Rate the Estate - How have they done so far?

How do you rate the estate?

• Total voters

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
HIStory Continues, I think it would be interesting to see how people at MJJC comment on how the estate have handled Michael's posthumous releases. It's simple: a rating system between 1 (The estate is doing a terrible job) and 5 (The estate is doing a wonderful job) based on how you feel about the releases thus far.

Here is a brief reminder of the officially sanctioned releases since Michael's death:

Projects produced under the 2010 Sony contract
* Michael Jackson's This Is It: The Music That Inspired the Movie soundtrack
* Vision DVD set
* Michael posthumous studio album
* Immortal remix album/soundtrack
* Bad 25 DVD & CD package/documentary

Projects produced through outside partnerships
* Michael Jackson's This Is It concert documentary (with Columbia Pictures)
* Michael Jackson: The Experience video game (with Ubisoft)
* Michael Jackson: Immortal/One Cirque du Soleil tribute shows

Overall, I have to say that the estate isn't doing the absolute worst possible job they could ever do. I've thoroughly enjoyed everything except for Michael (for obvious reasons) and Immortal (kind of unnecessary). People really seem to be nitpicking with some of the releases, especially the quality issues on Vision and the Wembley concert for Bad 25. I really can't blame the estate for the latter - the Wembley film reels have yet to be located and that's not their fault. Record keeping was extremely sporadic when Michael was alive and some people have even stonewalled the estate until Branca and McClain step down. Given their resources, I feel that most of the releases were put together well and delicately.

However, the executors are extremely unorganized and don't seem to have a true interest in running the business. Let's take the "Raisin Attitude" footage shown in Spike Lee's Bad 25 documentary as an example. The estate didn't even know that clip existed before one of the founders of MaxJax leaked a watermarked version to YouTube in November 2010. Spike Lee didn't approach him or the collector he got it from for the documentary, nor did the estate. He used the LQ YouTube rip and cropped off the watermark (more of Michael's pants are visible in the original clip). The executors aren't doing much to help the sporadic record keeping, as it's general knowledge that it took them three years to begin archiving Bad-era material, which led to the chance discovery of Song Groove/Abortion Papers, which was long forgotten by those who had worked on it back in the late '80s. Who knows what could have happened? Fire, flood, earthquake, even a simple burglary and these tapes could have been gone forever. Not to mention the Michael issue - nearly everyone agreed the songs weren't Michael, but they were still included on the album, partially because the estate didn't have the time to cut the tracks out and go through the decision process to find three others. If they want the next five releases to get fan approval, they need to step it up and start putting more effort into how they run things.

Overall, I would give them a 3.5/5, which I'll round up to 4, but I'm being pretty generous. Opinions/thoughts?

I think they are doing a good job but of course they could do better. Bad 25 was great and I'm thankful that they released Wembley dvd. If they release Bad Tour concerts from the films on blu-ray/dvd then they would be doing a perfect job. :) Please Estate!

Last edited:
Yes I agree with what you said and pretty much that's around the rating I was thinking of. They're not doing an awful job but I don't wanna keep my hopes up too high just yet. For years to come, I want them to be more dedicated on finding new unreleased material and this time not just music but possibly even truly unseen pictures (like some included on Bad 25) & videos also. Don't get me wrong I've loved most of what has been released, especially the Bad period we had was especially awesome for me, being a true bad era lover, so it was like Christmas. But they certainly need to keep researching and try to give us nothing but genuine material (unlike the Michael album) after all, we're paying for it so we deserve the best quality and more than anything we deserve honesty and respect, from them. That's what Michael would want, the fact that we support our idol doesn't mean they're allowed to make fools out of us and feed us anything that has the MJ label on it. Anyway, I've allowed myself to rant but then again, that's how I feel. I can only hope that for as long as I'm alive, the Estate gives us nothing but good releases and more fond memories to keep MJ's legacy and memory alive, hopefully as the years go by they won't lose interest or forget about us loyal fans.

