Pharrell Williams on Stern Show (mentions of MJ, Janet, Justin, Madonna)

AtlasAir

Proud Member
Pharrell Williams stopped by the Howard Stern Show this week and did a great interview.

Some of this stuff we knew already, but it was interesting to hear him speak about the songs he sent to MJ and meeting with him in person.

Also, who knew Britney Spears SLAVE 4 U was intended for Janet?

Snippets here:

Sounds like MJ just thought the songs sent to him sounded too much like past work, so I totally get why he wasn't really interested in a Rock Your Body or something.
I still think Like I Love You or Ushers U Don't Have To Call would have been excellent MJ songs.

Slave 4 You would have been insane for Janet. (i love her

Here's that piece Pharrell mentions where MJ interviewed him for Interview Magazine in 2003. I was curious to see what that was all about.

Here:

This interview, which took place in early June 2003, actually came about as the magazine was planning a piece on Pharrell Williams, who at the time was an upstart producer from Virginia. As the editors were arranging the story with Williams, he casually mentioned that he’d always wanted to speak to Michael Jackson, who had been in the news after appearing in British journalist Martin Bashir’s infamous television documentary, Living With Michael Jackson, which portrayed the singer at his most bizarre. A complex chain of e-mails and phone calls ensued, messages were passed, reputations were vouched for, and a few days later, Jackson’s office called to say that he would do the interview. You can tell by the art Pharrell was talking that he was very emotional to talk to Michael.

MICHAEL JACKSON: So, I’m interviewing you, right? And I think it’s seven questions, or something like that?
PHARRELL WILLIAMS: Sure. Whatever you like.

JACKSON: Okay. What would you say inspires you in your music? What is it that inspires you to create your music?
WILLIAMS: It’s a feeling. You treat the air as a canvas and the paint is the chords that come through your fingers, out of the keyboard. So when I’m playing, I’m sort of painting a feeling in the air. I know that might sound corny, but—

JACKSON: No. No, that’s a perfect analogy.
WILLIAMS: And when you know it’s done, you know it’s done. It’s like painting or sculpting. When you let it go it’s because you know that it’s finished. It’s completed. And vice versa—it tells you, “Hey, I’m not done.”

JACKSON: Yeah. And it refuses to let you sleep until it’s finished.
WILLIAMS: That’s right.

JACKSON: Yeah, I go through the same thing. [laughs] And what do you think of the music today—are you into the new sounds that are being created and the direction that music is going?
WILLIAMS: Well, personally, I kind of feel like I’m taking notes from people like yourself and Stevie [Wonder] and Donny [Hathaway], and just sort of doing what feels right.

JACKSON: Right.
WILLIAMS: You know, like when everyone was going one way, you went Off the Wall.

JACKSON: Right. [laughs]
WILLIAMS: And when everyone else was going another way, you went Thriller. You just did it your way. And I’m taking notes from people like yourself, like not being afraid to listen to your feelings and turn your aspirations and ambitions into material. Making it happen, making it materialize…

JACKSON: Who are some of the older artists—not the artists on the radio today—who inspired you when you were younger? Like the artists your father listened to, did you learn anything from those artists?
WILLIAMS: Absolutely. The Isley Brothers.

JACKSON: Yeah, me too. I love the Isley Brothers. And I love Sly and the Family Stone.
WILLIAMS: Donny, Stevie.

JACKSON: You like all the people I like. [laughs]
WILLIAMS: Those chord changes. They take you away.

JACKSON: Beautiful, beautiful. Okay, well, where are you? In New York?
WILLIAMS: I’m in Virginia Beach, Virginia, sir.

JACKSON: Virginia! Oh, beautiful. Will you give my love to Virginia?
WILLIAMS: Yes. Thank you.

JACKSON: And your mother and your parents? Because God has blessed you with special gifts.
WILLIAMS: Thank you, sir. And I just want to say something, and I don’t know if you want to hear this, but I just have to say it because it’s on my heart. But people bother you—

JACKSON: Yeah.
WILLIAMS: Because they love you. That’s the only reason why. When you do something that people don’t necessarily understand, they’re going to make it into a bigger problem than they would for anybody else because you’re one of the most amazing talents that’s ever lived. You’ve accomplished and achieved more in this century than most any other men.

