R.I.P. Dr. Kevorkian

Severus Snape

Proud Member
Yesterday, a hero for the cause of assisted medical suicide left this world. That person was the highly controversial Dr. Jack Kevorkian, whose only aim in life was to help those who were in pain find some rest for once. You will recall that his medical license was taken away by a corrupt system--as they called assisted suicide murder, but apparently, it's perfectly merciful to let someone who is agonizing every minute of their life drag the entire affair on and on indefinitely despite their own wishes, because that person's friends and family are all too selfish to let go.

In any case, full Yahoo article here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110603/ap_on_re_us/us_obit_kevorkian

Dr. Kevorkian is one of the few people I consider my idols. Aside from being brilliant (since childhood, really), he was also an artist and a jazz composer, which not many people know. We seldom see brilliant and talented men like this walk on this Earth, it's a pity that when they come, they're often misunderstood and made "controversial" by a closed-minded society.

Anyway, here is a site which has some of his artwork. I especially like "very still life.":

http://www.arianagallery.com/kevorkian.php

very%20still%20life.jpg

Dr. Jack Kevorkian - "Very Still Life

"The message here, though somewhat capricious, nebulous, and indefinable, is clearly underscored by intense feeling and brilliant colors. These highlight the melancholy age-old balance between the warmth of life and the iciness of death, spiced with the sardonic humor of irony.

The disquieting mood portends inescapable doom for the frail symbol of individual life and through seemingly callous extinction of its evanescent aura. The age-old balance is certainly skewed."

Here is some of the music he composed, he even released albums. His music of choice was jazz--it's very beautiful, really.

Wow, what a life! To think my heroes keep dropping like flies! I don't know how to feel. I'm terribly sad, I greatly admired him, both as an artist and as a crusader for a greater cause--one I believe in with all my heart, if ever I believed in something, assisted suicide would be it. I'll probably cry later on in the day, if not tomorrow.

God, the one day I don't log on to my computer, is the day something this terrible and devastating happens! I know he was sick for a while now, and he was quite old, but I wasn't ready for him to just go like that. Where are the idols? We only have Tom Lehrer now, and he's nearing death too. Why do all the good people have to die? Who else are they going to take from me?

Anyway, I'm going to go light a candle in his honour and wait for the weight of the tragedy to finally hit home like it always does.

1194315727_f.jpg

So, R.I.P. Dr. Kevorkian. Try as they may, they couldn't tear you down. I'll look to your life and legacy as an inspiration and a model to follow.

I can't believe it. I'm completely speechless.

Last edited:
I didn't know he was a musician or anything, of course I heard about the assisted suicides, and I tell him, THANK YOU.
We never chose to be born, and I think we should at least choose when we leave. I thank this man for allowing some people to be able to do it, and »I thank him for making the world finally discuss and really think about this possibility.

R.I.P. Doc!

Jack Kevorkian: I Would Rather Have Not Been Born
Jack Kevorkian died listening to his favorite music and surrounded by friends.
We're told he went peacefully, quietly and without pain. When Kevorkian was
released from prison, he kept a much lower profile, but that didn't make his life
any less interesting. FOX 2's Charlie LeDuff spent some time with him over the
past few years. Kevorkian told him about his life's regrets.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...would-rather-have-not-been-born-20110603-wpms

Former FOX 2 reporter Brad Edwards sat down with Jack Kevorkian back in April
of last year to talk about his life and the motion picture based on his life.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/one-on-one-with-jack-kevorkian-20110603-mr

Geoffrey Fieger Remembers Jack Kevorkian
Attorney Geoffrey Fieger represented Dr. Jack Kevorkian in the first of several
doctor-assisted suicide trials. "Jack was more than my client, he was my friend and
I loved him" says Fieger. Fieger called a press conference at his Southfield, Michigan
office to read a statement about his likely most famous client. Kevorkian was acquitted
in all trials where Fieger represented him. He was later convicted when he represented
himself in his last assisted suicide trial in 1999.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/geoffrey-fieger-remembers-jack-kevorkian_20110603_dk

Last edited:
^ Thank you! Fascinating reads indeed. Dr. Kevorkian was very misunderstood, but among the best of men in recent times. I believe time will tell the truth, and history will remember him as an advocate and martyr for a great cause. RIP.

I think he provided a good service for desperately ill people. I didn't know he was an artist/composer. Interesting.

However, I think he was wrong for defending Conrad Murray.

Dr K is/was my hero too. Another visionary brought down by simpletons. God Bless him.

suzynyc;3401517 said:
I think he provided a good service for desperately ill people. I didn't know he was an artist/composer. Interesting.

However, I think he was wrong for defending Conrad Murray.

Yeah, but that one lapse of judgement should not tarnish his legacy or his importance in our eyes. I say you can't even begin to compare him to that good for nothing quack Murray (as some have done)--Dr. Kevorkian believed in a cause and gave his life and career for it. Murray, on the other hand, was a greedy scumbag whose only interest was poisoning his clients for money--the guy didn't even know how to administer CPR for Chirst's sake!

Just for the record, this is what he said:

"I don't think he was malicious," said the doc. "Murder is defined by forethought …Did the doctor have forethought? I doubt it. (I agree, I highly doubt it was pre-meditated too, Murray seems too stupid to be capable of pre-meditated murder). The patient got what he wanted. He is the one who said yes or no to take a drug." (Disagree--Michael didn't want the drug, he wanted to sleep. Murray, being the doctor, chose the means by which that goal would be achieved, ergo, he is to blame for the patient's death, especially considering the nature of the medication (propofol). One cannot self-administer propofol, it has to be done through IV, and Murray was the one who not only prescribed it, but also administered it, therefore, Murray is doubly responsible and doubly negligent).

In regards for what he said, he's technically right, in that it isn't murder as one would think of it--in other words, pre-meditated. However, it is by legal definition murder through negligence and malpractice, which makes it manslaughter. There is a need to distinguish between the two--because one is pre-meditated with prior intent to kill, and the other is negligent, or "careless" murder. What Murray did was careless murder--he would have no reason to personally want to kill Michael if we go by the information they have given us thus far--however, being a doctor, he bears the primary responsibility because he not only administered the lethal dose, but he failed to carry out the proper procedures to save his patient's life.

Kevorkian is wrong in saying Murray did no wrong by "giving the patient what he wanted." Doctors aren't there to give patients "what they want," they're there to give the patients what they need. Michael needed to sleep--Murray was irresponsible and negligent by thinking that Propofol was a suitable remedy for Michael's insomnia. That's really the only thing Kevorkian's ever said that I would have to contest, but he's not directly involved in the Michael Jackson case, so I am willing to overlook his ignorance regarding the matter.

Back