Production of 'Sisterella' to be staged in L.A. / TJ Jackson and Taylor Dayne to star in it

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
LOS ANGELES — A production of "Sisterella," a pop-rock update of the Cinderella fable that had been backed by Michael Jackson, is being planned for Los Angeles next spring.

Jerry Greenberg and Frank Dileo will produce the Larry Hart-written musical, which first debuted in Los Angeles at the Pasadena Playhouse in 1996. Jackson was the executive producer.

Greenberg was president of Jackson's jointly owned record label with Sony Music for 11 years. Dileo was the pop icon's manager.

Casting and further details were expected later.

Raymond G. del Barrio will be the show's choreographer — the same role he held when the musical debuted.

Set in turn-of-the-century New York, the musical tells the story of a wicked stepmother who tries to steal the fortune her late husband left to his daughter.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

“Sisterella” received rave reviews and won 16 NAACP Theater Award nominations and eight NAACP Theater Awards including best Play and Best Director. In Europe, “Sisterella” was voted show of the decade.

SISTERELLACD.jpg

SISTERELLA - BY MJJ MUSIC - 13 TR. - 1996 - SELECTIONS FRON THE ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING - EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: MICHAEL JACKSON & JERRY GREENBERG
http://mjjshop.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=286&osCsid=575ad17e1414c496fc235b61926f5750

Tracklist:

1. I Got The Money
2. Changes
3. I Will Be There For You
4. Doctor Doctor
5. I'm Gonna Get Her
6. Money Reprise
7. I Need A Miracle
8. Throw Down
9. Knight In Shining Armour
10. (I Wanna Be) Loved By Somebody
11. What Are You Thinking (Una Fikili Nini)
12. Stand Strong
13. Stand Reprise

sisterella01_big.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Production of 'Sisterella' to be staged in L.A.

Production of 'Sisterella' to be staged in L.A.

Set in turn-of-the-century New York, the musical tells the story of a wicked stepmother who tries to steal the fortune her late husband left to his daughter.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/ent...cle_3734b5ad-9665-50e7-9efc-70f3b0f2e760.html

ASIDE:
:clapping:I'm so....happy to hear Sisterella is back. If you ever get the
chance go see this play, DO!
I saw the musical, Sisterella, live in Pasadena, California.
It's WONDERFUL, and the music is JOYFULL!!!!
Sisterella should be on Broadway in New York City.:clapping:

I wish someone would Post some audio of the music.
It's OUTSTANDING!!!!
The woman who plays the evil stepmother MUST be Great;
or she will not be able to sing the songs...
like, "I Got the Money".

Last edited:

I'm not sure I ever knew of this production. Interesting. I hope it does make it to Broadway someday.

Wow, brings back veeeery distant memories. Mystery magazine had a piece on that at the time, with a pic of MJ and Larry Hart. Never knew the musical was such a success though. Good for them!

It should be on Broadway soon. Seeing a musical play produced by Michael would be a dream come true for me!!!

Anyone know if MJ ever recorded any tracks for Sisterella?

Ashtanga;3003061 said:
Wow, I really do not remember it. :scratch: :bugeyed

larry-hart-and-jacksonmj-scan-1-400.jpg

This Sunday, July 12, Grammy winner Larry Hart during his Concert of “Praise” at South Point will sing Michael Jackson’s favorite song “Stand Strong” from the musical “Sisterella” staged in the 90s.

Hart wrote the book, music and lyrics for “Sisterella,” which was executive produced and presented by Michael Jackson and Jerry Greenberg, and produced by Robert DeNiro, Tribecca Films and Miramax. With Jackson’s support, “Sisterella” went on to do great things. While in Los Angeles, “Sisterella” received rave reviews and won 16 NAACP Theater Award nominations and eight NAACP Theater Awards including best Play and Best Director. In Europe, “Sisterella” was voted show of the decade.

Hart reflects, “Michael was my business partner, who became a dear friend. I am the only composer on earth that Michael Jackson ever attached his name to a project that was not of his creation.” Hart acknowledges Jackson’s mentoring on the show from new techniques in the studio for the cast album to his influence on the costumes and dance.

A new touring production of ”Sisterella” is being mounted in 2010 with thoughts of Jackson close at hand.

