Play it again for me, Teddy?

arXter

Proud Member
over the years, i've come across a couple Teddy Riley tracks that link back to his work on both Dangerous and Invincible.

the first, and my favourite, is the drum break he used for the Remember The Time video during the dance choreo (@ 6:27).

around the same period (1990) he used that same rhythm as the basis for his remix of this moderate njs hit by Hi-Five:

4lhnus.jpg

I Just Can't
Handle It

(12" Extended Mix)

the next one's a more prominent connection, and again around the same period as he produced the MJ track - in this case Shout - he based a song for one of his groups, Guy, on the same basic composition in 2000:

2aakni8.jpg

Do It

and this one's a stretch and a bit random, but does anyone else hear the same swelling/'bursting' synth sound used for opening Can't Let Her Get Away in this Teddy remix of Janet's 1996 single?

1oazy9.jpg

Go Deep
(T.R. Funk Mix)

Last edited:
I vaguely hear something similar to RTT in the first track. The 2nd song by Guy is SHOUT. Its Shouts rhythm. And that is deffo CLHGA's intro used there on Janets remix of Go Deep! Ive heard this one before but not the others

Thanx for this arX! ;)

I don't know how you find these little snippets, but that is exactly like me in a sense too. I do that from time to time. Having a good ear for melody is both a gift and a curse, lol. You are spot on with these beats too. They sound exactly alike! If i'd have heard these songs before, I would have noticed them too. These are great finds!

over the years, i've come across a couple Teddy Riley tracks that link back to his work on both Dangerous and Invincible.

the first, and my favourite, is the drum break he used for the Remember The Time video during the dance choreo (@ 6:27).

around the same period (1990) he used that same rhythm as the basis for his remix of this moderate njs hit by Hi-Five:

4lhnus.jpg

I Just Can't
Handle It

(12" Extended Mix)

First off, thank you SO MUCH for this thread man, I really appreciate it a whole lot and I've played the Guy & Janet songs all day long. I've actually never heard them before.
If you know any songs with the same flavor as this then feel free to drop some names that I can collect! (BTW, after hearing the Guy joint, it dawned on me where Neptunes got their aggressive sound that they had earlier in their career.)
I've actually never heard a Guy album, I've not managed to get my hands on their albums, but I have a feeling I will enjoy them more than the Blackstreet project.

Secondly, that Hi-Five beat... is it just me or does it sound a whole lot like the beat in this YouTube Clip?

Rumors were that Michael Jackson actually would make music to a Sonic game but Sega changed their mind after the first child molestation case.
However, many think that it was too late to pull the music out, so they just didn't credit Michael.
Here's an unembeddable YouTube clip that explains the story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbVM-l2Oku4

Once again, thank you so much for this thread... The Guy & Janet song are just what I needed to hear right now!

yo Mr. Wayne, that's definitely another connection there with Sega! haha, and also Teddy seemed to have made a whole remix of Remember The Time based on that very rhythmic pattern - this is a track from one of the Dangerous session acetates that were leaked/sold last year:

9h5rna.jpg

Remember The Time
(Remix #4)

And that is deffo CLHGA's intro used there on Janets remix of Go Deep! Ive heard this one before but not the others
Cam mate it's because you put me to those Janet mixes that i first came across this, last week i think. so cheers to you too.

f_cheers.gif

yo Mr. Wayne, that's definitely another connection there with Sega! haha, and also Teddy seemed to have made a whole remix of Remember The Time based on that very rhythmic pattern - this is a track from one of the Dangerous session acetates that were leaked/sold last year:

9h5rna.jpg

Remember The Time
(Remix #4)

ohsnap1.gif

I have no idea how I possibly could've missed that remix, especially since I've heard (and love) Teddy's acapella.
Thank you so much for this! I need to new jack that swing beat :D ("ha-ha" very funny :D)

Do you know how many remixes Teddy has done of Remember The Time? (Is there any more joints he has remixed for MJ?)

i don't know how much of a stretch this is, but in 1988 Teddy arranged and ghost-produced Boy George's foray into njs with Don't Take My Mind On A Trip which i always wondered whether he may have later used it as the basis for reworking Michael's title track Dangerous into more of a swing groove, moving away from Bill Bottrell's original electro pop demo.

listen below, are there any significant similarities or am i overanalysing? i think the snare sound/pattern plus the rhythm guitar-like synth stabs in Boy George's track parallels Dangerous's snare and industrial backgrounds (which make up the overall rhythm).

2dtxkzk.png

Boy George

Don't Take My
Mind On a Trip

i don't know how much of a stretch this is, but in 1988 Teddy arranged and ghost-produced Boy George's foray into njs with Don't Take My Mind On A Trip which i always wondered whether he may have later used it as the basis for reworking Michael's title track Dangerous into more of a swing groove, moving away from Bill Bottrell's original electro pop demo.

listen below, are there any significant similarities or am i overanalysing? i think the snare sound/pattern plus the rhythm guitar-like synth stabs in Boy George's track parallels Dangerous's snare and industrial backgrounds (which make up the overall rhythm).

2dtxkzk.png

Boy George

Don't Take My
Mind On a Trip

Never thought of a connection between the two but since Teddy produced both tracks it wouldn't surprice me if there are elements inspired or reused from previous work.

On another note thou, I never really understood how the hell Boy George hooked up with Teddy Riley - such a odd transition from Culture Club to NJS - and what makes it even weirder is that the collab actually worked n payed off, not a bad track at all..

yep, it was a crazy clash but as you say really nice. and probably one of Teddy's bigger hits.

this following moot tidbit is for geeks only. i once stumbled across a default patch originally on the 1990 Korg Wavestation synthesiser. the patch's appropriately or coincidentally named "SustainPedalJam". this rhythmic sample is heard running throughout the Jam Percapella and i think can also be heard faintly in the album version. Teddy was very much into the new state-of-the-art keys and synths of the time, so chances are it's his doing.

zy9j0j.jpg

SustainPedalJam
Korg Wavestation Patch

^^

haha, thanks for pointing out which model it was from - I've had that patch/sample for years :)
Would still kill for a Yamaha DX7 or just the patches from it thou (the patch "E. Bass 1" was one of the most used bass patches during the 80's - from Aha's Take On Me to Mike's Another Part Of Me...)

a further dot connected - in this '97 track, Teddy rehashes She Drives Me Wild's car horn sound and pattern:

zx44w.jpg

Queen Pen ft. BLACKstreet

Man Behind The Music

wow I miss this section....but I think it may be because he using the same intruments sometimes producers and even songwriters write or make songs that sound alike and they might not even realize it...but great find I haven't heard of most of those songs

:yes:The reason all those songs have the same beat is because they are the "New Jack Swing" beat that Teddy invented. That was the style he created so of course they all will sound the same. It's kinda like a disco beat back in the 70's.

Theres another version of that Boy george song thats has more simularities to Dangerous I think. I was really suprised when I first heard dangerous because I thought it really sounded like the Boys song.

Back