MJs religious songs - the church of Michael Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_Street

Proud Member
Let's collect and interpret the religious lyrics in Michael's songs.

I'll start with Heal the World:
See the nations turn their swords into plowshares
Swords to ploughshares (or plowshares) is a concept in which military weapons or technologies are converted for peaceful civilian applications.
The phrase originates from the Book of Isaiah chapter 2:
Many peoples shall come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths." For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. –
— Isaiah 2:3–4
The ploughshare (Hebrew: אֵת ’êṯ, also translated coulter) is often used to symbolize creative tools that benefit humankind, as opposed to destructive tools of war, symbolized by the sword (Hebrew: חֶרֶב ḥereḇ), a similar sharp metal tool with an arguably opposite use.

Last edited:
I'm continuing with Speechless:

Helpless and hopeless, that's how I feel inside
Nothing's real, but all is possible if God is on my side
When I'm with you, I'm in the light where I can not be found
It's as though I am standing in the place called 'Hallowed Ground'

The concept of things being made or associated with the sacred is widespread among religions, making people, places, and objects revered, set apart for special use or purpose, or transferred to the sacred sphere. Words for this include hallow, sanctify, and consecrate, which can be contrasted with desecration and deconsecration. These terms are used in various ways by different groups.
The verb form 'to hallow' is archaic in English, and does not appear other than in the quoted text in the Lord's Prayer in the New Testament.[13][14][15]

The beginning of his 'Will You Be There' song is also a clear reference to religion:

"Hold me, Like the River Jordan, And I will then say to thee, You are my friend"

The above is a Biblical reference to the ritual purification of Jesus who was baptized (on the banks of the Jordan River) with water by John the Baptist.

I used to think, that Hollywood Tonight has some religious implication. In the beginning we can hear church choir, also there were lyrics about purity and innocense of main character - "She was taught that that's not clean, because she's only fifteen" Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think that this song has something to do with religion

This may have nothing to do with religion but hear me out. In the very beginning of Who Is It, there is a choir and that choir sounds a lot like Weird Al Yankovinc's song ending for Amish Paradise and as we all know the Amish are very very religious. So yea.

I'll throw in a few lyrics for interpretation:

Only god could decide
Who will live and who will die
There's nothing that can't be done
If we raise our voice as one
- We've Had Enough

How can we preach
When all we make this world to be
Is a living hell torturing our mind?
We all must unite
To turn darkness to light
And the love in our hearts will shine
- Shout

Those abortion papers
Signin' your name against the word of god
Those abortion papers
Think about life, I'd like to have my child
- Abortion Papers

And her mouth was
Smoother than oil
But her inner spirit and words
Were as sharp as
A two-edged sword
- Dangerous

The Son of Man is portrayed as walking (2:1) among seven lampstands, which represent the seven churches of Asia (1:20). In Revelation 1:11, he says, "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches". Chapters 2 and 3 report the content of the letters written to the angels of the seven churches. Throughout the letters he is identified in terms of the vision, such as "him who has the sharp, double-edged sword" (Revelation 2:12).
Double-edged sword coming out of his mouthEphesians 6:17 "And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.""His Word that works to save and to destroy"[6]

Last edited:
This may have nothing to do with religion but hear me out. In the very beginning of Who Is It, there is a choir and that choir sounds a lot like Weird Al Yankovinc's song ending for Amish Paradise and as we all know the Amish are very very religious. So yea.
Do you know the song 'Pastime Paradise'..?

There's a few isolated lines in various songs, which can easily be interpreted as having religious or spiritual meanings. I'm not surprised, though - Michael was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, and even after he left them he still looked into other faiths. Earth Song has the lyric of "What have we done to the world? Look what we've done; what about all the peace, that You pledged Your only Son?" Who Is It briefly has Michael describing himself as both "the damned" and "the dead". Dangerous has a line that says the following: "I have to pray to God, cause I know how lust can blind." And then to drive similar points home further, songs like Heaven Can Wait, Keep the Faith, and Will You Be There all have messages about ideas beyond this Earth.

We're all a part of God's great big family
And the truth, you know, love is all we need

As God has shown us by turning stones to bread
And so we all must lend a helping hand
- We Are the World

We pray for our fathers
Pray for our mothers
Wishing our families well
- The Lost Children

It was all for God's sake
For her singing the tune
For someone to feel her despair
To be damned to know hoping is dead and you're doomed
Then to scream out
And nobody's there
She knew no one cared
- Little Susie

Last edited:
Don′t cry
I won't convert you

Oh God, he's taking Demerol
- Morphine

Are you going to talk about the original They Don’t Care About Us Lyrics? That’s the most obvious when we’re talking about religion in MJ songs.

Are you going to talk about the original They Don’t Care About Us Lyrics? That’s the most obvious when we’re talking about religion in MJ songs.
Oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy
Set me free
In religion, a prophecy is a message that has been communicated to a person (typically called a prophet) by a supernatural entity. Prophecies are a feature of many cultures and belief systems and usually contain divine will or law, or preternatural knowledge, for example of future events. They can be revealed to the prophet in various ways depending on the religion and the story, such as visions, or direct interaction with divine beings in physical form. Stories of prophetic deeds sometimes receive considerable attention and some have been known to survive for centuries through oral tradition or as religious texts.

