Pop music critic Robert Hilburn on Michael Jackson

benscarr

Proud Member
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-jackson-hilburn27-2009jun27,0,4897003.story

By Robert Hilburn
June 27, 2009
I'll always regret that my last conversation with Michael Jackson ended with him angrily hanging up the phone -- at least I've long thought of Michael's mood that day more than a decade ago as angry. I realize now that a more accurate description would be "wounded."

Michael was among the sweetest and most talented people I met during 35 years covering pop music for the Los Angeles Times.

I was fortunate to be present at many of his proudest moments. I was in the audience the night in 1983 that he unveiled the electrifying Moonwalk on the Motown TV special and in the studio in 1985 for the all-star "We Are the World" recording session. I was with him at the Jackson family home in Encino soon after he purchased the Beatles song catalog in 1985.

Related

More Related:
  • Michael Jackson 911 call: 'He's not breathing'
  • photoicon.gif
    Michael Jackson | 1958-2009
  • photoicon.gif
    Fans mourn Michael Jackson

Listen To Michael Jackson
Listen To Michael Jackson Now! It's Free with the Music Toolbar
Music.alot.com
Michael Joseph Jackson
Wholesale and retail top quality Many styles of the latest fashion
www.tradeg20.com

Michael struck me as one of the most fragile and lonely people I've ever met. His heart may have finally stopped beating Thursday afternoon, but it had been broken long ago.

During weekends I spent with him on the road during the Jacksons' "Victory" tour in 1984, I learned that he was so traumatized by events during his late teens -- notably the rejection by fans who missed the "little" Michael of the Jackson 5 days -- that he relied desperately on fame to protect him from further pain. In the end, that overriding need for celebrity was at the root of his tragedy.

I first met Michael in the early days of the Jackson 5 at the family home in Los Angeles, and the memory that stands out is that Michael, as cute and wide-eyed as an 11-year-old could be, was eager to get through the interview so he could watch cartoons before having to go to bed.

When I caught up with him a decade later, his personality had changed radically. That happy-go-lucky kid was nowhere to be found.

Michael's sales had fallen off dramatically in the mid-1970s, and by the time he reemerged with the hit "Off the Wall" album in 1979, he was scarred emotionally. There's often a gap between a performer's public and private sides, but rarely was it as noticeable as with Michael.

Sitting at the rear of the tour bus after a triumphant concert in St. Louis in 1981, Michael was anxious, frequently bowing his head as he whispered answers to my questions. In contrast to the charismatic, strutting figure on stage, he wrestled with a Bambi-like shyness. Despite the resurgence in his popularity, he complained of feeling alone -- almost abandoned. He was 23.

When I asked why he didn't live on his own like his brothers, rather than at his parents' house, he said, "Oh, no, I think I'd die on my own. I'd be so lonely. Even at home, I'm lonely. I sit in my room and sometimes cry. It is so hard to make friends, and there are some things you can't talk to your parents or family about. I sometimes walk around the neighborhood at night, just hoping to find someone to talk to. But I just end up coming home."

That's as far as Michael could go that night to explain his deep-rooted anguish. It would be four more years before he was willing to tell me more.

Michael had signed a book deal with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, an editor at Doubleday, before the "Victory" tour, and he wanted me to help him write it. I spent several weekends on the road with him during the tour. I soon discovered that Michael -- who guarded his privacy at all costs -- wanted to put together a picture book, while Onassis wanted a full-scale biography.

After a showdown between the two, Michael's longtime attorney and friend John Branca called to thank me for my efforts and said Doubleday was going in a different direction. My involvement ended.

During our time together, my conversations with Michael sometimes led -- once the tape recorder was off -- to darker moments from his past. One night when we were going through a stack of old photos, a picture of him in his late teens triggered a sudden openness.

"Ohh, that's horrible," he said, recoiling from the picture.

Michael explained that his face was so covered with acne and his nose so large at that time that visitors to the family home in Encino sometimes wouldn't recognize him. "They would come up, look me straight in the eye and ask if I knew where that 'cute little Michael' was." It was as if the "whole world was saying, 'How dare you grow up on us.' "

Michael said he started looking down at the floor when people approached or would stay in his room when visitors came to the house.