JACKSON: Well, thank you very much. That’s very kind of you.
WILLIAMS: What you do is so amazing. When you are 100 years old, and they’re still making up things about what you’ve done to this and what you’ve done to that on your body—please believe me, if you decided you wanted to dip your whole body in chrome, you are so amazing that the world, no matter what they say, is going to be right there to see it. And that is because of what you have achieved in the music world, and in changing people’s lives. People are having children to your songs. You’ve affected the world.

JACKSON: Thank you very much. It’s like the bigger the star, the bigger the target. You know when you’re—and I’m not being a braggadocio or anything like that—but you know you’re on top when they start throwing arrows at you. Even Jesus was crucified. People who bring light to the world, from Mahatma Gandhi to Martin Luther King to Jesus Christ, even myself. And my motto has been Heal the World, We are the World, Earth Song, Save Our Children, Help Our Planet. And people want to persecute me for it, but it never hurts, because the fan base becomes stronger. And the more you hit something hard, the more hardened it becomes—the stronger it becomes. And that’s what’s happened: I’m resilient. I have rhinoceros skin. Nothing can hurt me. Nothing.
WILLIAMS: That’s precisely my point. I just want to let you know you’re amazing, man. What you do to music, what you’ve done to music, from “Billie Jean” to “That’s What You Get (For Being Polite)”—[sings]“That’s what you get for being polite.”

JACKSON: Oh, you know that one? [laughs]
WILLIAMS: [sings] “Jack still sits all alone.”

JACKSON: Boy, you know all those ones . . . [hums a guitar riff]
WILLIAMS: If I never work with you, just know that you are unstoppable. That’s why I said, when you’re 100 years old and you decide to dip your entire body in chrome, as much as they say things—and I don’t care what they say about you, sir—they’re going to be right there to see it.

JACKSON: There’s a lot of jealousy there. I love all races, I love all people, but sometimes there’s a devil in people, and they get jealous. Every time there’s a luminary that goes beyond the heights of his field of endeavor, people tend to get jealous and try to bring him down. But they can’t with me because I’m very, very, very strong. [laughs] They don’t know that, though.
WILLIAMS: They know! Please believe me, they know!

JACKSON: Anybody else would’ve cracked by now; they can’t crack me. I’m very strong.
WILLIAMS: Of course. They couldn’t crack you when you were 10, because you were destroying grown men doing what you did with your voice and your talent. And when you were 20, you were outdoing people that had been doing it for 20 or 30 years. And nowadays they’re still waiting to see where you’re at. They want to see your kids, they want to see your world. You’re amazing, and I just wanted to tell you that, man. And I hope that this all gets printed because it’s very important to me. I hope that I can be half as dope as you one day.

JACKSON: Oh, God bless you. You’re wonderful, too . . . Have a lovely day.
WILLIAMS: You too, sir.

JACKSON: Thank you. Bye.
WILLIAMS: Bye.

Great interview from Pharrell! That jerk Stern (I've never liked him) made it seem Michael committed a huge mistake turning those 8 songs down because JT was successful (which I don't get because those sounded like Michael's past works) but he knew what he was doing, the songs weren't innovative for his standards.

Slave For U wouldn't had made sense/a shocker for Janet since she had been doing sexual songs since the early 90's.

Loved this interview (even though it was on Howard Stern) and love Pharrell. I had heard that story about Michael singing all of those songs back to him, but it was exciting to hear him tell the story himself. I wish I had been a fly on the wall for that "session." Michael is always so sweet and flattering to people-no matter who tells the story-imagine hearing him sing your own songs back to you, every single lyric, knowing that he likes them that much.

I love Sterns show. One of the greatest broadcasters ever and an excellent interviewer.
It's unfortunate most people think his show is just strippers and fart jokes. It really isn't.
But anyways, I didn't want this to be a Stern thread :)

And from an outsiders view looking in, it would seem like it was a mis-step to not do those songs just in terms of being a hit song.