I think I agree with your rating as well. The 'Michael' album obviously being a terrible move. But I really like the immortal sound track, a live album would Maybe have been better? I would love to see the show released on DVD some time but that doesn't look likely. And the bad 25 set was great too. I'm interested to see what they'll be releasing next.

I'm sure the estate is doing a good job and stuff. And I will get what ever it is they come out with. But with my depression still being what it is over him. Watching or listening to whatever dvd or cd that may come out of him. I have really lost interest in. Both my Michael cd and my Immortal cd are both still wrapped in the plastic wrap that they came in. Because of what had happen to Michael. I just plainly can't really handle listen to any album that came out. Without him here to ok the release of that album. I would mostly rather listen to the albums that came out while we still had him.:( :boohoo

Well, I chose the 4th option :cheeky: Yes, indeed they are doing a good job and there is always room for improvement and feedback :D

I loved all the projects they've done so far keeps you from 'missing' Michael too badly if you can hear demo's and watch stuff :blush:

My fave albums I play every morning are BAD25 and Michael :blush:

I only have some 'personal' feedback like I wish they would have used the footage with Tatiana in TWYMMF :D

I just want MORE MORE MORE :woohoo:

MORE Demo's... MORE footage... MORE Michael Magic :blush:

If I take a step back and evaluate the Estate's performance, their biggest job to me was to deliver the first new album of new material. That's the watershed moment.

Because of reasons we cannot speak about here, they failed beyond my worst nightmares. And therefore I have to give them the worst possible rating.

i think the Estate has done an average job. The things they have put out has been fine, and i've enjoyed them all :) But of course there's always room for improvement.
My biggest issue with the Estate is, that they can't seem to decide if they want to target the fans/hardcore fans, or target the general public? A good example of that is those 3 remixes on bad25, which by no means were added for the fans. I think the vast majority of fans would've rather seen those 3 songs replaced by 3 bad era MJ demos? But did those remixes target the general public? And did they succeed? I think they were added in the hope of attracting new fans, which is a fine goal :) - but did it work?

I put 2, for the lack of presenting Michael's legacy to its highest possible peak. with the 'MIchael' album it was self destructive, causing outrage across fans for releasing fake music on the first CD release. This is it was a beautiful tribute, but they didn't need to mix different days together, especially when they have full June 23rd & 23th rehearsals in HD, many of which weren't showcased to dedicated fans. special features promised so much but offered a complete lack of truth from its trailer "More Michael" it was mostly interviews with the crew and fragments of 2 second pieces of Slight Michael footage. Soundtrack CD should've been a live CD, not a greatest hits. with This is it Demo & Orchestra and other Demo's on a second disc or something that relates to that era. first impressions of Vision when I read the release information I was beyond excited to see each of Michael's short films in one place for the first time and it is nice to have that, but they withhold film negatives for most short films included. One More Chance was a treat. Immortal Cd was 'okay' which. is the word that describes it for me right now. I'll be There Accappella is the only worthy song on there IMO. Now we get to BAD25. as most fans on the announcement date I was beyond ready to read "BAD Tour Blu-Ray" to be included, read down the list an saw. "Uncovered VHS". my doubts built strongly. then I read "Multitrack audio Recording." expecting an harmonic and melodic range of perfect instrumentations mixed with Michael's soothing and divine vocals from that days, as we heard from Go Flying's original mixes for the show. and then I read, Michael's Live Microphone was recorded and Michael sang full out live,and they were Seperate from any vocals that Michael used to mime, yet they didn't use this. got the DVD, played it through my Blu-Ray to upscale it slightly and. instantly I was crazy watching the show, Michael was electric and it is truly his most perfected show ever to be performed in the HIStory of touring. but a few weeks ago reading Go Flying say the original film negatives were Catalogued and identified Magically a couple of weeks after the Wembley DVD was released, it leaves you feeling cheated. the audio is highly compressed from the authentic previews Birchey shared with us. I feel cheated for the fact. nothing is being cared for respectfully and if thing's keep being like this, nothing else that's released in the future will sell. Michael deserves the best, but his legacy is being destroyed slowly. all my opinion and the logic truth, say what you will but this is how I feel.