Michael vowed to do whatever it took to make people "love me again." The rejection fueled his ambition to be the biggest pop star in the world and to try to make his face beautiful. Unfortunately, Michael's need was so great that no amount of love seemed to be enough.

The stage was his sanctuary. There, he was larger than life and no one could threaten him. Every time he left the stage, he said, he felt vulnerable again.

In the 1981 interview, he told me, "My real goal is to fulfill God's purpose. I didn't choose to sing or dance. But that's my role, and I want to do it better than anybody else. I still remember the first time I sang in kindergarten class. I sang 'Climb Every Mountain,' and everyone got so excited.

"It's beautiful at the shows when people join together. It's our own little world. For that hour and a half, we try to show there is hope and goodness. It's only when you step back outside the building that you see all the craziness."

Michael's hunger for fame and success struck me as increasingly obsessive and unhealthy.

Even though 1982's "Thriller" was the biggest-selling album of all time, Michael told me one night that his next album would sell twice as many copies. I thought he was joking, but he had never been more serious.

Related

More Related:

Listen To Michael Jackson
Listen To Michael Jackson Now! It's Free with the Music Toolbar
Music.alot.com
Michael Joseph Jackson
Wholesale and retail top quality Many styles of the latest fashion
www.tradeg20.com

As years went by, I watched with sadness as his music went from the wonderful self-affirmation and endearing spirit of "Thriller" to something increasingly calculated and soulless. His impact in the marketplace waned accordingly. It appeared that his desperate need for ultra stardom -- the "King of Pop" proclamation -- and his escalating eccentricities made it difficult for audiences to identify with him.

Even some of his "Thriller" fans were ultimately turned off. In the public mind, he went from the "King of Pop" to the "King of Hype."

When I surveyed leading record industry executives in 1995 to determine pop's hottest properties, Michael wasn't in the top 20.

One executive said flatly: "The thing he doesn't understand is that he'd be better off in the long run if he made a great record that only went to No. 20 than if he hyped another mediocre record to No. 1. The thing he needs is credibility."

Another executive said simply that Michael was "over."

Michael was furious when he called me the day after the story ran in The Times.

How could I betray him by writing such lies?

Couldn't I see the record executives were just jealous?

I tried gently to tell him that I thought there was some truth in what the executives were saying and that he had lost touch with the qualities that once made him so endearing.

"That hurts me, Robert," he said, his voice quivering.

I felt bad.

I started to say that he could be as big as ever if he would only . . . , but I couldn't complete the sentence.

Michael hung up.

After that, I followed his life from a distance -- the child molestation charges, the battle with painkillers, the marriage to Lisa Marie Presley, the increasingly bizarre lifestyle.

Although he would periodically announce recording projects or touring plans, I couldn't imagine, after all the humiliation and disappointment, that Michael could find the strength to step in front of the public again. I thought the fear of failure was too great. It was easier to stay in a fantasy land.

So I was surprised when he announced that he was returning to the stage in a few weeks and was even more surprised when he sold out 50 nights at the O2 Arena in London.

Maybe Michael was stronger than I thought. It took enormous courage to be willing to go back on stage for what could be a make-or-break moment -- and the ticket demand must have given him hope. Despite all that had happened, he saw that he was still loved by millions of fans.

In the best scenario, Michael, 50, would have triumphed in London, not only erasing his mountain of debt but also restoring to himself the sense of invincibility that fame represented. Failure in those shows, however, could have left him even more wounded and vulnerable.

As the July dates neared, I imagined Michael's anxiety mounting day by day, even hour by hour. There must have been days when he felt he could do it, could reclaim his crown with a series of breathtaking performances and stand forever alongside Elvis Presley and the Beatles in pop music lore.

But what if he was wrong?

What if he wasn't strong enough, physically and emotionally? What if he couldn't live up to expectations?

What if no amount of adulation could make him feel safe again?

The stress must have been immense -- and maybe in the end it was too much for his broken heart.