The gender bending version of the production is known as Sisterfella!:D

0ba01e6e.jpg

Moonwalker.Fan;3003785 said:

This Sunday, July 12, Grammy winner Larry Hart during his Concert of “Praise” at South Point will sing Michael Jackson’s favorite song “Stand Strong” from the musical “Sisterella” staged in the 90s.

Hart wrote the book, music and lyrics for “Sisterella,” which was executive produced and presented by Michael Jackson and Jerry Greenberg, and produced by Robert DeNiro, Tribecca Films and Miramax. With Jackson’s support, “Sisterella” went on to do great things. While in Los Angeles, “Sisterella” received rave reviews and won 16 NAACP Theater Award nominations and eight NAACP Theater Awards including best Play and Best Director. In Europe, “Sisterella” was voted show of the decade.

Hart reflects, “Michael was my business partner, who became a dear friend. I am the only composer on earth that Michael Jackson ever attached his name to a project that was not of his creation.” Hart acknowledges Jackson’s mentoring on the show from new techniques in the studio for the cast album to his influence on the costumes and dance.

A new touring production of ”Sisterella” is being mounted in 2010 with thoughts of Jackson close at hand.
Thanks!!! :D

Agent M;3017776 said:

0ba01e6e.jpg
OMG!!!! :bugeyed

:lol:

Michael Jackson's Nephew TJ Jackson, pop Singer Taylor Dayne to Star in 'Sisterella' in LA
By The Associated Press (CP) – 28 minutes ago

NEW YORK, N.Y. — One of Michael Jackson's nephews will star alongside pop singer Taylor Dayne in the Los Angeles production of "Sisterella" next spring.

T.J. Jackson is a son of Michael Jackson's brother Tito. Producers say he'll play the role of Prince Jean Luc in the Larry Hart-written musical. The part originally was developed
for the King of Pop.

The musical is set in turn-of-the-century New York. It tells the story of a wicked stepmother who tries to steal the fortune her late husband left to his daughter.

Dayne will play the stepmother, Dahlia. Dayne is most famous for 1980s and '90s hits including "Tell It To My Heart" and "Love Will Lead You Back."

Jerry Greenberg and Frank Dileo will produce the musical, which first debuted in Los Angeles at the Pasadena Playhouse in 1996. Michael Jackson was the executive producer.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iMJiJytDVFNa8la-TyXzWvGFtktA?docId=4967122

Taylor Dayne "Love Will Lead You Back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]MO6xhLtfwW0&ob=av2e[/youtube]

3T and Michael Jackson "Why"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]JgolYfq4xvI&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson's nephew TJ Jackson, pop singer Taylor Dayne to Star in 'Sisterella' in LA

Shouldn't that be in 2300 Jackson St?

OT: Another blow to the Conspiracy theorists? Dileo ..working with another Jackson?

Re: Michael Jackson's nephew TJ Jackson, pop singer Taylor Dayne to Star in 'Sisterella' in LA

Shouldn't that be in 2300 Jackson St?
OT: Another blow to the Conspiracy theorists? Dileo ..working with another Jackson?

No, I never go to 2300, instead, it
should be merged with the other thread on
Michael's Play: "Sisterella".

threads merged

Moonwalker.Fan;3003785 said:

thanks so much for this informtion!
I had no single idea about this.
Shame on me. And so great from Michael!!!! Aww... Michael, Michael... always surprising :wub: So much talent in just one man :clapping:

0ba01e6e.jpg

Some things in life are just plain wrong and this is just wrong, wrong, wrong! ugh!:puke:

As for the play, I remember first hearing about this back in the day, hope its a success.

This another Larry Heart production . Seems familiar :)
610_PRAISE_POSTER_ART_2.JPG

[youtube]rWxvTumF1kY[/youtube]

suzynyc;3003059 said:
I'm not sure I ever knew of this production. Interesting. I hope it does make it to Broadway someday.

Ashtanga;3003061 said:
Wow, I really do not remember it. :scratch: :bugeyed

Michael attended a performance of the play “Sisterella.” with Debbie April 28 1996
michael-jackson44.jpg

90t7uq.jpg

I listened to the original cast recording of Sisterella and liked it a lot. I look forward to this production. I was pleased to read TJ would be starring in it. He is a cutie :)

Back