But of course the fandom would see why.

Oh, also, in the full interview, he says that HAPPY was intended for Cee Lo and was recorded, but his label didn't like the song or something. Pharrell even says Cee Lo's version is 10 times better than his.

Pharrell is so humble-and kind too. I love that, but it's rare. Bruno Mars is an exception as well. Thank you so much for posting this.

More than an interview I felt it was more a conversation they had. How cute of Michael though and lucky Pharrell! :girl_aww:

Howard Stern has been a jerk towards Michael and other good people in the past, that's why I don't like him.

Last edited:
oh that was such a wonderful interview where michael was interviewing pharrell. i loved that so much. as for the interview with stern. I didn't watch it yet. I dont want to hear howard and his stupid jabs at michael. can anyone tell exactly what pharrell said? I would love to know what he said.

Thanks for that written interview between Michael an Pharrel. It was beautiful and you could see that Pharrel really wanted to say those supportive words to him.

I did not look at the Stern video. I used to listen to Stern in the 80s and wondered why certain people of certain cultural backgrounds he would talk about with such disdain, especially if these people had power/fame/money, like tv hosts, athletes, singers. In fact his content had a lot of humor at the expense of the non-White American cultural groups. At first I thought he was just being funny, but then I noticed he continued the pattern for all these particular people. He talked about his kids school and said if there was a hint of Black in the school he would take---and did not finish his sentence. However, the listener knew exactly what he was going to say. After I realized that he seemed to believe what he was saying about particular people, I said bye to Stern. I feel he ridicules certain segments of the population but does it in covert ways. His funny parts are funny, but there is an underlying hate for certain people underneath the funniness. It is all these things that made all the major advertisers like Coke not sponser his show. He had to do ads for other types of products like Snapple.

I don't know if his routine has changed since then. Hopefully it did. He has a great following, especially among males.

oh that was such a wonderful interview where michael was interviewing pharrell. i loved that so much. as for the interview with stern. I didn't watch it yet. I dont want to hear howard and his stupid jabs at michael. can anyone tell exactly what pharrell said? I would love to know what he said.

I did not look at the Stern video.

ugh. he didn't take any jabs at him. just click play. jebus :D

The whopping 10 minute clip is excerpts from the over hour long interview.

Last edited:
Thanks for that written interview between Michael an Pharrel. It was beautiful and you could see that Pharrel really wanted to say those supportive words to him.

I did not look at the Stern video. I used to listen to Stern in the 80s and wondered why certain people of certain cultural backgrounds he would talk about with such disdain, especially if these people had power/fame/money, like tv hosts, athletes, singers. In fact his content had a lot of humor at the expense of the non-White American cultural groups. At first I thought he was just being funny, but then I noticed he continued the pattern for all these particular people. He talked about his kids school and said if there was a hint of Black in the school he would take---and did not finish his sentence. However, the listener knew exactly what he was going to say. After I realized that he seemed to believe what he was saying about particular people, I said bye to Stern. I feel he ridicules certain segments of the population but does it in covert ways. His funny parts are funny, but there is an underlying hate for certain people underneath the funniness. It is all these things that made all the major advertisers like Coke not sponser his show. He had to do ads for other types of products like Snapple.

I don't know if his routine has changed since then. Hopefully it did. He has a great following, especially among males.

Stern is not racist. He never was. He's also very pro gay rights, as well. Whenever he gets into a political or social topic on the show, he's always spot on with his views at all the nudnicks in the world.

He always talks about when he was going to school, he went to a predominantly black school and was often beat up/taunted by other black students. That's not being racist. That's his life experience. And do you actually believe he would take his kids out of school because of blacks? o_O

And he has a huge audience of male and female listeners as well as big sponsors over the years.
He didn't get a big satellite radio contract for nothing. He has a massive audience that changed satellite radio and left a big void in terrestrial radio.
I don't know why you even bring up Coke. Big corporations like that don't touch anything remotely edgy.

