R&B / Hip-Hop Album of 2008

arXter

Proud Member
we're well into the last quarter of 2008 and we've already had some surprisingly good releases this year:

PRERELCDNAS.JPG
PRERELCDAD.JPG
88697169162.JPG
1791479.JPG
ATL368316-2.JPG
1761355.JPG
PRERELCDLIL.JPG
BRANDYHUMAN.JPG
SNY708585.2.JPG
7567899489.JPG
88697190802.JPG
88697307252.JPG
5186510332.JPG
JLEGENDEVOLVE.JPG
7567898198.JPG
88697409802.JPG
88697233882.JPG
1774529.JPG
1774984.JPG
KOCCD5030.JPG
XLLP313.JPG
PRERELCDNERD.JPG
JHUDSONPRE.JPG
PRERELCDSNO.JPG
PRERELCDPUSSY.JPG
PRERELCDMAC.JPG
B000987202.JPG
PRERELCDBLIGE.JPG
1768847.JPG
7567899542.JPG
2135002.JPG
PRERELCDQT.JPG
PRERELCDGB.JPG
1782778.JPG
1781270.JPG
1781756.JPG
MWILLIAMSPRE.JPG
1790382.JPG
88697327132.JPG
50CENTDESTRUCT.JPG
1761182.JPG
88697339882.JPG
PRETPAIN08.JPG
LUDACRISPRE.JPG

let's hear your picks..

I never listen to the radio, so I really don't know about newer acts or music. I did get the new album from Chante' Moore "Love The Woman". Also Swing Out Sister is kinda traditional jazzy R&B and I really like their album from this year "Beautiful Mess". I have Michelle Williams 1st two albums, didn't realize she had a new one. I have Janet's CD, it's ok. I got the one with the DVD inclosed in it. Right now, I'm just playing some old Michael Franks stuff.

Last edited:
Toss-Up between Raphael Saadiq and John Legend. I'm not sure which one I like more. I have to get Legend's some more time before I can decide.

I'll get Raphael's for Christmas, I'll get Al Green's too.

Of the albums I got (Mary J., Donna and Janet), they're toss-ups as albums of 2008 to me.

Ah man, forgot about Al Green's, and I've been playing that a while now. That's another fantastic album. It sounds like it was ripped right from the 70's.

Dwele -Sketches Of A Man
Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

from what i've listened to, need to give the mjb, john legend and lemar album a listen

BEYONCE - "I AM...SASHA FiERCE"

Also, of course "Tha Carter III" only because it was the most popular and sold the most

...And Ne-Yo "Year if the Gentleman" is pretty good and has done pretty well on the charts

Nas-Untitled...Um...cuz this is the only purchase I made out of all of 'em, except Mariah. I pretty like what he did with the concept. Her album is ok at best. Can't really make myself play that more than once in a month or two.

BEYONCE - "I AM...SASHA FiERCE"

Also, of course "Tha Carter III" only because it was the most popular and sold the most

...And Ne-Yo "Year if the Gentleman" is pretty good and has done pretty well on the charts

what a lame reason to like an album!

Discipline, The Renaissance(WOOT), Shine. I got em and they cool so far. Yo, what about Erykah Badu? Her new cd is on fiya!!!

I think its Between

Beyonce - I Am Sascha Fierce

Janet Jackson - Discipline

Ne-Yo - Year Of The Gentleman

Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination

Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak

but i cant decide they are all amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

of those i’ve got:
Al Green - Lay It Down
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One
John Legend - Evolver

Evolver is my least favourite but still ok.

611kJ7ohR5L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

thanks arX for this one, it’s indeed a great album, I like especially Paradise In U (my #1), Drops Of Rain, On & On, Everybody Here Wants You, Get What You Want, In Too Deep. i’ve been playing it a lot recently and i’m waiting for my own copy atm :D

now, forgive my musical polygamy but i can’t really pick just one album as each of them is in a totally different style..

however, it seems like my Top 3 would be:
Raphael Saadiq – The Way I See It
Jon B – Helpless Romantic
Al Green – Lay It Down

because, all tracks here are at least good and I can listen to the whole thing almost without skipping (exceptions: It’s U, Need It Badd, Calling and Oh Girl with Jay-Z)
i love some tracks from Erykah’s album too (Healer, Soldier, That Hump, Telephone).

I’m goin' to get also Robin Thicke’s and maybe MJB’s and Kanye West’s when I have time to listen lol.

Last edited:
what a lame reason to like an album!

No one said I liked it for that reaosn...most "Albums of the Year" are those that have sold the most and have been the most popular...im simply making a judgement based off analysis whereas i think Beyonces album is the album of the year because of its quality and originality....so hush my goodness

The only ones I've heard, and they're pretty da*n good! :)
Raphael Saadiq's new album is very similar to Thicke's one (but better). if you haven't checked it out, you'd love it i think.

of those i’ve got:
Al Green - Lay It Down
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One
John Legend - Evolver

Evolver is my least favourite but still ok.

611kJ7ohR5L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

thanks arX for this one, it’s indeed a great album, I like especially Paradise In U (my #1), Drops Of Rain, On & On, Everybody Here Wants You, Get What You Want, In Too Deep. i’ve been playing it a lot recently and i’m waiting for my own copy atm :D

now, forgive my musical polygamy but i can’t really pick just one album as each of them is in a totally different style..

however, it seems like my Top 3 would be:
Raphael Saadiq – The Way I See It
Jon B – Helpless Romantic
Al Green – Lay It Down
because, all tracks here are at least good and I can listen to the whole thing almost without skipping (exceptions: It’s U, Need It Badd, Calling and Oh Girl with Jay-Z)
i love some tracks from Erykah’s album too (Healer, Soldier, That Hump, Telephone).

I’m goin' to get also Robin Thicke’s and maybe MJB’s and Kanye West’s when I have time to listen lol.
spot on for me too. (and same for Jon's Paradise - just takes you somewhere else)

also Dwele's 'Sketches of a Man' is very good (not his best) but a definite stand out from the bunch.

I downloaded Janet, Danity Kane, John Legend, Ne-Yo, Mary J Blige, Robin Thicke, and Michelle Williams to my Zune this year. Out of those my top three are Ne-Yo, Robin Thicke, and Michelle Williams. Hard to choose just one lol.

BRANDYHUMAN.JPG

Can't wait to download this one though...I love Right Here (Departed) and Long Distance! :D

Mariah Carey-E=MC2: I mean not sum of her songs, just the biggest singles like "I Stay In Love" & "Bye, Bye" thats one of her biggest singles so far.

& also Solange's ablum that came out this years as well.

Apart from anything else stated, Wayne Brady's - A Long Time Coming is a very good album with covers here & there, but nonetheless, he's a talented guy with not enough exposure of his musical talents.
icon14.gif

i agree they were all good releases. altho some flopped lol. like lil mama and janet. but nontheless good releases they were

Raphael Saadiq's new album is very similar to Thicke's one (but better). if you haven't checked it out, you'd love it i think.

I'm not sure about that, I listend to Raphael's album at the music store and he seems to have that 60's motown sound while Thicke has a predominantly 70s feel. I only bought the latter album though, but they're both killa! I still need to get Erykah Badu's album.

Seen as though I dont see 808s & Heartbreak as a hip hop album, even though it is my favourite album up there. Quite a few in there are RnB anyways.

Anyways I think The Cool is the best hip hop album of 2008. Untitled isnt bad at all though. Hip Hop Saved my life and Streets on Fire and pretty mint.

Back