Really Dumb Questions

Dunk96

The Queen HBIC
So these are just a small segment of really dumb,random,and uncategorized Michael questions I have:

1.) What year exactly was Cheater recorded? Was it intended for Bad,then moved to Dangerous?

2.) Do you think "Streetwalker","On The Line","Fall Again",and other various songs that were unreleased on albums would've been good singles to release had Michael done another album between 2001-2009,prior to his death?

3.) How would Michael's vision had been for songs such as "Beautiful Girl","Scared Of The Moon","The Way You Love Me",etc. had they been completed between 2001-2009?

4.) Do you feel another Michael album would've been released between 2001-2009 had he made and distributed his own record company?

5.) Did Michael not touring for Invincible hurt its chances of making the album far more successful than it was?

6.) Why haven't montages been made with unseen footage ("One More Chance" doesn't count) with behind-the-scenes or music video outtake footage? That would be a good alternative to new Michael footage between 1965-2009 for "new" Michael music.

7.) Had "Xscape" made it onto Invincible as a track,do you feel that it would've made the album flow better or make it worse?

:lol: Cutesy thread ...I'm dumb because I cant answer any of those

I have questions though ..I have two

Why did "Xscape" not go on Invincible then ? and ...

Is this Sexy ?

full_wenn2137312.jpg
:p

7.) Had "Xscape" made it onto Invincible as a track,do you feel that it would've made the album flow better or make it worse?

No. The song was way too similar to Unbreakable, Threatened, and Privacy in terms of content. They were all big up-tempo I AM MJ HEAR ME ROAR type anthems. It would have just been redundant.
He probably needed to make decisions on what to keep, and Xscape didn't make the cut.

5.) Did Michael not touring for Invincible hurt its chances of making the album far more successful than it was?

Absolutely. The album flopped, but he most definitely could have recouped any lost funds by touring.
Especially if he finally returned with a north american leg of said tour.
It could also have maybe prolonged the era with more singles and such. Even if it was considerably shorter than his previous tours.

While I totally agree that the album was underpromoted, I never for a second bought into his whole tirade against Tommy Motolla and Sony. I'll always support MJ, but this is one of this instances where I was like "seriously?".
Especially after hearing Tommys side of the story recently, it made even more sense.

Okay here we go, this is my opinion and things I know to answer the questions.
1. Cheater was recorded 1986, considered for the BAD album, briefly for HIStory, new version recorded for Invincible and then he tweaked with it in 2008 and 2009.
2. Yeah I do, although not Fall Again, in it's current state it's not complete enough to be a single, if MJ had have recorded more vocals maybe, as for the others if Michael had tweaked with them yeah, if not the strongest ones I think are, Streetwalker, Fly Away , On The Line, We’ve Had Enough.
3. To my knowledge for his latest album 2006-09 he wanted a new Off The Wall sounding album. So more musical, also to have a great melody to each song and to be innovative always.
4. Yeah he would have I think, but it would have taken a very long time, he took ages to release a album with a record label pushing him, imagine him effectively being his own boss haha.
5. Defiantly ! I think had he not have had trouble with Sony, he would have toured and released loads of singles while touring (so long as he performed a few of the songs from the album), I think it would have sold more, but with very little promotion for an MJ album it sold quite well (15 million)
6.I think it was both Michael and Sony's doing, Michael because as we all know he was a perfectionist, if it wasn't perfect in Michael's eyes we never seen it, that's why we never seen him work (in the studio, rehearsals) because in his eyes it would spoil the magic. Sony because they wanted a single ASAP, so they threw together footage they had close at hand, that why One More Chance doesn't relate to the song, whereas WBBS 2008 is a lot better, there was more planning and as well Michael was more on board.
7. I'm not sure about flow better, it might have done, but I feel it just would have gone in place of Privacy or 2000 Watts, although I do love the song and I'm glad it's finally getting released.
I hope that helps sorry it's long.

and ...

Is this Sexy ?

full_wenn2137312.jpg
:p

You have to ask? lol Of course it is! ;) Big, beautiful, kissable lips... :wub: But if I can say, the facial hair just doesn't work for him. It doesn't make him any less attractive, he's just not one of those people who can successfully wear it.

1.) What year exactly was Cheater recorded? Was it intended for Bad,then moved to Dangerous?

Cheater was written and recorded in 1987 with Greg Phillinganes, Bill Bottrell and Matt Forger at Hayvenhurst. It wasn't considered for the final Bad line up for one reason or another, and to my knowledge was not worked on for Dangerous or HIStory. It reemerged in 2000 with Rodney Jerkins (this new version features a rap verse from Fats) and was again donated to Neff-U around mid/late 2008.

2.) Do you think "Streetwalker","On The Line","Fall Again",and other various songs that were unreleased on albums would've been good singles to release had Michael done another album between 2001-2009,prior to his death?

Michael didn't have Streetwalker or On the Line on his radar at the time of his death; he was satisfied with their released mixes. (He only would resume work on a released song if he felt the released mix didn't properly meet its potential.) Michael also was not considering Fall Again, though this was for other reasons. (Contrary to popular belief, he didn't abandon that song because his son was ill.) I do find the latter track to be among the most impressive Michael's ever done, though. It's a bit tragic that he never finished it.

3.) How would Michael's vision had been for songs such as "Beautiful Girl","Scared Of The Moon","The Way You Love Me",etc. had they been completed between 2001-2009?