He doesn't ridicule certain segments of people. He ridicules and praises everyone. Everyone is fair game.
He's not always said the best things of Michaels personal life, but IDGAF. He has always acknowledged his tremendous talent, though.

But of course, you don't know any of that because you occasionally listened in the 80s...

I didn't wanna go into stern, but when I read uninformed stuff like this, it annoys me.

I say all this with peace and love, peace AND LOVE! :)

/radnom rant

Last edited:
I'm signing on to say that I have Rarely listened to Howard Stern because of the vulgar reputation. And I've heard some of the disgusting things he has said about Michael. BUT this interview was great. He was very respectful and VERY well researched. I like the one he did with Lady Gaga as well when she talked about Michael. You all should listen to this. It's very good.

Your rant was hard to read, you know...

I admit Stern didn't mock Michael that time but it was annoying and pretencious of him thinking Michael was wrong turning those songs dowm.

^^Let's just say I do not agree with you about Stern from listening to him back in the day. You will not be able to convince me otherwise with the statements above. I listened to stern every morning beginning in the 80s for some months so there is no need to say I listened occasionally. I don't want to derail your thread so I will not go into the extensive depth of the bigoted, racist content and ideas of Stern's shows during that time. Further, simply because people act politically correct now due to laws & pressures and side with gay issues it does not mean they are not bigots. You mention satellite--Stern went to satellite because he was getting a lot of pressure on radio from the government agency that regulated content on broadcast. Before that he used to threaten the agents on his radio show, but do it in covert ways about exposing certain behaviors about particular agents. Yes he had a big following because people like to listen to jokes with racy content--no one is downplaying his popularity. However, I am not equating popularity with wholesomeness. Sure it is ok to enjoy and like this guy and his show, but to make claims to show that he is this nonracist guy is ridiculous. Also I am not uninformed as you claim, but only not accepting your argument. In fact, that period of my life when I listened to Stern I see as one of my lowest moments as a human. The only excuse I have is that at first I was thinking maybe he was doing this with everyone, just as you think. However, eventually you begin to see the pattern and realize he takes his jabs at certain people. That is why he targets Michael who he always claim is a homosexual, but he does not say so in a loving way, but then you say he is pro gay rights. It is all a cover. If he is pro-gay rights why does he bother so much about Michael being a homosexual.

I know all about the Black school, in fact he talked about it hundreds of times when I listened to him. It is that experience that makes him hate African-Americans and don't want his children to go to school where such people are. He was beaten by the kids because King had just died so the kids took out a lot of anger on this one White guy in the class. I understand his pain. However, rather than deal with this in therapy he then begins to attack many successful people of African decent in his content. He did the same with Asians and Hispanics talking about how White hair is nice and Purtorican is frizzy. I mean I have too much to say on this, but it is ok if you enjoy him.

If he has changed his ways then good for him and I hope he continues.

^^Let's just say I do not agree with you about Stern from listening to him back in the day. You will not be able to convince me otherwise with the statements above. I listened to stern every morning beginning in the 80s for some months so there is no need to say I listened occasionally. I don't want to derail your thread so I will not go into the extensive depth of the bigoted, racist content and ideas of Stern's shows during that time. Further, simply because people act politically correct now due to laws & pressures and side with gay issues it does not mean they are not bigots. You mention satellite--Stern went to satellite because he was getting a lot of pressure on radio from the government agency that regulated content on broadcast. Before that he used to threaten the agents on his radio show, but do it in covert ways about exposing certain behaviors about particular agents. Yes he had a big following because people like to listen to jokes with racy content--no one is downplaying his popularity. However, I am not equating popularity with wholesomeness. Sure it is ok to enjoy and like this guy and his show, but to make claims to show that he is this nonracist guy is ridiculous. Also I am not uninformed as you claim, but only not accepting your argument. In fact, that period of my life when I listened to Stern I see as one of my lowest moments as a human. The only excuse I have is that at first I was thinking maybe he was doing this with everyone, just as you think. However, eventually you begin to see the pattern and realize he takes his jabs at certain people. That is why he targets Michael who he always claim is a homosexual, but he does not say so in a loving way, but then you say he is pro gay rights. It is all a cover. If he is pro-gay rights why does he bother so much about Michael being a homosexual.