Robert Hilburn was The Times' pop music critic from 1970 to 2005. Parts of this article are excerpted from his memoir, "Corn Flakes With John Lennon, and Other Tales From a Rock 'n' Roll Life," which will be published in October.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also watch a video interview of Robert Hillburn talking about Michael, which is interesting and has two rare photos of Michael from 1981.

I just found an incredible 19 min interview on youtube with Robert Hilburn discussing all the times he was with Michael since the early 1970s.

Hilburn has been with and interviewed Michael off and on since Michael was a small child. Talks about the first time he interviewed Michael and his brothers and how Michael was shy, but was eager to shake his hand and go back to watching his cartoons.

In the late 1970s, Hilburn talks about when Michael was isolating himself and how Michael felt rejected when the Jackson 5 were not as popular anymore. Michael also told him how hurt he was when fans would look for the cute little boy, but when they saw the awkward teen would reject him.

Hilburn talked about Michael's work ethic and how his biography 'Moonwalk' evolved.

This is only the tip of the iceburg. It's a very interesting interview with someone who has been there to write about Michael's career from child star, to superstar, to the biggest star in the world.

Robert Hilburn remembers Michael Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXHG60VB0w

Michael's hunger for fame and success struck me as increasingly obsessive and unhealthy.
This could be said for some fans as well, who constantly need to belittle other performers in order to "prove" Mike's superiority. They need to bring up statistics & numbers about every little thing. It's like Mike is Superman and does everything. Everybody else around him like the brothers, producers, directors, etc. are useless people who doesn't really do anything. I really don't know what is accomplished by doing that or what the point is.

I sometimes walk around the neighborhood at night, just hoping to find someone to talk to. But I just end up coming home.

he was human. he had his flaws. but nothing he ever did justifies the way he was treated.

my heart breaks for him every day. I just...I can't get over it. I wish things could have been different for him.

thank you for the link and the post.

That was interesting, thanks for posting.
At least he knew he still had a lot of fans that looked forward to him performing and making music again.

Miss him so much. :cry:

tsk...another so called -critic- who says that Michael after Thriller was kinda over: Bad and Dangerous were huge, History was huge all over the world (except USA, but who cares) and even Invincible sold 10 milions copies (who sells 10 milions nowadays?)
it's typical from a US journalist talking about Michael: they simply don't know (or ignore it on purpose) that there is a whole world outside USA, where Michael was very popular for his music even after the first allegations...

This interview is so truthfull and hurt full at the same time, Michael allowed people to determine his happiness by depending on their opinion of him.

I understand because I am just like that at times. Michael only wanted to make people happy but got only more and more demands to give more and more.

This interview is so truthfull and hurt full at the same time, Michael allowed people to determine his happiness by depending on their opinion of him.

I understand because I am just like that at times. Michael only wanted to make people happy but got only more and more demands to give more and more.

I agree, This dude knew what he was talking about. And he did so without bashing Michael like most creeps would. But you know of course people on this board arent going to accept any kind of negative criticism.

tsk...another so called -critic- who says that Michael after Thriller was kinda over: Bad and Dangerous were huge, History was huge all over the world (except USA, but who cares) and even Invincible sold 10 milions copies (who sells 10 milions nowadays?)
it's typical from a US journalist talking about Michael: they simply don't know (or ignore it on purpose) that there is a whole world outside USA, where Michael was very popular for his music even after the first allegations...
This kind of comment is just what I was talking about.

In the late 1970s, Hilburn talks about when Michael was isolating himself and how Michael felt rejected when the Jackson 5 were not as popular anymore. Michael also told him how hurt he was when fans would look for the cute little boy, but when they saw the awkward teen would reject him.

What the heck, Teen Michael was hot, why would they do that too him. Heck if i was living back then I would be fangirly if i ever got that chance to meet him.

And I can as a MJ fan accept different criticism, just as long as they don't bring the negative stuff up. I like to hear constructive criticism, like what they didn't like about so or so song and things like that.

