record store day

moonstreet

Guests
http://www.recordstoreday.com

On Saturday, April 19, 2008, hundreds of independently owned music stores across the country will celebrate “Record Store Day.”
On this day, all of these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally.

Zak Frankel, Zia Records
Record Store Day is a day to show all fans of music that true interest and artistry can co-exist with retail and still have a personal touch.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SOUTH BY SOUTHWEST COMMUNIQUE:
METALLICA CONFIRM IN-STORE SIGNING AT RASPUTIN MUSIC IN CELEBRATION OF RECORD STORE DAY

March, 14, 2008: Austin, TX: While here at this SxSW 2008, organizers of RECORD STORE DAY in conjunction with Warner Bros. Records are pleased to announce that Metallica will officially launch Record Store Day on Saturday, April 19th, with an in-store signing and fan meet and greet at Rasputin Music’s Mountain View store near San Francisco, California (www.rasputinmusic.com). The event, the band’s first in-store appearance in nearly a decade, will also celebrate the 180 gram vinyl re-release of the band’s classic albums "Kill ‘Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" on April 15th.

The already heavily anticipated RECORD STORE DAY celebration will include the participation of hundreds of independently owned music stores across the country. All of these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally. The support from musicians, fans, customers and the record industry by and large has been overwhelmingly evident from mash book entries. Visit: (www.recordstoreday.com)

"There’s nothing as glamorous to me as a record store. When I recently played Amoeba in LA, I realised what fantastic memories such a collection of music brings back when you see it all in one place. This is why I’m more than happy to support Record Store Day and I hope that these kinds of stores will be there for us all for many years to come. Cheers!" -- PAUL MC CARTNEY

“It’s important to keep indie record stores alive because their unique environments introduce music lovers to things in a very personal way.” – NORAH JONES

“I have watched independent record stores evaporate all over America and Europe. That's why I go into as many as I can and buy records whenever possible. If we lose the independent record store, we lose big. Every time you buy your records at one of these places, it's a blow to the empire.” –HENRY ROLLINS

"You can't roll a joint on an iPod - buy vinyl!" --SHELBY LYNNE

In addition to the above, record store stories from the likes of Cameron Crowe, Chuck Berry, Damien Rice, Damon Albarn, Del The Funky Homosapien, Ian Gillan, Joan Jett, kt Tunstall, Mike Patton, Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers), Patton Oswalt, Regina Spektor, Sam Phillips, Ziggy Marley, have been pouring in and the list keeps growing.

“For most indie record stores, the rumors of our demise are not just greatly exaggerated, they’re downright confusing,” says the organizers behind RECORD STORE DAY. As we continue to provide our communities with a rallying point for the arts, our customers are speaking loud and clear, “We’re not letting you guys go anywhere.”

Spearheaded by the Alliance of Independent Media Stores, Coalition Of Independent Music Stores, Music Monitor Network, Newbury Comics, Value Music Group of Indie Stores RECORD STORE DAY will work to set up special events at all participating stores on said date. The participating stores will provide customers with goodie bags filled with new formats, new releases, and exciting information on music, theatrical, comic book and gaming releases. They will also link to run extensive marketing campaigns both on a national level and a local level.

Prior to RECORD STORE DAY, the aforementioned coalitions hosted a successful introductory party on Saturday, March 15, at Waterloo Park here in Austin to further discuss this event. The Austin event was kicked into high gear with the announcement of the Metallica in-store. More news on this and other RECORD STORE DAY developments soon to come.

www.metallica.com
www.recordstoreday.com

well, I have an ipod :(

But I only buy music from the record store or itunes.

I think it's a great idea. I Loooove going to the record store!
Now they just need to find a way to prosecute those downloaders and bootleg buyers that download or illegally sell/buy RELEASED material!!!!!!!!!! How is this getting so easy for folks to outright steal when they can go to the store and buy it?

Back