Last edited:
You're preaching about my life like you're the law
Gonna live each day and hour like for me there's no tomorrow
- Speed Demon

Well, Lord have mercy
Well, Lord have mercy
This ain't no good for me
This ain't no good for me, babe

Every time I want to say it
It is just too much for me
I don't ever want to say it
'Cause of all the blasphemy
- Monkey Business

The prayer, Kýrie, eléison, "Lord, have mercy" derives from a Biblical phrase. Greek ἐλέησόν με κύριε, 'have mercy on me, Lord', is the Septuagint translation of the phrase חָנֵּנִי יְהוָה often found in the Psalms (6:2, 9:13, 31:9, 86:3, and 123:3).

In the New Testament, the Greek phrase occurs three times in Matthew:
  • Matthew 15:22: the Canaanite woman cries out to Jesus, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David." (Ἐλέησόν με κύριε υἱὲ Δαβίδ)
  • Matthew 17:15: "Lord, have mercy on my son" (Κύριε ἐλέησόν μου τὸν υἱόν)
  • Matthew 20:30: two unnamed blind men call out to Jesus, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David." (Ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς κύριε υἱὸς Δαβίδ)
In the Parable of the Publican and the Pharisee (Luke 18:9–14) the despised tax collector who cries out "Lord have mercy on me, a sinner" is contrasted with the smug Pharisee who believes he has no need for forgiveness.
Luke 17:13 has epistates, 'master', instead of kyrios, 'lord', (Ἰησοῦ ἐπιστάτα ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς), being less suggestive of the kyrios 'lord' used as euphemism for YHWH in the Septuagint.
There are other examples in the text of the gospels without the kyrie 'lord', e.g. Mark 10:46, where blind Bartimaeus cries out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me."
In the biblical text, the phrase is always personalized by an explicit object (such as "on me", "on us", "on my son"),[2] while in the Eucharistic celebration it can be seen more as a general expression of confidence in God's love.[3]: 293 

Last edited:
Only God knows that it's all in the game
It's all in Your Name
Carry me to the Gates of Paradise
They're the same
It's all in Your Name
- All In Your Name

though there are no direct scriptural references, I believe the entire song ‘the man (duet with paul mccartney)’ could possibly be a witness for Jesus Christ;

there’s a man, who plays the game of life so well’

Jesus is looked at as being the living example of how his followers should live

don’t you know, this man do anything

Jesus performed many miracles recorded in the bible.

ooh, there’s such a man, I wish that we could bring’

the desire and attempt to share his message with the world.

ooh there’s such a man, his thoughts you can never tell’

there’s a man that everybody thought they knew’

every denomination/sect has their own understanding of who ‘the man’ is, which often leads to misunderstandings. however, there is one truth, which is what the Jehovah’s Witnesses (michael was one of during the release of this song) refer to their organisation as.

ooh there’s such a man, he’s not like me and you’

Christ presented as a human man, but he was actually the son of God.

the song could also be about transcendence, prophecy, and the promise of eternal life on paradise earth.🌍

and it’s just they way *he thought it would be
‘cause the day has come for him to be free
then he laughs, he smiled and rolls up his sleeves
I’m alive and I’m here forever
’ - this line was quoted at michael’s memorial.
*he/she are used interchangeably to represent the different experiences.

as he says something has happened to me’

note: this is all just speculation and interpretation. it is not an endorsement of the religion.

Last edited:
though there are no direct scriptural references, I believe the entire song ‘the man (duet with paul mccartney)’ could possibly be a witness for Jesus Christ;
from a fan site:
[…] if you say ‘The Man’, it can mean God, it can mean ‘Women, listen to your man’, it can mean so many things. Later I did a song with Michael Jackson called ‘The Man’ and again, it’s quite nice leaving things ambiguous: I’m sure for Michael, probably ‘The Man’ meant God.
Paul McCartney, from Club Sandwich N°47/48, Spring 1988, commenting about the song “Listen To What The Man Said”

Tell me what I have to do so you'll stay
Should I get down on my knees and pray
- Don't Walk Away

in ‘billie jean’ he sings ‘for 40 days and for 40 nights’
that’s a reference to how long Jesus spent in the desert being tempted by satan. it’s interesting because the song also deals with temptation.
Along with that, it rained for 40 days and 40 night during Noah's flood

The only solution for peace is increasing the height of your spirituality
- Shout

And when that flag blows
There'll be no more wars
And when all calls
I will answer all your prayers, prayers
- Cry

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust
The pressure's building and I've had enough
- Shout
If you’ve ever attended a funeral, there’s a good chance you’ve heard the phrase “ashes to ashes, dust to dust” being used at some point in the ceremony. If not at a funeral, many have heard this phrase said by a priest on with Ash Wednesday during Lent when ashes are put on the forehead of congregants. "Ashes to ashes" is actually an image (although not an exact phrase) that comes up various times in the Bible, which helps us to meditate on our sinful nature and our own mortality. Let’s take a look at where the phrase comes from and what the Bible has to say about it.
The exact phrase ashes to ashes, dust to dust is actually from the Church of England’s Book of Common Prayer and is used for burial services. However, the idea of returning to the dust and covering oneself with ashes both appear multiple times in the Bible.

What is the Biblical Origin of "Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust" Saying?​

“Returning to dust” is a metaphor for death. God forms Adam from the earth (Genesis 2:7), and after Adam and Eve sin, God tells Adam, “By the sweat of your brow will you have food to eat until you return to the ground from which you were made. For you were made from dust to dust you will return” (Genesis 3:19). So, within the context of Judeo-Christian thought, dust is where humanity came from and where all humanity returns in death.

Covering oneself with ashes or dust was a way of doing penance, humbling oneself before God, usually along with wearing sackcloth (hence the expression “sackcloth and ashes”). Nehemiah 9 describes the people of Israel coming together to confess their sins, “fasting and wearing sackcloth and putting dust on their heads” (Nehemiah 9:1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back