Pharrell Williams writes about Michael Jackson

Bonnie Blue

Proud Member
Saw this on another forum, it's an article that appeared on the internet this week from a book on rayban sunglasses, but is such a great read and a welcome diversion from the shenanigans going on in the family.

EXCLUSIVE IMAGES Ray-Ban Untold Stories: Legends

Pharrell Williams talks us through his childhood obession with Michael Jackson

938415.jpg

"The most important thing I have to say about Michael Jackson is that he was an incredibly enlightened, super-intelligent guy who changed the standard for entertainment. My first memory of him is being in front of the TV when I was a child, watching him perform. My mom didn’t have a floor model TV – we had one of the older ones that stood on a stand and I remember running as close to it as I could, totally mesmerised by him. It was the “Let’s Dance Let’s Shout” record and I was glued to the television. It was a phenomenal experience just to watch him perform. From then on, he reinvented the standard of what being an artist was about. I can’t think of anything I’d seen before that point, or that I’ve seen since for that matter, that even comes to being anything like it, musically or visually.

That said, at that age, I never thought about making music inspired by Michael. I didn’t think about making music at all. Thinking like that wasn’t an option. I was in the projects in Virginia – there was no custom of thinking like that. It wasn’t that so-and-so did something and you thought you might do it one day. At that age, in a place like that, you know what you love and what you feel an incredible relationship to. You know that you think music is magical and art is magical and movies are magical, but there isn’t much around to cultivate that magic, to make it even seem like a possibility in your own life. That was part of the amazing thing about Michael. What he did seemed impossibly magical. He was always just something completely special.

Of course, back then, I wasn’t looking at music in an objective way. It was what it was. It didn’t cross my mind to think of Michael comparatively to other artists of the time; it was just an unspoken, undisputed thing that he was inherently different, and something that you did not want to miss. He was definitely the only artist at the forefront of my attention by the time Thriller dropped in 1982, when I was nine. By the time that came out there was no doubt: you wanted to look like him, you wanted to dress like him, you wanted to be able to dance just like him. Not that he hadn’t been impressive like that before: for me, the Off the Wall look was amazing too, the suit, the bow tie and the afro. That was a great style. The point is that he always had really good style. As soon as he left the Jackson Five he was really expressing himself; going to places like Studio 54, meeting people, working to hone the details that improved him. He was studying Walt Disney, developing his love for animation, old films and interesting books, his tremendous style evolving along the way.

He definitely worked out his own vernacular in fashion. He never wore anything by mistake and was literally making a statement every time he got dressed. Could I decode it or decipher it? No, I couldn’t. The thing is, he didn’t do things on a whim. Everything he wore and everything he did was calculated – he knew the reaction he would get and was making intricate statements with it all. I couldn’t tell you what he was thinking. In this image, for example, where he’s boarding a plane in 1988, during the Bad era – which was another amazing time for his style – he’s wearing Ray-Ban Wayfarers and a military jacket. I can tell you that there would have been some complex thought behind it, and that he would have had a statement in mind, but I don’t have the audacity to try and tell you what that is. We just have to walk away knowing that he was a super iconic figure in entertainment, and one that was inimitable.

With that in mind, I can’t say that I’ve ever strived to follow his style in a literal way. I wear Ray-Ban Wayfarers too, for example, but just because of their iconic shape. They’re cool. They’re what the French would call baba-cool, a 1960s fashion term which sort of translates as bohemian. But that’s what they mean to me, not to him. He was a special guy. We were associates, we had a couple of conversations, I visited his place before and he interviewed me for Interview magazine many years back. He was the most talented, interesting, troubled and enlightened human being that I’ve ever come across and indeed been fortunate enough to experience first-hand. But he was also enigmatic. I couldn’t tell you what the sunglasses symbolised for him because he put up incredible barriers, impenetrable parameters that prevented a deeper understanding.

