Pharrell talks about recording some tracks for MJ (Cute story)

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Pharrell On Justin Timberlake, Recording Michael Jackson Tracks, & His Global Hits (VIDEO)

First Posted: 11/16/11 06:18 PM ET Updated: 11/17/11 01:46 PM ET

Williams' consistent track record of smash hits was just one of the topics discussed in HuffPost Black Voices latest episode of "The Tanning Effect." The "Rump Shaker" producer opened up on trying to convince Michael Jackson's manager to use a selection of beats tailored specifically for the "King of Pop." According to Williams, the late singer preferred a sound similar to the producer's 1998 hit Noreaga song, "Superthug."

"I have been telling him, 'Yo, I got these Michael records [that I did for Michael].' And I'll never forget Michael's manager saying, 'Yo, Michael wants some "Superthug!"' And I was like, 'What?'" the producer-singer recalled. "I remember being so baffled and so crushed, 'cause he still is my idol."

When the initial tracks produced for Jackson were scrapped, Williams sought out Justin Timberlake, who was working with the Neptunes on his debut album, Justified. The songs went on to commercial success, not to mention eliciting a phone call from Jackson.

"Funny story is, when we were working on it, Michael called ... he just called me and he was eating popcorn in my ear [over the phone] and he was like, 'Oh, so you're working with Justin, how's it going?' And you know, it was Michael's voice...it wasn't the high pitched [voice] that everyone else knew. And he's just eating the popcorn or whatever. And I remember just thinking to myself, 'Man, I wish Michael could hear these songs,'" he said (see video 2, 3:00).

"And later on, after those songs came out and they were really huge thanks to Justin's talent and what he had to offer, I'll never forget the day that me and Michael met up. And he sang me those songs, sounding like Justin. And he said, 'You should've gave those songs to me.'"

Thank you for posting this!
I swear I've been saying for so long how i'd wish Michael would've worked with Pharrel & Chad and to hear Michael's anwser in the last bit for some reason finally anwsered my question.
(I even made a thread about it at some point in the Michaelmania section lol)
I'm also a big Neptunes/ Nerd fan and imo almost all of their songs after all these years still sound fresh. I really think if they would have come up with some things together it could have been amazing.
Pharrell is a big MJ fan too.

Sweet. :wub:

Pharrell On Justin Timberlake, Recording Michael Jackson Tracks, & His Global Hits (VIDEO)

he just called me and he was eating popcorn in my ear [over the phone] and he was like, 'Oh, so you're working with Justin, how's it going?' And you know, it was Michael's voice...it wasn't the high pitched [voice] that everyone else knew. And he's just eating the popcorn or whatever.
First Posted: 11/16/11 06:18 PM ET Updated: 11/17/11 01:46 PM ET

:heart:

What were the names of the songs that Pharell wrote for Michael and gave to Justin? I'd like to hear them.

thanks for sharing hahaha Michael always cracks me up. hahaha

I am confused. He had songs for Michael and his manager said no or he had different songs for Michael but Michael wanted something else?

marebear;3540221 said:
I am confused. He had songs for Michael and his manager said no or he had different songs for Michael but Michael wanted something else?

I DON’T KNOW
One of two songs written for Michael by Pharrell Williams, and
recorded by Usher for his 2001 album, 8701.

LAST NIGHT
One of several songs written by Pharrell Williams and submitted for
Michael’s HISTORY and INVINCIBLE albums, which were later
recorded by Justin Timberlake, for his debut album JUSTIFIED,
released in 2002.

LET’S TAKE A RIDE
released in 2002.

NOTHIN’ ELSE
released in 2002.

SEÑORITA
released in 2002.

TAKE IT FROM HERE
released in 2002.

U DON’T HAVE TO CALL
One of two songs written for Michael by Pharrell Williams, but
recorded by Usher for his 2001 album, 8701.

WHAT’S A GUY GOTTA DO
Song written by Pharrell Williams in 2000, for Michael’s album,
INVINCIBLE, but failed to make the final selection – remains
unreleased.
‘Meeting Michael Jackson has been the best moment of all this,’ said
Williams. ‘He said that song I made for him, What’s A Guy Gotta Do,
was alright. He said he liked it, but in the end it wasn’t right for him.’

LIKE I LOVE YOU
Song written for Michael by the Neptunes, for his INVINCIBLE album,
but he didn’t like the hook so rejected it.
Recorded by Justin Timberlake for his debut album, JUSTIFIED –
single charted at no.2 in the UK and no.11 on the Hot 100 in the States
in 2002.

Rock Your Body
The beat was intended for Michael Jackson's 2001 album Invincible, but The Neptunes ended up selling the track to Timberlake instead.

Last Night & Take It From Here were the first songs I thought of. I love those songs, I wish Michael would've done them :(

I remember that time - 2002 - when everyone in the music press was going on about how Justin Timberlake was the "new King of Pop". I remember thinking, in your fucking dreams!

Back