I learned that he was so traumatized by events during his late teens -- notably the rejection by fans who missed the "little" Michael of the Jackson 5 days -- that he relied desperately on fame to protect him from further pain. In the end, that overriding need for celebrity was at the root of his tragedy.
what does that mean ?

This kind of comment is just what I was talking about.

They're not belittling other artists and their comment that Michael remained popular outside of the USA post '93 is true. So they're not quite the kind of comment you were referring to. It *is* annoying hearing jack all about Bad and Dangerous.

They're not belittling other artists and their comment that Michael remained popular outside of the USA post '93 is true. So they're not quite the kind of comment you were referring to. It *is* annoying hearing jack all about Bad and Dangerous.

I agree. There is a view shared with journalists that Michael's career was over after Thriller but that's not true. I remember the Thriller era very well, and Thriller was huge in the UK, but the whole Thriller era was mainly USA based. Bad may not have been sold as much as Thriller, and in the USA the Bad era wasn't as big as Thriller (even though he had 5 No.1's of Bad unlike on the Thriller album), but on a worldwide scale the Bad era with the amazing Bad Tour is what set Michael's name in stone as a then living legend who would never need to record another song or tour again. Here in the UK it is actually forgotten that the Bad album is Michael's biggest selling album here.

I agree with some of Robet Hillburn's views, even some of critical views of Michael at times trying too hard to please radio listeners and the music become more calculated post Thriller (but in my view post Bad). But Michael did continue to make amazing music throughout his career post Thriller, and the Bad album is awesome in my opinon, I've always loved that album. And Michael's career never ended in failure, he continued to release music that was a success even in this decade in which Michael Jackson was seen by many as a freak.

I agree that Michael wanted huge fame (many artists and bands do but deny it), but he didn't want fame just for the sake of it. In my view Michael knew from a young age his talent was in a genius level and he was uncomparable, and he knew for his talent to be given the credit it deserved he had to reach the highest level of fame which was up there with Elvis and The Beatles. And Michael was talented and intelligent enough to know how to make amazing music and come up an iconic image and persona to do that. Of course Michael paid a huge price for his success and fame, by the media backlash he faced starting in 1984. But in the long run he created such amazing music, performances and a persona that the level of fame he was supposed to be obsessed with has given the immortality in death Michael had always wished for. I would actually say Michael was obessed with perfection of his art more so than fame.

I would actually say Michael was obessed with perfection of his art more so than fame.

This is my impression too, and he has said it himself several times. In one interview (MTV late nineties?) he says that he liked the Thriller video when he saw it, but... and then goes on to explain how he is never completely satisfied with camera angles, timing etc. That to me screams the word 'perfectionist'. And that's one reason why he was SO successful.

As for Thriller, yes it was huge here in the UK (as everywhere else!) but he continued with his massive popularity long after that. I always remember the media excitement around any video release for any of the singles, including those from Bad and Dangerous. 'Remember the Time' springs to mind :)

I do not like this article at all. How can he call MJ's work after Thriller soulless?? I prefer HIStory to Off the wall. I only like 3 songs on OTW. I'm sick of these kind of articles. They never gave him a break. They wanted him to fail so badly. They just kept kicking and kicking him because they just love it when a superstar gets into trouble. :mello:

I can't stand music critics and their stupid opinions. And they even get paid for it.

I do not like this article at all. How can he call MJ's work after Thriller soulless?? I prefer HIStory to Off the wall. I only like 3 songs on OTW. I'm sick of these kind of articles. They never gave him a break. They wanted him to fail so badly. They just kept kicking and kicking him because they just love it when a superstar gets into trouble. :mello:

I can't stand music critics and their stupid opinions. And they even get paid for it.

?? I disagree. Everything about the Off the Wall peroid is better than the History Peroid.

Off the Wall Album is a masterpiece. One of the most soulful albums ever recorded.
History is a very very good album but Off the Wall is better. The songs his singing etc is better.
Even the Off the Wall Tour " Triumph" is much much better than the History Tour. Michael was vocally on top. He was singing his best on the Triumph concerts. Have seen all his concerts from Destiny to History and the Off the Wall Mike was singing in the Triumph concert the very best. Much better than Bad 88! His voice during Off the Wall was incredible soulful. And the History Concert was the low point. So everything about Off the Wall was better for me . His singing-his looks the songs etc That area was magic!!!

