Quincy Jones on Michael Jackson - SXSW Music 2009

SIDEWALK

Proud Member
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9zGxvV3nAk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9zGxvV3nAk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Nothing to be afraid of, it's positive. He just talks about the work side of things.

I think Quincy is an egomaniac, its almost as Quincy did everything!!
His memory is truly selective, was Mike singing about rats on Triumph, destiny etc? some of his lyrics and meaning on those records were beyond anything he produced with Q.

What other producer stands up and takes all the plaudits for somebodys work but him? QJ is a technician whos done some very good things but he would not have got a hundredth of the attention he gets if he hadnt worked with MJ.

Furthermore I believe MJs best work technically was on Dangerous.

I think Quincy is an egomaniac, its almost as Quincy did everything!!
His memory is truly selective, was Mike singing about rats on Triumph, destiny etc? some of his lyrics and meaning on those records were beyond anything he produced with Q.

What other producer stands up and takes all the plaudits for somebodys work but him? QJ is a technician whos done some very good things but he would not have got a hundredth of the attention he gets if he hadnt worked with MJ.

Furthermore I believe MJs best work technically was on Dangerous.

Agreed!
I really have no respect left for Quincy Jones.
I did like hearing tiny little new facts I hadn't known before though.
I couldn't stand looking at Quincy though, dude makes me sick now.

so disappointed in Quincy. he's showed himself to be an ignoramus in many respects as far as I'm concerned.

Quincy can go to hell.
Michael started to write and compose songs since 1976 and the best tracks on his albums are his songs.
Quincy.. you did call the musicians and the sound engineer you didn't do the albums. When MJ left you you didn't come up with any good production anymore.
Go to hell.

Quincy is very talented and great in his own right, but I also dislike how he seems to always give all the credit to himself, music engineers and basically everyone but Michael for the success of those albums. He has a very big ego. Michael had a very healthy ego himself, but he never took credit for things that weren't his even when he had the chance. I remember reading somewhere that Michael made some notable changes to "Man In The Mirror", but refused to take any songwriting credits for the song eventhough Siedah had insisted.

Quincy on the other hand seems to have a huge ego and likes taking credit for MJ's success. The way I look at it is that yes Quincy had a lot to do with those albums success, but Michael could have still found great producers regardless. Without MJ however, we wouldn't have songs like "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", etc. Michael wrote most of his best and biggest songs on all his albums and it's a shame that so many people overlook this. Quincy certainly isn't helping acting like it's all about him as always. I respect Quincy as a producer and musician, but not beyond that.

did quincy make a statement that MJ didnt like to be afroamerican thats why he changed his color? and he begged michael not to do that ?

i was watchin some interview with quincy but it was translated (it wasnt in english) and i wonder why he could dare to say such a things about MJ...maybe interpreter made a mistake ... please can someone answer...

Quincy is a great producer, but I'm sorry to say that but the most part of the success was from Michael Jackson, and after from Rod Temperton, Temperton was imo the man behind the success of the production of Quincy Jones, it's Michael Jackson who have given his first big success "Off the wall", after Off the Wall, Quincy was "the hot producer" for Benson, Shaka Khan, James Ingram and Patti Austin (except her, because she has linked to him before that, but he was not the producer of her earlier album), I think that before Michael he have already worked for Brother Johnson but has I think a minor success.

The success for him have begun with Jackson and Temperton, before that he was just a jazz man and not really in the funk world, in fact Temperton have signed his major hit for him, "Give me the Night, "The secret Garden", "Baby come to me", "Ya mo be there", he have signed imo the best song of Quincy Jones, in the Dude he have done 4 music, The dude, Ramazattaz, Something special (this music is magic) and Turn on the action.

He is a great producer, but not really modest, he was in his life a modest composer unlike Michael Jackson and Temperton, in his own album like the Dude, Quincy don't have done his own music, near half of the songs are from Temperton, Quincy Jones could be humble because he don't have done to much in his own album (but in the same his role is the production, nothing less, nothing more).

But maybe it's simply because he begin to become too old, lot of peoples change with the time and he seem really more nervous, before that he seem more modest, I remember to have seen an interview during the 90's for the french TV, when the journalist have said that his stuff with Michael Jackson was way better that what Michael have done himself, he don't have said yes, he just have said that he don't know and if I remember correctly he have said that it was more about the tastes of peoples, and made good comments about Michael.

Peoples could talk about his major role during Michael Jackson career, but if you listen Triumph and Destiny, you can easily find the same elements and the same quality that during his solo career with Jones.

Last edited:
Back