Record labels joining to push music on new physical format

arXter

Proud Member
SanDisk introduces SlotMusic, new music format

22.09.2008 AP

SlotMusicCardtmStraight190.jpg

Just as vinyl once gave way to compact discs as the main physical medium for music, could CDs be replaced now by a fingernail-sized memory card?

Backed by four major music labels, SanDisk on Monday announced a new physical music format dubbed “SlotMusic” that’s essentially an entire album on a MicroSD compact memory card. Wal-Mart and Best Buy are among the retailers that have already signed on to start selling the cards for the upcoming holiday season. With CD sales continuing to flounder, this latest effort to boost physical media sales is aimed at users of the millions of cell phones and MP3 players with MicroSD slots. They can insert the card right into the slot and immediately hear the music. The card will also come with a USB sleeve so it can be plugged in directly to any USB-enabled computer.

SlotMusic cards will be sold without digital rights management restrictions and in the form of MP3 files from EMI Music, Sony BMG, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group. A joint press release from all the involved parties is scant on details about what will be released in SlotMusic format. But The Wall Street Journal (subscription required), citing people close to the record companies and retailers, says the initial release batch will be 29 albums from all four of the involved labels. Also not mentioned in the release is anything about pricing. The New York Times‘ Saul Hansell, however, says a record label executive told him he estimates they’ll go for $7 to $10.​

LAME.

Yeah, just what we want, to carry around dozens of tiny, fingernail-sized cards.

It's software+hardware+digital media. It's why Apple is so successful: They don't make the best players, the best software, or have the highest-quality audio (it's also crippled with DRM), but the combination of the three makes it unbeatable.

They need to create a quality digital media player and open up a lossless store where you can buy your media in a lossless format and convert it and burn it as you wish.

I think the next big format should have an improvement in sound quality (not the other way around).

They need to create a quality digital media player and open up a lossless store where you can buy your media in a lossless format and convert it and burn it as you wish.

I think the next big format should have an improvement in sound quality (not the other way around).
exactly right. the current CD is at 16 bits depth and 44kHz rate which has long been ditched by professionals when recording their audio (they now record at over 24-bit with a rate of at least 48kHz).

anyone with even a slight regard for music would think they'd bring out a lossless medium that won't put the studio quality advances down for nothing. instead, they opt for something that's even worst than the CD LOL it's sad.

That's just f%cking pointless!!!

Oh please just keep the CD's!

U don't need a memory card for that. Just have customers plug in their mobile phones or mp3 player directly at the store and upload it there.

And by the way Sony Ericsson has an agreement with the major record companies for access and to buy music at their www.playnow-arena.com. And their new phones will have direct link to it so you can download it directly to your phone and then to your mp3 or computer if you wish.

Totally LAME! I will stick to CD's too. I can't imagine anyone going around with 20 different cards to listen to music. Just think how easy it is to loose such thiny card! That's why everyone uses MP3 players on the go, and CD's at home.

Hell no, stoopidness, you cant get that small piece of poo autographed, it would not work, youd need a microscope to see it..

exactly right. the current CD is at 16 bits depth and 44kHz rate which has long been ditched by professionals when recording their audio (they now record at over 24-bit with a rate of at least 48kHz).

anyone with even a slight regard for music would think they'd bring out a lossless medium that won't put the studio quality advances down for nothing. instead, they opt for something that's even worst than the CD LOL it's sad.

really, what do we have to expect from the musicbiz. They're trying to put something new on the market that could buzz us all up in buying albums again, but that's obviously not goin to happen. Not in this day and age..

and about the quality, I yet to this day don't get how the world can settle down for avarage MP3's when not even your standard CD is that poor in quality, but then again, that's how we got in this MP3 craze at the first place - no one seems to bother (except us, musicians), as long as you can listen to the music you love, fast and easy..

Nighty, i heary you completely. another thing with the MP3 is that many people have ditched HiFis for bloody PC speakers! it doesn't even matter if you have the highest quality mp3 rip or even FLAC, or whatever the craze is these days... you're still getting doodoo through a dodgy speaker.

and you're right, i don't expect the industry to follow any quality standards for us. they are riding on the market, and mobiles is where it's all at. unfortunately, i see this large-scale prospect falling through and working for them.