If I take a step back and evaluate the Estate's performance, their biggest job to me was to deliver the first new album of new material. That's the watershed moment.

Because of reasons we cannot speak about here, they failed beyond my worst nightmares. And therefore I have to give them the worst possible rating.

And as if this wasn't enough, they ignored (not only Michael's, but) all quality standards by releasing a bad tour dvd out of a bad vhs copy. I still can't believe it! :doh:
And they are supposed to be the ones to protect Michael's legacy? Of course, they tried to sell it to us as if it was a great thing to get this "personal copy of Michael's private collection" and as if we should be grateful to get anything at all. But seriously, this is just unacceptable (yes, maybe not as unacceptable as the other reasons which we cannot discuss here ;), but still unacceptable )

What's next? As bad as it was until now, I'm afraid it can get even worse...

Last edited:
I chose option 2 "The estate is doing a good job, but could improve"

Although the Estate got of to a slow rocky start, I think Estate has gotten better with each project and are really trying to uphold MJ's legacy. They have listened to and have addressed many of the fans concerns. But With the lack of major fan support for even the good projects such as BAD 25, which was Great IMO, It might be a long time before they release another Album. (I don't blame them) I can't wait for Spike Lee's BAd 25 Documentary to be released soon. And the Michael jackson ONE Show in Vegas. But I'm sure some will also find fault with that. Well at Least Estate has Immortal Tour and Michael Jackson ONE to help keep Michael's estate solvent. I might Add The BAD25 DVD was a #ONE Best seller and many fans raved about it so a few personal gripes doesn't make it a Bad thing. It was beautiful and great for MJ's Legacy IMO. and In the opinion of many others.

I don't think the Estate can no longer afford to market to just the nit picky MJ fans who have shown they can (Never) be pleased and probably don't buy the products anyway from what they have said. (not all fans are included in that category) So if you are not nit picky, don't take offense. IMO The target market for Michael should be what appeals to the whole world. Just as Michael himself said many times :lol: ( From the little lady who scrubs the floors in Harlem to ...)

I would have given them an excellent mark, if not for the Michael album fiasco. Unfortunately, that was a very big mishandling of the most important thing - Michael's artistic legacy. It was a disaster.

Other than that I couldn't wish for a better management for his affairs. Smart, wise, true to his vision and always classy. And I'm not only talking about releases. Releases are not even the major factor (although I always wait for and enjoy new stuff). But I think the representation of Michael's image and message is more important for his legacy. People need to be reminded that he was the greatest artist and the most wonderful human being, and the Estate is doing a great job at that. They respect him, they honor him, they defend him. They are superb at business and legal matters and they have turned around his empire. When giving an assessment to their work, it helps to try to imagine what would have been if Jacksons had been managing Michael's estate...

That said, there are areas where they could improve. I mentioned it and I'll say it again: their social networking activity is lame, unprofessional and a waste of opportunity - they should hire someone who is a pro in this business.

Last edited:
4 - The estate is doing a good job, but could improve

I think they're doing a great job as far as negotiating deals, but I think they should hire someone to help them with the marketing aspect and also the quality control.

I put 2, for the lack of presenting Michael's legacy to its highest possible peak. with the 'MIchael' album it was self destructive, causing outrage across fans for releasing fake music on the first CD release. This is it was a beautiful tribute, but they didn't need to mix different days together, especially when they have full June 23rd & 23th rehearsals in HD,

They never did a full run through. They only did a few songs on both nights. That's one of the things to come from the AEG trial.