The thing I think I can say I do look towards, in terms of his style, is not anything literal, but just his attitude towards it. I look to his sense of fashion liberation. Michael was a man who felt free to be himself and express himself. That is a value I strive towards and that I attribute to him completely. In terms of his personal style, he has definitely done his own thing. You’ve got to know what you’re doing when you’re talking about Michael Jackson and his fashion taste and I’m not sure I measure up. I’d say I tore a page out of his book in terms of marching to the beat of your own drum, though. As much as we all feel like we’re individuals it’s very easy, when thumbing through the average magazine, to see how everybody kind of really looks like everyone else. The attitude of really defining yourself in that way is a rare thing: refusing to give in to your critics and doggedly doing your own thing, no matter what anyone says, is what it’s all about. That’s what Michael was all about and what his style was all about. It’s something I really respect."

The text and images are taken from Ray-Ban's book 'Untold Stories: Legends'
http://www.dazeddigital.com/photogr...clusive-images-ray-ban-untold-stories-legends

Last edited:
Thank you, very interesting read for sure.
Ah, the record he's talking about it's Shake your Body, right?
I was confused for a min. :laugh:

As soon as he left the Jackson Five he was really expressing himself; going to places like Studio 54, meeting people, working to hone the details that improved him. He was studying Walt Disney, developing his love for animation, old films and interesting books, his tremendous style evolving along the way.
Lovin this part the most.
I really appreciate it when fellow artists say things that's never or rarely been said about him.

That he was bringing up the transition/transformation period, the fact alone,
that he gave MJ credit for his own image&style, when some might say, it was mostly from his stylists or advisors.
Props to Pharrell for that.

0o0jackie0o0;3674261 said:
what does he mean 'Michael interviewed me for Interview magazine?' hmmm. And is this post June 25?
Thanks for posting

It was an article that appeared on the internet this week, it's apparently in a book on raybans (i'll reedit my op post). I don't know anything about an interview mj did with pharrell.

The thing is, he didn’t do things on a whim. Everything he wore and everything he did was calculated – he knew the reaction he would get and was making intricate statements with it all. I couldn’t tell you what he was thinking. In this image, for example, where he’s boarding a plane in 1988, during the Bad era – which was another amazing time for his style – he’s wearing Ray-Ban Wayfarers and a military jacket. I can tell you that there would have been some complex thought behind it, and that he would have had a statement in mind, but I don’t have the audacity to try and tell you what that is. We just have to walk away knowing that he was a super iconic figure in entertainment, and one that was inimitable.

I really liked this observation - pharrell 'gets' mj, by realising he will never get him totally. Such a contrast to that judgemental author who wrote that book on whitney and tried to read all sorts of pseudy pschological stuff into mj from his birthday present of a pet monkey to whitney.

The interview MJ did to Pharrell is at the bottom of this page.

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/michael-jackson/#page2

This interview, which took place in early June 2003, actually came about as the magazine was planning a piece on Pharrell Williams, who at the time was an upstart producer from Virginia. As the editors were arranging the story with Williams, he casually mentioned that he’d always wanted to speak to Jackson, who had been in the news after appearing in British journalist Martin Bashir’s infamous television documentary, Living with Michael Jackson, which portrayed the singer at his most bizarre. A complex chain of e-mails and phone calls ensued, messages were passed, reputations were vouched for, and a few days later, Jackson’s office called to say that he would do the interview.

MICHAEL JACKSON: So, I’m interviewing you, right? And I think it’s seven questions, or something like that?

PHARRELL WILLIAMS: Sure. Whatever you like.

JACKSON: Okay. What would you say inspires you in your music? What is it that inspires you to create your music?

WILLIAMS: It’s a feeling. You treat the air as a canvas and the paint is the chords that come through your fingers, out of the keyboard. So when I’m playing, I’m sort of painting a feeling in the air. I know that might sound corny, but—

JACKSON: No. No, that’s a perfect analogy.

