

The table read was at the house of Michael Jackson’s agent at the time. Jackson was there, but one of the cast members — Jean wouldn’t say who — was half an hour late in arriving.

“So we’re just sitting there in silence, very nervously,” Jean said. “Then, finally, we have everyone there, and we start to read. And we come to his lines, and — thank God — he laughs.”

The following Monday, Jackson suddenly stipulated that he wanted a sound-alike to do the singing in the episode. He would record his own dialogue, though.

Oookay, Jean thought. That’s a little — weird. But, what the hey, it’s Michael Jackson. Roll with it.

The singing chores fell to singer-songwriter Kipp Lennon, lead singer at the time for a rock band called Venice. Jackson thought Lennon was hilarious, Jean recalled. Cue a sigh of relief.

Then, things got complicated.

Jackson wrote the song “Happy Birthday Lisa,” which appears in the episode, Jean confirmed, and was later included in the album Songs in the Key of Springfield.

“Singing in the show is Kipp,” Jean explained. “Speaking in the show is Michael. And the song, ‘Happy Birthday Lisa,’ was written by Michael, but sung by Kipp.”

Got all that?

The Fox network repeated the episode shortly after Jackson’s sudden death on June 25 of heart failure.

Jean said he wanted to look at the episode again before it aired.

“I wanted to make sure it was OK,” he explained. “We had to make one fix, but it had nothing to do with Michael. There was a phone number there that is now a real phone number, so we had to blot that out digitally. Otherwise, it was unchanged.”

Looking back after Jackson’s death was hard, Jean admitted.

“I’d met him briefly when we did the episode, but I wouldn’t say I knew him well. Obviously so much happened between then and now that, when you watch the episode, you can’t help but have mixed feelings. I think he was brilliant. And he was very nice to us. He was a genius, but clearly a troubled guy. It’s sad the way it ended, and it’s sad he’s not with us here today.”

great episode , shame MJ didnt do the audio commentary for the dvd boxset

so wait...he did the voice of leon in the show and wrote the song "happy birthday lisa", but didn't sing it in the show? am i right? and then in the credits he wasn't credited as "michael jackson" it was john jay smith....whyd he make things so complicated??

so wait...he did the voice of leon in the show and wrote the song "happy birthday lisa", but didn't sing it in the show? am i right? and then in the credits he wasn't credited as "michael jackson" it was john jay smith....whyd he make things so complicated??

Probably had something to do with the record label.

matt groening (creator of the simpsons) said that he was not able to sing due to his record contract. They (the cast and producers of simpsons) were used to joke that "they could not afford a singing michael jackson"

see the below video starts at 3:10 mark (keep in mind this panel was in 2004 or 2005)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkd6Q7aweQE

also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_Raving_Dad

Last edited:
great episode that one! I love it.

The singing does annoy me though cos to the fan's well trained ears, it is obvious it's not MJ.

This is my all time favorite episode of the Simpsons.. Lord knows I wish he cld've sung but hey Sony wldn't allow him 2 do any singing..

When Mike was like "Hi I'm Michael Jackson of the Jacksons". Homer said "Homer Simpson of the Simpsons".. f'n classic..

I love the simpsons too!

Do the bartman!!! lol

My cousin is a huge MJ fan and he was always convinced that Michael had wrote 'Do the Bartman'??

I never knew if he was winding me up?? He probably was and now after all these years I have finally fallen for it?? Oh dear.

But did anyone else ever hear that?

My cousin is a huge MJ fan and he was always convinced that Michael had wrote 'Do the Bartman'??

I never knew if he was winding me up?? He probably was and now after all these years I have finally fallen for it?? Oh dear.

YES Michael did write the song "Do The Bartman". In fact according to one of the creators of the show (Or it might have been one of the cast members), Michael apparently said something like "I want to write a song for Bart and make it number one." And then the creator of the show was like "And he did." And this was when they were talking about this song. Michael wrote it and may have produced it too, NOT sure on the latter, BUT he DID write it. Listen to the commentary on the "Stark Raving Dad" episode from season 3 it's all there.

And the show did say a few jokes at Mike's expense in later seasons. The one in particular I thought was just flat out wrong was when Bart and Milhouse were cleaning I guess the church organ after having gotten in trouble and the topic of "souls" come up. And bart says (and I quote) "A soul is just something parents make up to scare kids like Michael Jackson." Parents may have been adults or grownups but that was basically the "joke". So yeah, like most jokes in recent years, they were pretty below the belt.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Simpsons, but on some things it just wasn't cool.

oooh i remember this one!
really good episode too!

I remember being really confused if it was MJ or not, after watching it for the first time... :)

yes he did write and produce that song. some say he's even on the back vokals (although this was never confirmed).He was not credited due to his record contract. Matt Groening confirmed that MJ was indeed the one who wrote the song in 1998.

edit : listen to the song. but not to the chorus. in the song somebody just says "do the bartman" , some people believe that person is MJ.

The song also has 2 references to Michael. First Bart says "If you can do the Bart, you're bad like Michael Jackson", then when his song and dance gets real popular in the video he says " Eat your heart out, Michael".

Last edited:
I thought "Bartman" was produced by Bryan Loren.

Loren was the one that was credited on the album both as the writer and the producer. some say it was actually MJ wrote and produced the song, some say MJ wrote and Loren produced the song and some say MJ and Loren was co-writers and co-producers. Take your pick. :)

ps: I checked Matt Groening's actual comment and he says " I can't believe that no one found out that Michael Jackson wrote that song". He does not elaborate on who actually produced it.

Edit : Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart) in her book talks about the song, meeting with MJ and him asking her for her autograph. From her story it looks like he was involved in recording of the song as well. (They recorded the song before he did the voice over for one of the episodes).

Loren was the one that was credited on the album both as the writer and the producer. some say it was actually MJ wrote and produced the song, some say MJ wrote and Loren produced the song and some say MJ and Loren was co-writers and co-producers. Take your pick. :)

ps: I checked Matt Groening's actual comment and he says " I can't believe that no one found out that Michael Jackson wrote that song". He does not elaborate on who actually produced it.

Edit : Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart) in her book talks about the song, meeting with MJ and him asking her for her autograph. From her story it looks like he was involved in recording of the song as well. (They recorded the song before he did the voice over for one of the episodes).
I personally liked "Deep Deep Trouble" better, which was done by DJ Jazzy Jeff.

YES Michael did write the song "Do The Bartman". In fact according to one of the creators of the show (Or it might have been one of the cast members), Michael apparently said something like "I want to write a song for Bart and make it number one." And then the creator of the show was like "And he did." And this was when they were talking about this song. Michael wrote it and may have produced it too, NOT sure on the latter, BUT he DID write it. Listen to the commentary on the "Stark Raving Dad" episode from season 3 it's all there.QUOTE]

All these years I thought my cousin had been winding me up. Thats quite cool??

I actually bought 'Do the Bartman' years ago and never knew this??

God have I just admitted that??!!

Back