Remade songs

MLR930

Proud Member
In light of the new WATW remake, are there any cover songs that you like more than the originals?

I love The Sundays version of The Rolling Stone song "Wild Horses"

MJ's version of Lenny Kravitz's "Storm" (Another Day). :D

I like Al Green's How Can You Mend A Broken Heart better than the Bee Gees original, although I like theirs too. I also like I Don't Know Why by the Brand New Heavies and You And I by O'Bryan better than the original versions from Stevie Wonder. Aretha Franklin's Respect is better to me than the Otis Redding original, and her cover of the Rolling Stones' Jumping Jack Flash is also better although a couple of the Stones play on her version. I also prefer En Vogue's Yesterday to the original Beatles version or any other cover of it. Speaking of Beatles, I kinda like Earth Wind & Fire's Got To Get You Into My Life cover better. James Brown had a tendency to remake his own songs over and over, sometimes with different titles. So I like his Public Enemy 1 & 2 better than the earlier King Heroin

Speaking of Public Enemy, I like the remake of their own song they did w/ Anthrax better than their original, though both are really cool songs IMO.

As for MJ songs, I like Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal a lot, and David Ruffin's I Want You back a lot (though not more than the originals, though I'm biased lol, so I'll give 'honorable mention').

Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watch Tower (Dylan original).

Hendrix's cover of Like a Rolling Stone from the '67 Monteray Pop Festival (Dylan orignal).

Rolling Stones' Just My Imagination (Temptations, though I may like the original better, but the cover is damn good IMO).

Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work It Out" over the Beatles, though I like the Beatles too.

Stevie Wonder's "Blowing in the Wind" (Dylan original)

Jermaine Jackson's/Jackson 5's "Bridge over Troubled Water" (Simon & Garfunkle)

Otis Redding's Satsifaction (Rolling Stones)

Jackson 5's "Who's Loving You" (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)

Guns N Roses' Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney)

Guns N' Roses' Knockin on Heavin's Door (album cut; Dylan)

There's lots of good covers out there, but just using as criteria as preferring one over the other, I think that's all I could think of for now.

a few i can think of:

Guns N' Roses - Knockin on Heaven's Door
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus and Tainted Love
Korn- Another Brick in the Wall
as Joey above said AAF's Smooth Criminal is pretty good but not as good as MJ's ;)
Michael Jackson - Come Togther :D

I'm sure there are lots more i might have a look later

Last edited:
MJ's version of Lenny Kravitz's "Storm" (Another Day). :D

ditto. along with Elton John's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Earth Wind And Fire's 'Got To Get You Into My Life', Michael Jackson's 'Come Together' George Benson's 'Unchained Melody' Michael Jackson's 'Smile'

oh and I almost forgot Jackson 5's "Rockin Robin"

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (Although, I really like Dolly Parton's version as well. But for me, nothing beats Whitney's. :) )

Jackson 5 - Who's Loving You

I don't know if I like it better, but I like Wham!'s Love Machine, just as well as the original version by The Miracles. Actually, they sound identical. I also like Going In Circles by the Gap Band better than the one by Friends Of Distinction. I don't really like the original version at all.

There's a lot of remade songs that I love.

I love Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal!
I also love Britney Spear's version of I Love Rock n' Roll.

I like all the songs michael remade, he didn't do much as an adult but at motown he and his brothers covered many classics which i like as much or even more then the originals.

I'm a big fan of songs crossing genres when being re-made.

Gun - Word Up (Cameo)
[youtube]9VlSE4OpKDU[/youtube]

Hue & Cry - Crazy In Love (Beyonce)
[youtube]eIs679wQ0vk[/youtube]

McAlmont & Butler - Back for Good (Take That)
[youtube]fPXrGqvfSE8[/youtube]

Codeine Velvet Club - I Am The Resurrection (Stone Roses)
[youtube]0luMnBMiiiY[/youtube]

Back