WILLIAMS: And when you know it’s done, you know it’s done. It’s like painting or sculpting. When you let it go it’s because you know that it’s finished. It’s completed. And vice versa—it tells you, “Hey, I’m not done.”

JACKSON: Yeah. And it refuses to let you sleep until it’s finished.

WILLIAMS: That’s right.

JACKSON: Yeah, I go through the same thing. [laughs] And what do you think of the music today—are you into the new sounds that are being created and the direction that music is going?

WILLIAMS: Well, personally, I kind of feel like I’m taking notes from people like yourself and Stevie [Wonder] and Donny [Hathaway], and just sort of doing what feels right.

JACKSON: Right.

WILLIAMS: You know, like when everyone was going one way, you went Off the Wall.

JACKSON: Right. [laughs]

WILLIAMS: And when everyone else was going another way, you went Thriller. You just did it your way. And I’m taking notes from people like yourself, like not being afraid to listen to your feelings and turn your aspirations and ambitions into material. Making it happen, making it materialize . . .

JACKSON: Who are some of the older artists—not the artists on the radio today—who inspired you when you were younger? Like the artists your father listened to, did you learn anything from those artists?

WILLIAMS: Absolutely. The Isley Brothers.

JACKSON: Yeah, me too. I love the Isley Brothers. And I love Sly and the Family Stone.

WILLIAMS: Donny, Stevie.

JACKSON: You like all the people I like. [laughs]

WILLIAMS: Those chord changes. They take you away.

JACKSON: Beautiful, beautiful. Okay, well, where are you? In New York?

WILLIAMS: I’m in Virginia Beach, Virginia, sir.

JACKSON: Virginia! Oh, beautiful. Will you give my love to Virginia?

WILLIAMS: Yes. Thank you.

JACKSON: And your mother and your parents? Because God has blessed you with special gifts.

WILLIAMS: Thank you, sir. And I just want to say something, and I don’t know if you want to hear this, but I just have to say it because it’s on my heart. But people bother you—

JACKSON: Yeah.

WILLIAMS: Because they love you. That’s the only reason why. When you do something that people don’t necessarily understand, they’re going to make it into a bigger problem than they would for anybody else because you’re one of the most amazing talents that’s ever lived. You’ve accomplished and achieved more in this century than most any other men.

JACKSON: Well, thank you very much. That’s very kind of you.

WILLIAMS: What you do is so amazing. When you are 100 years old, and they’re still making up things about what you’ve done to this and what you’ve done to that on your body—please believe me, if you decided you wanted to dip your whole body in chrome, you are so amazing that the world, no matter what they say, is going to be right there to see it. And that is because of what you have achieved in the music world, and in changing people’s lives. People are having children to your songs. You’ve affected the world.

JACKSON: Thank you very much. It’s like the bigger the star, the bigger the target. You know when you’re—and I’m not being a braggadocio or anything like that—but you know you’re on top when they start throwing arrows at you. Even Jesus was crucified. People who bring light to the world, from Mahatma Gandhi to Martin Luther King to Jesus Christ, even myself. And my motto has been Heal the World, We are the World, Earth Song, Save Our Children, Help Our Planet. And people want to persecute me for it, but it never hurts, because the fan base becomes stronger. Andthe more you hit something hard, the more hardened it becomes—the stronger it becomes. And that’s what’s happened: I’m resilient. I have rhinoceros skin. Nothing can hurt me. Nothing.

WILLIAMS: That’s precisely my point. I just want to let you know you’re amazing, man. What you do to music, what you’ve done to music, from “Billie Jean” to “That’s What You Get (For Being Polite)”—[sings]“That’s what you get for being polite.”

JACKSON: Oh, you know that one? [laughs]

WILLIAMS: [sings] “Jack still sits all alone.”