Nighty, i heary you completely. another thing with the MP3 is that many people have ditched HiFis for bloody PC speakers! it doesn't even matter if you have the highest quality mp3 rip or even FLAC, or whatever the craze is these days... you're still getting doodoo through a dodgy speaker.

and you're right, i don't expect the industry to follow any quality standards for us. they are riding on the market, and mobiles is where it's all at. unfortunately, i see this large-scale prospect falling through and working for them.

Don't even get me started on PC speakers, can't stand them. I'm a lucky owner of a couple of Genelec monitors - sad part is you can notice the difference between a 128 kb/s MP3 from a 192 kb/s with them..

no doubt. i'm on tiny 5" KRK monitors and can still hear the massive difference. actually you could hear it through most commercial earphones too.

no doubt. i'm on tiny 5" KRK monitors and can still hear the massive difference. actually you could hear it through most commercial earphones too.

True, which makes me even more puzzled on the fast that people just go with MP3's like it's the best thing out there. I go with a couple of AKG headphones, so telling the difference is akwardly easy..

Oem_Sd_Card_512mb.jpg

Damn, we might as well bring game cartridges while we're at it
download-nes-01.jpg

Anybody wanna play some Duck Hunt?

This sucks. I'm sick of MP3's as it is. You can burn the damn song to a CD, but the quality is still shitty. This'll just make it worse. Isn't the purpose of switiching mediums to improve the sound quality? This is stepping backward, not forward. Bitches.

I don't mind mp3 for portable listening. I have an iPod and good headphones and rip all my CD's to ALAC, and convert those to 192kbps mp3 VBR and the sound is nice with the LAME mp3 encoder. Apple's 128kbps AAC audio isn't perfect, but the AAC encoder is pretty good. So I don't mind the lossy formats for listening. But when it comes to going to the store and purchasing music, I want lossless music. With 1GB of storage, they should be putting lossless tracks on there and still have enough room for a music video, digital booklet and more.

Hell, I'll buy vinyl before I buy one of those. Have anyone of you been in a quiet room and cranked a clean vinyl record recently? It blows even CD's out of the water.

Well that's how I feel. I don't mind MP3's on the go, they're convinient. But I want those same songs on a CD so that I can play it on the big stero and get that sound quality.

CD's equalize all the sound while vinyl's, if the artist wanted one sound to be softer then another, that would come out on a vinyl. That's why some people aregue they're better then CD's.

I don't mind mp3 for portable listening. I have an iPod and good headphones and rip all my CD's to ALAC, and convert those to 192kbps mp3 VBR and the sound is nice with the LAME mp3 encoder. Apple's 128kbps AAC audio isn't perfect, but the AAC encoder is pretty good. So I don't mind the lossy formats for listening. But when it comes to going to the store and purchasing music, I want lossless music. With 1GB of storage, they should be putting lossless tracks on there and still have enough room for a music video, digital booklet and more.

Hell, I'll buy vinyl before I buy one of those. Have anyone of you been in a quiet room and cranked a clean vinyl record recently? It blows even CD's out of the water.

I play vinyl every week:D beautiful thing isn't it?
specially when you spin a disc that is before our digital age - that analog sound funks your face off..

Well I do not know how good of a move this will be, people do not like to go out and buy a cd anymore, they like dling it from itunes or wherever

That's ridiculous. I admit that the music industry is in a sad state, but this is certainly not the answer. I'd rather buy a CD than some stupid memory stick; at least it'll look better on my shelf.

Won't someone or somebodies DESTROY the record industry for good?

That way, we can release music the way we want to regardless of what format, genre, style, whatever...

I actually liked the idea of the DualDisc a few years back. I actually bought a few albums in that format that I probably wouldn't have bought as a regular CD (I like nicely-done 5.1 mixes).

If it wasn't for the compatibility problems that they had, I think it would've been a pretty good format.

I bought "Get Lifted" on Dual-Disc and it had a nice featurette. I like Dual-Disc. Of course, they seem to have either dropped it or just made it pretty rare. Although I guess the CD+DVD is essentially the same thing.

Back