Remember Hiroshima

MIST

Proud Member
Thousands gather to remember Hiroshima bombings
Important to remember Hiroshima, Nagasaki
Hamilton Spectator

Remembrance

As Hamiltonians sweat it out with global warming, it is astonishing how many of us find the subject of nuclear abolition (yawn ...) unconnected to our environment, because the fact is that another nuclear exchange would do irreversible damage to our ecosystem.

Since 1987, when Mayor Bob Morrow declared Aug. 6 and 9 “Hiroshima-Nagasaki Remembrance Days,” we have stood in community with the people of Japan as we remember those horrific events. Again this year, on Aug. 9 at noon at City Hall, a gathering of Hamiltonians will reflect and pledge our determination to do whatever we can to see that such destruction to our environment, and innumerable deaths of innocent people, will not be repeated.

Of course, we’d rather not think about this at all since it is summer and time for having fun. However, our humanity tells us this is the decent thing to do – to remember those whose lives were cut out from under them while going about their normal day’s routine.

We urge others to take a brief time out of their relaxation to join us.

Louise Rogers, Dundas
http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/2250707-important-to-remember-hiroshima-nagasaki-/

Posted: Aug 06, 2013 4:28 PM
Updated: Aug 06, 2013 4:28 PM

Tens of thousands gather to remember the 68th anniversary of the devastating Hiroshima bomb. (Source: AVN/NHK/CNN)HIROSHIMA, JAPAN (AVN/NHK/CNN) - About 50,000 people from Japan and abroad came to Hiroshima to commemorate the 68th anniversary of the atomic bombings.

A memorial service was held in the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, marking the day the US military dropped an atomic bomb on the city on August 6 in 1945.

During the memorial ceremony, participants prayed silently at 8:15 a.m., the moment the bomb was dropped.

Hiroshima mayor Kazumi Matsui spoke about the bomb as evil and the ultimate inhumane weapon. He urged the Japanese government to strengthen ties with other countries to pursue the abolition of nuclear weapons.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe spoke about the Japanese people's responsibility to promote a world free of nuclear weapons. He said Japan is the only nation in the world to have suffered an atomic bombing.

The names of victims are stored in a stone vault. They now total about 280,000. This year 5,800 names were added for the elderly survivors who died in the past 12 months.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/23057286/thousands-gather-to-remember-hiroshima-bombings

Hiroshima day for a nuclear-free world.
Where I live some folded paper lanterns earlier today and tonight they are going to put them down in the stream and churchbells will ring.I think they put candles in the lanterns too.
Never again

Never again. I hope one day the world can live as one and abolish nuclear weapons.

Listen to Henry Fonda at 0:54 with a quote from Anne Frank.
I think I need to read her diary again.

Back