And people seem to agree with me because Off the Wall is right now selling much more than the History album in the USA and I think it´s for a reason.

?? I disagree. Everything about the Off the Wall peroid is better than the History Peroid.

Off the Wall Album is a masterpiece. One of the most soulful albums ever recorded.
History is a very very good album but Off the Wall is better. The songs his singing etc is better.
Even the Off the Wall Tour " Triumph" is much much better than the History Tour. Michael was vocally on top. He was singing his best on the Triumph concerts. Have seen all his concerts from Destiny to History and the Off the Wall Mike was singing in the Triumph concert the very best. Much better than Bad 88! His voice during Off the Wall was incredible soulful. And the History Concert was the low point. So everything about Off the Wall was better for me . His singing-his looks the songs etc That area was magic!!!

I didn't even mention the HIStory tour. HIStory album is simply more interesting to me than OTW. I didn't say it was his best album. I just compared these two because OTW is my least favorite.

I didn't even mention the HIStory tour. HIStory album is simply more interesting to me than OTW. I didn't say it was his best album. I just compared these two because OTW is my least favorite.

I understand but his voice in concert and on record was better on the off the wall album. So I´m not talking only about the History Concert voice. You cannot seperate them anyway A voice is a voice in the studio or in concert.
Alone listening to his fantastic voice gives me chills. His voice on the History album was not so souful.
Every song on Off the Wall is great it doesn´t have one bad song but History has This Time a round, Come Together etc in my opinion filler material not classic MJ songs.

These are my favourite MJ albums.

1 Thriller and Off the Wall
2. Triumph and Bad
3. Destiny and Dangerous
4. History and Invincible
5. Blood on the Dancefloor

So for me History and Invincible are both of the same quality not bad because Mike doesn´t have one bad album but also not his best work like Triumph or Thriller Off the Wall

Last edited:

You didn't read the whole comment, because it is what I'm talking about. My comment wasn't only about belittling other acts. Talking about albums sales is "statistics & numbers".

This is why I don't like music critics. They try to appear truthful by putting down someone else. If that person thinks MJ's music beyond thriller was souless, then perhaps it's the critic that is souless.

You didn't read the whole comment, because it is what I'm talking about. My comment wasn't only about belittling other acts. Talking about albums sales is "statistics & numbers".

Actually I *did* read what your comment was about in its entirety. However your reference to statistics and figures is meant in relation to belittling other artists and proving Mike is superman.
The comment you spoke about was in fact not belittling other artists nor did it use sales figures to make Mike look superman, they merely used them to illustrate that work post Thriller has succeeded because, in their opinion, post Thriller work is not given recognition. Their question about who sells 10 million now days was rhetorical. No belittling other artists, merely stating that 10 million is still an achievment to be represented with due credit. That is why I did not reference their use of the stats - it was not relevant to your context. And furthermore, what's wrong with using statistics??
Furthermore, their comment did NOT mention producers or any other behind the scenes people to discredit them, nor did it state anywhere that Mike's success was solely his own. So no, their comment was not the type of comment you described.

Actually I *did* read what your comment was about in its entirety. However your reference to statistics and figures is meant in relation to belittling other artists and proving Mike is superman.
The comment you spoke about was in fact not belittling other artists nor did it use sales figures to make Mike look superman, they merely used them to illustrate that work post Thriller has succeeded because, in their opinion, post Thriller work is not given recognition. Their question about who sells 10 million now days was rhetorical. No belittling other artists, merely stating that 10 million is still an achievment to be represented with due credit. That is why I did not reference their use of the stats - it was not relevant to your context. And furthermore, what's wrong with using statistics??
Furthermore, their comment did NOT mention producers or any other behind the scenes people to discredit them, nor did it state anywhere that Mike's success was solely his own. So no, their comment was not the type of comment you described.

thank you, you said it

Back