Quincy Jones Explains Why Epic Didn't Want Him To Produce Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'

Agent M

Proud Member
Quincy Jones explains why Epic didn't want him to produce Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'

“If anyone tells you they know how to sell 60 million records, they don’t,” stated the legendary Quincy Jones during an engaging Q&A conducted by rapper Ludacris at the ASCAP Expo in Los Angeles, April 23.

And he should know. Jones, who is the mastermind producer/arranger/composer behind such projects as Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and “We are the World,” stressed to the audience of songwriters and producers that the only righteous artistic path is following your heart, not the money. “You do something that gives you goose bumps and you love. It works out or it doesn’t.”

Of course, it’s “worked out” a lot for Jones, who, at 77, is celebrating six decades of making music. Like John Mayer, who was interviewed at the Expo on Thursday, Jones stressed the importance of learning your craft to build upon your talent, not suppress it. “There are only 12 notes,” he said. “I spent 20 to 30 years learning to be a good musician.”

There is simply no substitute for knowledge—or what Jones referred to as “science.” When asked how he deals with pressure, he replied “Learn your science. Science is what provides the [ability] to express your emotion…Your chops get you out of pressure.”

Jones took his innate talent as a musician—he plays at least seven instruments—and then studied orchestration in Paris under the acclaimed Nadia Boulanger, who declared him “corrupted” from his jazz training with such artists like Ray Charles.

Jones’ career has been so vast and spans so many different areas, that he was only able to touch on a few areas. But here are some of the highlights:

**Scoring films is a discipline totally different from writing songs. “The sprockets don’t line. The image is not going to change because you want to add two bars,” he said. Music is the “emotion lotion” for the film, as he said Steven Spielberg calls it.

**His cure for writer’s block: Relax, put up your feet, keep what you’re working on nearby and “know it’s not about you, it’s about your higher power…Have humility in your creativity and grace in your success. Be humble enough to accept God’s whisper.”

**Knowledge extends far beyond traditional schooling. As a young man, Jones traveled the world with Lionel Hampton as his trumpet player and arranger. “When I traveled overseas, I learned eat what they eat, listen to the [local] music and learn 30-40 words in their language.”

**Epic Records did not want Jones to produce “Thriller.” He and Michael had worked together on the Broadway play “The Wiz.” “Back then, Michael was listening. I started watching him at rehearsals. He knew everyone’s moves,” said Jones. When it came time to go into the studio, Epic felt Jones was too “jazzy. They said ‘Get Gamble and Huff.” That’s when I learned the power of being underestimated,” Jones said with a laugh.

**His advice for aspiring singers (although it translates to any instrument) is “take your 10 favorite singers and put them on a disc and learn every note. Walk in the shoes of giants.”

**Use your pain to fuel your art. “I didn’t have a mother. At 7, my mother was taken away in a straight jacket. At 12, I thought, if I don’t have a mother, I don’t need one. My stepmother was a pain in the booty. Music is my mother.”

*8His favorite recording he ever worked on is “Somewhere” with Aretha Franklin from the early ‘70s. “I play it every day at my house,” he said, adding that he’d like to have it played at his funeral.

**During their early days as teens in the Northwest, he and Ray Charles would repeat every day--in part, to counteract the discrimination they faced—“Not one drop of my self-worth depends upon your acceptance of me.”

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12...-why-epic-didn-t-want-him-to-produce-thriller

Quincy is an idiot, and he always has been. He didn't want Billie Jean for Thriller.
It was the genius of Michael that made Thriller what it is. Quincy has gotten too much credit for nothing and Epic hesitating about hiring him confirms it.

I just dont care about Quincy or anything he says.anytime i hear his name,Am taken back to the interview he did with details magazine the week mj died and the horrible things he said about him,couldnt believe my eyes.If the world had not reacted to MJ's loss on an enormous scale,am sure he would have continued with his derogatory remarks.

Quincy is an idiot, and he always has been. He didn't want Billie Jean for Thriller.
It was the genius of Michael that made Thriller what it is. Quincy has gotten too much credit for nothing and Epic hesitating about hiring him confirms it.

yeah. these reporters are not admitting, nor is Quincy, that Michael begged to have him produce. obviously it was Michael who knew what sounded good. and Quincy and the record company, along with the engineer were ready for the album to be released, when Michael was not ready for it to be released. Michael had people with him, but Michael alone is the reason why Thriller did as well as it did. yes, MJ did know how to make an album sell in the many tens of millions. he predicted at least 20 mill. maybe more, cus his brother reported it, so i don't know what to think on that, but i know MJ knew what all the people wanted.. and it far exceeded that 20 plus million.

And he should know. Jones, who is the mastermind producer/arranger/composer behind such projects as Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and “We are the World,” stressed to the audience of songwriters and producers that the only righteous artistic path is following your heart, not the money. “You do something that gives you goose bumps and you love. It works out or it doesn’t.”

All I can say is that the "mastermind producer/arranger/composer" must have been asleep at the helm, when he decided to REMAKE We Are The World, because that joint was horrible. LOL!

I also find it mad funny that the "mastermind" always complains because nobody wants to talk about all of his OTHER work. Yet he is the one who always brings Michael Jackson's name into the conversation first.

Michael was always the mastermind behind his greatest projects. Listen to demo's of Billie Jean, DTSTYGE, Beat It etc he created them from nothing, Quincy simply polished it off a bit.

Quincy Jones was a major part of making Thriller the album it was, by bringing in songwriters like Rod Temperton, James Ingram and the guys from Toto who wrote Human Nature. But it was Michael who wrote, composed, arranged and co-produced the songs Wanna Be Startin Somethin', Beat It and Billie Jean that attracted people to buy the Thriller album.

