Philadelphia Phillies: World Champions!!!!!!

Bee.

Proud Member
Hey fans!! Man................. I am so happy today because the Philadelphia Phillies (major league baseball team) finally - or - phinally - won the world series since 1980. That is a whole 28 years!! The Phillies' win also killed the "curse" that has plague my beloved city since 1983 - The William Penn curse. Where are the Philly MJ fans at?!!! Yeah, you guys, our boys did the damn thing!!!!!!! These are exciting times. I never thought that this team or any team in Philly would even win a major series. Since the last one in 1983, 25 years ago, we have went to the finals seven times and never won. The emotions of anger, disappointment, sadness, and heartbreak have been the normal feelings that Philadelphians have felt.

However, last night, game 5 change everything forever regarding the Philly sports fans. When we won that game, I screamed so loud that my thoart started to hurt. All of the emotions set in: happiness, shock, disbelief, joy, and hopefulness. I cannot even tell you how amazing this is for my city. I really can't. You have to be either from the city or lived in the city for a lot of years to truly understand what this win means to the entire city. I have not been that happy about anything that did not had to do with my personal life since the Michael Jackson verdict. LOL.

There will be a parade tommorrow at 12pm Noon EST for the Phillies and I am planning to be there. It will be a crazy, insane and great time tommorow.

I am currently looking for some articles and things of that nature to help you fellow fans understand what this all means to Philadelphia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...tes_the_World_Series__the_cleanup_begins.html

Posted on Thu, Oct. 30, 2008

City celebrates the World Series; the cleanup begins
By Sam Wood and Peter Mucha

INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

Phillies fans celebrated the World Series victory well into the early morning hours and there was plenty of evidence of the party -- and destruction - up and down Broad Street this morning.
A spokesperson for the police department said officials were still assessing the damage and compiling figures on the number of arrests and injuries. Additional details were expected to be released today.

No homicides were reported overnight.

The emergency room was busier than usual last night at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital.

"We did have 12 to 15 revelers, mostly with fractures, including someone whose foot got run over by a car," said a spokeswoman. That was the most serious injury.

The city streets department this morning would only say cleanup crews were out working all over the city.

At Citizens Bank Park this morning there were no signs of last night's revelry -- outside of the manure left by the horses from the Pennsylvania State Police mounted patrols. Fox29 was hosting its morning show at the third base gate. The Interboro High Marching Band from Delaware County danced to a recorded disco version of 'Cotton Eyed Joe.'

A few fans had gathered to wait for the Phillies gift shop to open

At Broad and Walnut Streets at 6:30 a.m. city employees were sweeping up beer bottles, glass, and dirt from toppled planters.

One worker near the Academy of Music quipped, "It wasn't much worse than your average New Year's celebration."

The glass windows and doors of Robinson's Luggage were smashed. Oversized planters were overturned and their contents spilled out onto the street. Closer to City Hall, at Broad and Chestnut Streets, a newspaper honor box remained planted in the window of the FYE film and music store. Two of the oversized FYE plate glass windows were shattered.

Outside the Prince Music Theater, the 8-foot high sculpture was listing at a 45-degree angle.

At the Modell's at 1528 Chestnut Street, 50 fans had lined up by 4:30 a.m. to buy World Series commemorative t-shirts, caps, jackets. Though the store wasnt't scheduled to open until 5 a.m. Mitchell Modell, the owner and CEO of the chain, opened the doors and let them in early.

Modell said the two biggest sellers were the red Phinally t-shirt with the World Series trophy, the locker room championship hats and a gray hooded sweat shirt that the players will wear during the parade.

"We've had over 500 people so far," he said at 7 a.m. of the crowds that were jamming the store; 16 cashiers worked the registers and the crowds were 30 people deep.

When asked what he would have done with the merchandise and himself if the Phillies had lost the title to the Tampa Bay Rays, Modell joked: "I'd be looking for a new job and on suicide watch."

Steven Smith, 45, from Sewell, N.J, said he got the call from his wife this morning on his way to work ordering him to buy t-shirts for the kids and hooded sweat shirts for the adults.

"I'm pretty excited, who isn't," said Smith, who after watching the game at home drove into the city to celebrate and then returned to South Jersey.

Ian Farrell, 25, from the Fairmount section, clutched two t-shirts, two hats and two pennants. "The extra, in case I loose one," he said.

Farrell said he got no sleep last night. He watched the game at a pub and then spilled on to Broad Street when the Phils clinched the series.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/33566454.html

Posted on Thu, Oct. 30, 2008

Parade: 60-plus degrees, 1 million-plus fans
By Peter Mucha

Inquirer Staff Writer

Talk about a Halloween parade.
At noon on Friday, however, the most popular costume will be that of Phillies fan.

And there could be a million of them, as Philadelphia officially celebrates its first major sports championship in 25 years.

Last night, of course, the Phillies beat the Tampa Bay Rays, 4-3, to finish the suspended fifth game and win the World Series.

The parade will begin at 20th and Market Streets, then head down Broad Street to Citizens Bank Park.

Thinking of driving? Think again, officials say.

Streets will be jammed and parking will be impossible, so people are urged to take public transportation.

Or walk or bike.

SEPTA expects to announce additional bus and subway service later today, spokesman Felipe Suarez said this morning.

Officially, Philadelphia public and parochial schools will be open. But if past parade are predictive, many children will develop a serious case of "Phillies Fever," which is treated by fresh air and loud cheering.

In 1980, some teachers even conducted impromptu field trips with their students, citing the importance of studying history.

"Northeast Catholic came up with a unique solution. The kids were sent home just after 11 a.m. - in time to catch the el to the parade," the Daily News reported.

In South Jersey, the decision to close will be up to each school district, a state education spokeswoman said.

The forecast calls for sunny skies, with a high in the low 60s and light breezes.

The crowd at the 1980 parade for the Phillies first-ever world championship was estimated at 750,000 to 1.5 million, with another 80,000 at J.F.K. Stadium, where players and team officials addressed the fans, according to the Daily News.

The 1983 parade after the Sixers won the NBA title - the city's last major title until last night - drew about 1.7 million fans.

Biggest of all might have been the 1974 Flyers parade, witnessed by 2 million or more fans, according to estimates.

"Phillies fans have been waiting 28 years for this day," Mayor Nutter said. "We deserve this win. I can't wait to share this day with Phillies fans from across the city, state, and even country."

A noon news conference at Citizens Bank Park will provide more details. Among those in attendance will be the mayor, Phillies President David Montgomery, and representatives of SEPTA, Philadelphia Parking Authority and Philadelphia police.

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/

(To see what the trophy looks like)

Go to this site:

http://www.philliesphever.com/

And read what fans say and watch the video of the awesome but crazy Philly fans act a fool after the win!!

:)

Last edited:
I live an hour away from Philadelphia. And I say who the hell cares. I am still extremely angry at them for wining the World Series. It is because of them that they totally ruin my Halloween. Because Philadelphia had to have a stupid parade for them. And they had to show it on tv. Which prevented me for seeing my shows that I usually watch in the day time. I hate baseball enough as it is. The Phillies makes me hate baseball even more than I already do.

Back