I put 2, for the lack of presenting Michael's legacy to its highest possible peak. with the 'MIchael' album it was self destructive, causing outrage across fans for releasing fake music on the first CD release. This is it was a beautiful tribute, but they didn't need to mix different days together, especially when they have full June 23rd & 23th rehearsals in HD, many of which weren't showcased to dedicated fans. special features promised so much but offered a complete lack of truth from its trailer "More Michael" it was mostly interviews with the crew and fragments of 2 second pieces of Slight Michael footage. Soundtrack CD should've been a live CD, not a greatest hits. with This is it Demo & Orchestra and other Demo's on a second disc or something that relates to that era.

As Stella said, they never did a full run through of the show. It was necessary to mix the two nights together. I agree with you on the special features, but a live album would have been disastrous. Sure, Michael sounded good for his age, but critics would have torn it apart because (1) it's has quite a bit of lip-synched vocals and (2) the vocals that are there are rough and, for the most part, incomplete (Billie Jean is a good example). We got two different versions of This Is It, three incredible demos and a beautiful spoken word poem as our very first posthumous release. It was pretty damn good, I think.

first impressions of Vision when I read the release information I was beyond excited to see each of Michael's short films in one place for the first time and it is nice to have that, but they withhold film negatives for most short films included. One More Chance was a treat.

I'll give you this one; they should have done something with the film negatives. But still, that wasn't a big enough issue for me not to enjoy it at all.

Now we get to BAD25. as most fans on the announcement date I was beyond ready to read "BAD Tour Blu-Ray" to be included, read down the list an saw. "Uncovered VHS". my doubts built strongly. then I read "Multitrack audio Recording." expecting an harmonic and melodic range of perfect instrumentations mixed with Michael's soothing and divine vocals from that days, as we heard from Go Flying's original mixes for the show. and then I read, Michael's Live Microphone was recorded and Michael sang full out live,and they were Seperate from any vocals that Michael used to mime, yet they didn't use this. got the DVD, played it through my Blu-Ray to upscale it slightly and. instantly I was crazy watching the show, Michael was electric and it is truly his most perfected show ever to be performed in the HIStory of touring. but a few weeks ago reading Go Flying say the original film negatives were Catalogued and identified Magically a couple of weeks after the Wembley DVD was released, it leaves you feeling cheated. the audio is highly compressed from the authentic previews Birchey shared with us. I feel cheated for the fact.

For one thing, I don't remember any article saying that Michael sang full out through the entire show. The mimed vocals featured on the DVD were mimed the night of the concert. Fan filmed footage proves this - just take a look on YouTube. Additionally, I never heard anything about the Wembley masters being located. That could be a bunch of bull as far as we know. But even so, the estate did their best. They knew the fans wanted the Wembley show and could only find the VHS copy. So they had two options: (1) remaster the VHS copy and release it as is with high quality audio, or (2) release a different show, assuming a high quality show with usable audio exists, disappoint the fans who petitioned for the Bad Tour campaign some years ago, and face even more criticism for not doing what fans wanted. The choice is obvious here, and I'm glad they made it.

For the 25 people that voted for 4, you all took the words out of my mouth. They are doing a good job and I'm not complaining! Seeing them improve would be nice, too.

As Stella said, they never did a full run through of the show. It was necessary to mix the two nights together. I agree with you on the special features, but a live album would have been disastrous. Sure, Michael sounded good for his age, but critics would have torn it apart because (1) it's has quite a bit of lip-synched vocals and (2) the vocals that are there are rough and, for the most part, incomplete (Billie Jean is a good example). We got two different versions of This Is It, three incredible demos and a beautiful spoken word poem as our very first posthumous release.

The Billie Jean vocals are dubbed in from the original demo. Same with Earth Song. They aren't vocals from the actual rehearsals.

The Billie Jean vocals are dubbed in from the original demo. Same with Earth Song. They aren't vocals from the actual rehearsals.

Many songs are dubbed for the movie. I think the reason why that was done was that Michael didn't sing full out at the rehearsals most of the time. I'm sure Michael sang like he did in Dangerous Tour rehearsals. Sometimes full out but and many times like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWj5HATF5U

I understand why they dubbed some songs because it was released in cinemas but I would have liked to hear Michael's true vocals.

Back