Thriller was Michael's project, not Quincy Jones. It was Michael who had the final say of what songs should be on Thriller and what the album should sound like. The whole Thriller project was the vision of Michael Jackson NOT Quincy Jones. Quincy Jones was a collaborator of Michael's and hired by Michael, and after the recording of Bad it was Michael Jackson who choose not to use Quincy Jones as his producer and co-producer not the other way around.

It's also a fact that after working with Michael, Quincy Jones hasn't produced any major albums that were successful, whilst Michael continued to be a huge success by being the Executive Producer of his own albums. I don't mind people saying how important and influencial Quincy Jones was with Michael when they worked together. But I hate the fact some people talk about the Off The Wall and Thriller albums like Michael was just some hired vocalist were all the songs were already written by Quincy Jones which wasn't the case or reality, as Michael had been writing songs for Off The Wall and Thriller before he'd even started recording the albums. If it wasn't for Michael Jackson, most people wouldn't know who Quincy Jones was and he would never have been in a position to produce the song We Are The World etc if Michael had never asked Quincy Jones to produced the Off The Wall album.

All I can say is that the "mastermind producer/arranger/composer" must have been asleep at the helm, when he decided to REMAKE We Are The World, because that joint was horrible. LOL!.

I know! did it even make it 2 the top ten? lol

The only good parts in that song were mj & janet

Quincey isn't the be all and end of like some people claim him to be. Yes he is a phenomenal composer and producer but he didn't think Billie Jean was good enough for Thriller and after relenting he thought the opening bass line was too long. Mike had to argue with him relentlessly and eventually got his way. A producer is only good as long as his artist has talent. Quincey was working with Michael Jackson, a man who knew what he wanted. Thriller was Mike's vision, not Quincey's.

He didn't think Billie Jean was good enough for Thriller? That's one of my favorite songs and I still get goosebumps just listening to the beat of the song when it starts. That's the song that made me become a fan when I was just 6. I don't know what to think of Quincy. Michael always thanked him even after they didn't work together anymore for years but he comes across that Michael was just okay or something. His comments haven't been kind.

So what about talking WATW 25??????..........He fails to mention his EPIC FAIL!!!!!

words set aside, quincy is amazing at what he does really,

I love all his work and he'll always get props from me for DSTYGE, the track it is... timeless

So what about talking WATW 25??????..........He fails to mention his EPIC FAIL!!!!!

Yeah, I doubt that would have been done if Michael were here. Or at least it wouldn't have sucked so bad.

WHAT??? Quincy didn't want Billie Jean on there? Is there any logical reason for that?? Because I can't think of any.

But, him and Michael still made a great time. They made the biggest album in world history together. And I doubt it would have been the same if it was someone other than Quincy working with Michael at the time.

Last edited:
Wasn't it also Michael who had to plead with Quincey to completely redo the mixing of Thriller because to be frank, it sounded like shite?

Just sayin'.

**Epic Records did not want Jones to produce “Thriller.” He and Michael had worked together on the Broadway play “The Wiz.” “Back then, Michael was listening. I started watching him at rehearsals. He knew everyone’s moves,” said Jones. When it came time to go into the studio, Epic felt Jones was too “jazzy. They said ‘Get Gamble and Huff.” That’s when I learned the power of being underestimated,” Jones said with a laugh.

Uhm, what does he mean by that exactly?

Oh lord, here we go with the Quincy Jones bashfest.
Didn't see it coming.

You know what I heard this story a million times, and it really does annoy me when QJ talks like if he was the reason thriller was a success. (when he talks about ppl underestimating him it is so arrognant). When the truth is MJ only MJ was the reason THriller was a success. Teddy Riley could say the same but he does not. Dangerous could of be the same as Thriller to if it weren't 4 those allegations in '93.

I don't have a problem with what Quincy is telling in this article (he says nothing bad), but I have a problem with this sentence of the article's author: "And he should know. Jones, who is the mastermind producer/arranger/composer behind such projects as Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and “We are the World,”

Mastermind composer behind "Thriller" and WATW? I think the only song he ever co-wrote for Michael was P.Y.T. And Michael's strongest songs were usually written by Michael alone.

I'm a bit fed up with people thinking Quincy wrote Michael's stuff and statements like this give this - false - impression to those who are not familiar with the details of Michael's work.

Last edited:
WHAT??? Quincy didn't want Billie Jean on there? Is there any logical reason for that?? Because I can't think of any.

"The pop singer faced numerous disagreements with the song's producer. Quincy Jones did not want "Billie Jean" to appear on Thriller; he felt that the song was too weak to be part of the collection.[5][8] The producer disliked the demo and did not care for the song's bass line.[9] Jones wanted to cut Jackson's 29 second introduction, which was the longest one ever created at the time.[10][7] The entertainer, however, insisted that it be kept. "I said, 'Michael we've got to cut that intro'", Jones later recalled. "He said, 'But that's the jelly!'[...] 'That's what makes me want to dance'. And when Michael Jackson tells you, 'That's what makes me want to dance', well, the rest of us just have to shut up."[7][11] Jones also wanted to change the track's title to "Not My Lover", as he believed that people would think the song referred to the tennis player Billie Jean King.[12][13] Jackson refused to change the title and asked Jones to give him co-producing credits for the track; he felt that the demo tape sounded exactly like the finished product. In addition, Jackson wanted extra royalties. Jones granted neither and the two fell out for several days.[5][9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Jean

Back