I know all about the Black school, in fact he talked about it hundreds of times when I listened to him. It is that experience that makes him hate African-Americans and don't want his children to go to school where such people are. He was beaten by the kids because King had just died so the kids took out a lot of anger on this one White guy in the class. I understand his pain. However, rather than deal with this in therapy he then begins to attack many successful people of African decent in his content. He did the same with Asians and Hispanics talking about how White hair is nice and Purtorican is frizzy. I mean I have too much to say on this, but it is ok if you enjoy him.

If he has changed his ways then good for him and I hope he continues.

*face palm gif*

I'm laughing at how utterly wrong you are about how he is racist. It's bizarre and hilarious at the same time that you feel that way. If you have listened to him within the last 20+ years alone at least, you'd know that he's not a racist in more ways than one.
Over the years, he does admit he's done a lot of weird stuff in the past (not necessarily about his comedic bits or things he've said) but in general. He's a much different person.

And I have to laugh that you actually think he made sure he didn't have his kids in a school with blacks. Really? Really? You believe that? lawd.

And you're actually comparing the crap that gay people in the world have to deal with to the times he said MJ is probably gay? Really? wtf is that about? There is no comparison between the 2 issues.
There is no cover up. For YEARS now, he's been one of the most vocal people with a degree of fame to speak in favor of gay marriage, gay rights, adoptions, being pro-choice, and so on. And I'm sure those opinions coming from HIM to his audience has surely impacted a lot of people out there who respect his opinion.
But you believe it's all a cover up because he said MJ might be gay? GREAT argument there -_-
People can think someone is gay and NOT be homophobic.

And you say that listening to his show was the lowest thing you've ever done? Really? You've not done anything lower than listening to a radio show? Ok, then you must be a saint amongst the rest of us and I bow at your flawless life. Is there a ring I can kiss or something?

Again, peace and love. This isn't me yelling at you. Just pointing out that you're clearly out of the loop on him.

I wonder why janet turned down the slave for u song. janet LOVED singing about sex.lol.

That was her ALL FOR YOU era when she was still working exclusively with Jimmy Jam and Terrry Lewis. Maybe that might have been part of it, too.

But Pharrell ultimately did work together later for "FEEL IT BOY" by Beenie Man feat. Janet.

Stern has always been a **hole to MJ, I would never try to defend him over that. I can live with a lot of type of jokes about MJ but making pedo "jokes" about him is not one of the things I'm going to give a pass on to anyone. Those allegations contributed to Michael's suffering a LOT and they have eventually probably contributed to his death, so I cannot take that lightly, just because he acknowledged his talent. And Stern's a disgusting idiot, anyway.

Last edited:
That was her ALL FOR YOU era when she was still working exclusively with Jimmy Jam and Terrry Lewis. Maybe that might have been part of it, too.

But Pharrell ultimately did work together later for "FEEL IT BOY" by Beenie Man feat. Janet.
great point, your probably right on this.

Hey what it is ? I just saw Pharell talk about his phone call with MJ on Kimmel's show. It takes him ages to get to actual call so do not stop your workout for that. It's a little funny though, if you have time. I do not know if I should post the video, maybe Atlas will think I'm derailing the thread. Anyway, it's on youtube *Bill Burr's high-pitched voice* if you want to seeeee ate.

Last edited:
Oh no, I wouldn't care. This thing got derailed a while ago :D
I just had to point out some nonsense.

lool bill burr

Stern has always been a **hole to MJ, I would never try to defend him over that. I can live with a lot of type of jokes about MJ but making pedo "jokes" about him is not one of the things I'm going to give a pass on to anyone. Those allegations contributed to Michael's suffering a LOT and they have eventually probably contributed to his death, so I cannot take that lightly, just because he
acknowledged his talent. And Stern's a disgusting idiot, anyway.

People who make pedo jokes are sick in the head. Laughing at the idea of somebody molesting children is disgusting

Back