JACKSON: Boy, you know all those ones . . . [hums a guitar riff]

WILLIAMS: If I never work with you, just know that you are unstoppable. That’s why I said, when you’re 100 years old and you decide to dip your entire body in chrome, as much as they say things—and I don’t care what they say about you, sir—they’re going to be right there to see it.

JACKSON: There’s a lot of jealousy there. I love all races, I love all people, but sometimes there’s a devil in people, and they get jealous. Every time there’s a luminary that goes beyond the heights of his field of endeavor, people tend to get jealous and try to bring him down. But they can’t with me because I’m very, very, very strong. [laughs] They don’t know that, though.

WILLIAMS: They know! Please believe me, they know!

JACKSON: Anybody else would’ve cracked by now; they can’t crack me. I’m very strong.

WILLIAMS: Of course. They couldn’t crack you when you were 10, because you were destroying grown men doing what you did with your voice and your talent. And when you were 20, you were outdoing people that had been doing it for 20 or 30 years. And nowadays they’re still waiting to see where you’re at. They want to see your kids, they want to see your world. You’re amazing, and I just wanted to tell you that, man. And I hope that this all gets printed because it’s very important to me. I hope that I can be half as dope as you one day.

JACKSON: Oh, God bless you. You’re wonderful, too . . . Have a lovely day.

WILLIAMS: You too, sir.

JACKSON: Thank you. Bye.

WILLIAMS: Bye.

^Thanks for posting, what a great read, pharrell just seems so totally on mj's wavelength. The last bit is really tough going when mj is talking about how strong he is and they can't bring him down, and you look at the date of the interview.

A wonderful interview. Thank u for posting that.

Boy do I miss Michael. There's no one else like him.

A wonderful interview. Thank u for posting that.

Boy do I miss Michael. There's no one else like him.

Yeah, no one else in this planet will ever be like Michael. He was so special and unique, I love the way Pharrell expressed that in both the article and interview. I miss him so much too.

I enjoyed that so much. It put a smile on my face. Thank you for posting.
Miss you Michael.

The interview was great to read but it kinda makes me feel sad about Mike being gone again :(

Whatta mighty interestin' read.....i find it peculiar how truly revealing stuff sleeps under the radar of most, while utter crap gets disected to the n[SUP]th[/SUP] degree. Although still very much a girl preocupied with the vain facets of life such as make-up, clothes and most especially reaaally high heels and what they can do to men, i do tend to favor substance over style. That is why i found most of Pharrell's analysis of Michael's sense of style very useful, but his hints about Michael's sense of mystery far more intriguing.

Let me try and be a bit deliberate and organized and take things chronologically though – the 2003 interview, exercise during which Michael had the simple task of asking 7 questions of Pharrell, task at which he failed almost miserably lol. Thank goodness he stuck to the arts and never pursued journalism as a profession cause he would've made a lousy reporter. All he did was ask two bland, basic questions about inspiration and the state of music at that point and Pharrell's location. Most of the interview proved to be more an alibi for Pharrell to shower Michael with praises and Mike be gracious about it all. Leavin' jokes aside, there were some very interesting things in there though, words like these...

JACKSON:...Every time there’s a luminary that goes beyond the heights of his field of endeavor, people tend to get jealous and try to bring him down. But they can’t with me because I’m very, very, very strong. [laughs] They don’t know that, though.

WILLIAMS: They know! Please believe me, they know!

JACKSON: Anybody else would’ve cracked by now; they can’t crack me. I’m very strong.

And my motto has been Heal the World, We are the World, Earth Song, Save Our Children, Help Our Planet. And people want to persecute me for it, but it never hurts, because the fan base becomes stronger. And the more you hit something hard, the more hardened it becomes—the stronger it becomes. And that’s what’s happened: I’m resilient. I have rhinoceros skin. Nothing can hurt me. Nothing.

