Philosophy Riddle(s)

Stargirl

Proud Member
Here's one I found on a philosophy forum. I really love these!

Suppose you die and awaken in a room with two doors and one guard at each door. A voice speaks to you and tells you that one door leads to eternity in Heaven and one door leads to an eternity in Hell. You are allowed to approach a guard and ask him a question and only one question that will help you determine which door to choose since the doors are unlabeled and you are unable to look through a door before entering.

However, you are also told that one of the guards ALWAYS lies and one ALWAYS tells the truth, and you cannot know which one is which.

What question do you ask so that, no matter which guard you ask (remember, you CANNOT know which one you are asking), you get an answer that guarantees that you choose the correct door?

You'd ask the guard who always lies.
You'd asked the guard who always lies "which door will the other guard tell me to go through" then the guard that always lies will tell you that the other guard will tell you to walk through his door ( as in the guard who always lies door) but of course tha guard always lies so he'll be lying about what he thinks the other guard will be sayin so you go through the door with the guard that always tells the truth.

Do you get me?

You'd ask the guard who always lies.
You'd asked the guard who always lies "which door will the other guard tell me to go through" then the guard that always lies will tell you that the other guard will tell you to walk through his door ( as in the guard who always lies door) but of course tha guard always lies so he'll be lying about what he thinks the other guard will be sayin so you go through the door with the guard that always tells the truth.

Do you get me?

Actually, you wouldn't know which guard is the one that lies.
So you just ask one guard "which door would the other guard tell me to go through/leads to Heaven". If it's the guard who always lies, that would mean that the other guard always tells the truth and would suggest the correct door, but since the guard you're asking is lying, he would tell you the opposite, so you have to choose the OTHER door than the one he points at. Same applies if the guard you ask is indeed the one who always tells the truth. Because he would be telling you honestly which door the other guard would recommend (the wrong door, as he's lying) and again, you would choose the other door, not the one the guard metions. :)

on a serious note though, you would ask the guard if you were a male or female, simple as that, the one who always lies will tell you that you are of the opposite sex, the one who tells the truth will tell you the truth lol, easy as cake!

on a serious note though, you would ask the guard if you were a male or female, simple as that, the one who always lies will tell you that you are of the opposite sex, the one who tells the truth will tell you the truth lol, easy as cake!

Then you find out which guard is which, but not which door you should go though. You're only allowed one question.

Back