R. Kelly talks about MJ

trueiopian

Proud Member
R. Kelly concludes his recent Ladies Make Some Noise Tour this weekend and said the trek has been a blessing.

"It was a thrill. I hadn't been on the road in, like, two or three years, expressing myself live," he told MTV News recently. Kelly also said the most exciting part of the tour is hearing the screams, seeing his fans and feeling the unity.

One of the highlights of the concert is Kelly's tribute to the late Michael Jackson.

"Michael Jackson being gone is like our breath, our musical breath, being taken away," Kelly says in his videotaped message. "But I'm not gonna let him die."

Then home-movie footage of Jackson and director Brett Ratner dancing in a vehicle to the sounds of Kells' "Ignition" appears on the screen. R. told us that the King of Pop wanted a song like it of his very own.

"Michael told me one day, he said, 'I wanna know if you can write a song like "Ignition" for me — I love that song,' " Kelly explained. "I was like, 'Mike, man, "Ignition" is not a "Thriller," but much like "Thriller," those type of songs will probably never happen [again]. It'll never happen again. I'm sorry.' "

But Kelly was extremely humbled when he saw Jackson dancing to "Ignition" and felt compelled to put the footage in his show.

"I cried the first time I saw him on YouTube, and I couldn't believe he was in the backseat of the car. He was jamming [to my song]," he said. "You can tell he was into it. He was feeling it. It was like, 'Wow, he's doing my music. He's singing to my music.' It was unbelievable. I knew I made it when I saw that. You can sing songs forever. I've written a lot of songs, and they went around the world. I've won all types of awards, but let me tell y'all something — nothing, nothing told me, I didn't know I made it until I saw Michael Jackson in the back of that car performing and dancing to my song 'Ignition.' That's when it became official. I've been in the game 20 years, but that's when it became official to me that Kells is here, baby, for real."

The video homage to Jackson segues into a montage of Michael's performances and videos. Kelly sings, "Don't say goodbye to me/ There is no need to/ Don't say goodbye to me, because I'm still with you/ Don't say goodbye to me, don't shed a tear/ Because I'm still here/ Go light a candle and say a prayer/ Scream out victory, 'cause love is still there."

"I do dedicate a segment of the show to Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson is one of the biggest reasons R. Kelly is in the game right now. It's amazing," he explained.

Kelly sped up his wardrobe change so that he could watch the video every night from backstage.

"It made me feel like he was still alive," Kelly smiled. "It made me feel like I still have the chance to go to the level that Michael took it to. It brings me back to what real music is and how it touches and pierces the soul. That's what my mission is."

R. Kelly's Untitled is in stores now.

Video inside- http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1627397/20091202/kelly_r.jhtml

That was a nice article. I love Kellz's tribute to Michael. Very touching.

I would have thought R. kelly would have thought he made it big when MJ chose his song "You are not alone" to sing and include in his album and took it to number one! Not MJ dancing to his song in a car....that's cool it's the simplest things that count the most! :)

I was gettin choked up and tears just came out.....Robert's words are really moving. He is not one of those fake celebs who say nice things just to look and sound nice. You can believe what he says here is right from the bottom of his heart.
"Michael told me one day, he said, 'I wanna know if you can write a song like "Ignition" for me — I love that song,' " Kelly explained. "I was like, 'Mike, man, "Ignition" is not a "Thriller," but much like "Thriller," those type of songs will probably never happen [again]. It'll never happen again. I'm sorry.' "
If they had done that type of song, Michael woulda written some nice lyrics with all the sexual innuendos and metaphors:D I wish Kellz woulda done that type of song for him.
Kelly sped up his wardrobe change so that he could watch the video every night from backstage.
This says it all. Kellz got real love for Michael. I'm sure he's watched the footage at least 50 times so far. It must have been such a magical moment for him, like one of those spiritual moments in your life. He never imagined he would make it like this, he would work with Michael when he was a kid living in an impoverished area.

Aww that was nice of him. Music will never be the same again:no:

The video homage to Jackson segues into a montage of Michael's performances and videos. Kelly sings, "Don't say goodbye to me/ There is no need to/ Don't say goodbye to me, because I'm still with you/ Don't say goodbye to me, don't shed a tear/ Because I'm still here/ Go light a candle and say a prayer/ Scream out victory, 'cause love is still there."

:cry::cry:

That's cool
I'm surprised thathe didn't mention that he wrote one of the songs MICHAEL SANG!!

Have always been a fan since I heard "She's Got That Vibe," I was so happy when I 1st discovered MJ was a fan of R. too.

Good to know R Kelly realized that Ignition is no Thriller. Nice words

Plagiarized??

The lyrical content and arrangements is all R. Kelly. The only similarity is the melody. The court ruled that the similarity between the two songs is 43.46% and held that this degree of similarity could be more of a coincidence.

when Michael died the BBC was interviewing him via the phone.. he got so emotional and mad at the interviewer...he hung up on them

when Michael died the BBC was interviewing him via the phone.. he got so emotional and mad at the interviewer...he hung up on them

Yea, I heard that interview. He seems to be the only musical partner/friend that hasn't gone on interviews and discussed MJ. I respect him for that.

Back