Time unfortunately proved Michael wrong. If in June 2003 he could've rightfully claimed those things, we now know he wasn't anywhere near as strong as he might have thought or would have liked to be. Although not instantly, the trial that followed obviously took its toll on the man and the story goes he died a lonely, troubled man, addicted to all kind of substances finding in death the peace and the rest he couldn't find in life, leaving behind three orphaned children and a half a billion $ debt. According to reports - a sad tale with a tragic, but supposedly predictable ending unworthy of the superhero he was on stage.

Don't know if necessarily stronger, but the fan base has certainly become larger in the meantime. There are now far more people out there claiming to love Michael and his music than at any point in the last 19 years. Oh, but what a price to be payed for it, what a terrible price.....

Travelin' back to the present let me now turn to the modern-day Pharrell accounts.

He never wore anything by mistake and was literally making a statement every time he got dressed. Could I decode it or decipher it? No, I couldn’t. The thing is, he didn’t do things on a whim. Everything he wore and everything he did was calculated – he knew the reaction he would get and was making intricate statements with it all. I couldn’t tell you what he was thinking.

But he was also enigmatic. I couldn’t tell you what the sunglasses symbolised for him because he put up incredible barriers, impenetrable parameters that prevented a deeper understanding.

With the risk of soundin' like an untrained and unskilled shrink i can't help but wonder what was behind those 'incredible barriers' Pharrell mentioned. I really have to wonder if there ever was a human being capable of going beyond them and able to cope with what was there.

Considering Michael's life and the various attempts at destroying his integrity, undermining his achievements and threatening his very life and freedom is it any wonder the man felt the need to build up huge walls to protect the deepest part of his soul? Not for me.

I have this terrifying equation in my mind:

the most famous man in the world/ the world's greatest entertainer X the most heinous accusation possible X decades of torture = unspeakable and unimaginable suffering

He was terribly accurate in that spoken intro to I just can't stop loving youa lot of people misunderstand me, that's because they don't know me at all. And those folks, might very well be the most important words in that song and some of the wisest Michael ever uttered or recorded.

We all have bits and pieces of our character (both good and bad) known only to God and it should be that way, but deep down we all wish to be understood and loved, however partially and imperfectly by the people in our lives – parents, children, spouses in the case of most, fans and the entire planet for people like Michael.

How did he plead in Childhood? Before you judge me, try hard to love me. People didn't even bother understand Michael, let alone love him. Too bad they never really showed him the consideration to actually listen to his message and what he was trying to do.

On the other hand, it is also a complete shame he was so bullied and scared of people he didn't open occasional gates and temporary windows into his walls. That way people might have actually come to realize in time he was neither the dumb wacko they called him for so long nor the criminal the media made him out to be. And even though they shouldn't and couldn't have possibly known him very well, they would've at least got to know him a bit, which is much better than not knowing him at all.

None of that matters now with Michael being gone, but maybe next time a global symbol gets created only to be taken down by ignorance and avarice, people will actually pay more attention and treat them more kindly. One can only hope, however naïve that hope might be.

No matter how Michael's story ended, what matters is how it unfolded.

But there isn’t much around to cultivate that magic, to make it even seem like a possibility in your own life. That was part of the amazing thing about Michael. What he did seemed impossibly magical. He was always just something completely special.

He was indeed completely special in more ways than anybody could possible imagine. But since appearances can be deceiving, what Michael did might have seemed impossible, but it wasn't.

Refusing to give in to your critics and doggedly doing your own thing, no matter what anyone says, is what it’s all about.

And i completely and totally agree with my glue-lovin' friend Pharrell – standing your ground is what IT's ALL about.

P.S. I do have to slightly disagree with my friend Pharrell on this: "As much as we all feel like we’re individuals it’s very easy, when thumbing through the average magazine, to see how everybody kind of really looks like everyone else. The attitude of really defining yourself in that way is a rare thing". Being an individual and marchin' to the beat of your own drum is very cool, but at times it is sooo much more convenient and strategically important to just blend in with the crowd and not stand out; in great battles the art of disguise and camouflage can be a hugely important asset ;)

Back