Michael last properly worked on Beautiful Girl in 2006. He would bring it up in following studio sessions but didn't make any notable changes/add new vocals. Similar situation with Scared of the Moon, though I don't know when that was last worked on.

Neff-U was working on a new mix of The Way You Love Me just days before Michael died.

4.) Do you feel another Michael album would've been released between 2001-2009 had he made and distributed his own record company?

Michael's attitude towards Sony (and vice versa) in 2009 was softer than it had been in 2002, mainly due to the resignation of Tommy Mottolla. He may have at the very least attempted to return to the label when his album was finished, though it's anyone's guess as to whether or not they would have taken him back.

No; a worldwide tour for an album isn't vital for its success. What is vital is having enough strong material and having the right promotional tactics. Unfortunately, Invincible had neither.

6.) Why haven't montages been made with unseen footage ("One More Chance" doesn't count) with behind-the-scenes or music video outtake footage? That would be a good alternative to new Michael footage between 1965-2009 for "new" Michael music.

That one's anybody's guess. The estate did make an attempt once, for the proper music video of This Is It, which showed behind the scenes rehearsal footage of the 2009 ill-fated tour.

Invincible would have had one stronger track if Xscape was included, but on the whole, it was a very weak album. The entire album would have benefited from a secondary track listing, as there were dozens of potential inclusions that were excluded for one reason or another. Most of the Jerkins collaborations could be swapped, You Are My Life is forgettable, Cry pales in comparison to What More Can I Give, 2000 Watts is energetic but does not sound like a Michael Jackson song, and Heaven Can Wait is a little too boy band-ish for Michael. (Note: I do enjoy all of these songs, but I won't turn the other cheek by denying that there were better options available.)

Why did "Xscape" not go on Invincible then ? and ...

Michael wasn't yet happy with it and wanted to continue working on it.

i don't get why we won't get the unreleased Rodney tracks this year. they are actually finished?

@Always There,
I thought most if not all songs that did and didn't feature on the BAD album where from 1986. As the album was finished at the latest March besides very slight mixing altercations. BAD the song was done at least by November 1986, as they shot some scenes for the short film on 26 November 1986, MJ rehearsed Smooth Criminal with Vincent Paterson in 1986, (his documentary). Plus most of the demos where done at Havenhurst before Quincy came on board in 1986.

Absolutely. The album flopped, but he most definitely could have recouped any lost funds by touring.
Especially if he finally returned with a north american leg of said tour.
It could also have maybe prolonged the era with more singles and such. Even if it was considerably shorter than his previous tours.

While I totally agree that the album was underpromoted, I never for a second bought into his whole tirade against Tommy Motolla and Sony. I'll always support MJ, but this is one of this instances where I was like "seriously?".
Especially after hearing Tommys side of the story recently, it made even more sense.

What was the Tommy's side of the story? Can you tell me? Sorry, I don't know about that.

logg;3985600 said:
What was the Tommy's side of the story? Can you tell me? Sorry, I don't know about that.

How much truth there is to this, I have no idea. On the one hand, he does have a point, and it makes sense. But... is this really what happened? Or is this simply Tommy's sugar-coated side of the story? We'll probably never know. Anyway, this is a quote from Tommy himself, published in Esquire Magazine, January 29, 2013:

"Michael Jackson was the most brilliant artist of our time. He went through tons of abuse in early childhood that scarred him for life, monumentally overwhelming success, public scrutiny, and various surgeries. That can take over someone’s psyche and isolate him. On top of that, he had an army of yes men who were there to grant his every request. Yes, Michael, yes, Michael, yes, Michael, yes. There was absolutely no one who stood up and told Michael Jackson reality. When sales of Invincible completely stalled, I was the one who had to deliver reality. I was the one who had to say, “No, Michael, we cannot and will not put millions more into the promotion of this album.” When somebody who’s accustomed to hearing only yes suddenly hears no, it’s only natural for him lash out."

i don't get why we won't get the unreleased Rodney tracks this year. they are actually finished?

There are seven completed songs produced by Rodney still in the vaults.

@Always There,
I thought most if not all songs that did and didn't feature on the BAD album where from 1986. As the album was finished at the latest March besides very slight mixing altercations. BAD the song was done at least by November 1986, as they shot some scenes for the short film on 26 November 1986, MJ rehearsed Smooth Criminal with Vincent Paterson in 1986, (his documentary). Plus most of the demos where done at Havenhurst before Quincy came on board in 1986.

Michael began primary recording and demoing for Bad at Hayvenhurst in 1986, but he did a fair number of demos beforehand. Al Capone, for instance, was recorded in 1985, and rumor has it that I'm So Blue was done around the same time.

As Spyce posted, Tommy pretty much said that he wasn't one of Michael's many yes men who blindly allowed him to do whatever he wanted. There was even an instance in the spring of 2001 where he scolded Michael and the personnel: "Finish this damn album already!"

And he had every right to want the album to finally be done with. It's his job.

And what Tommy says makes total sense. I feel Michael wanted a huge blowout of promo and such as if it were still the height of his fame, and they just weren't going to do it. (Remember how Butterflies was actually a hit song, but had no video? I kept waiting and waiting for one!)

Like I said, I still feel the album was WAY under promoted, but you can certainly see why they weren't going to dump a boat load into the project.

Back