Pharrell on Hanging Up On Michael Jackson/Jimmy Kimmel Show

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
LOS ANGELES) — On Wednesday night’s Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Jimmy welcomed Pharrell Williams. The award-winning producer admitted to Kimmel to being shocked by the success of his hit “Happy,” the video of which features none other than the chat show host.

Williams spent years writing and producing hits for stars like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Michael Jackson, so he explains at 41 years old, he never would have predicted he’d have a song he recorded himself sit on the top of the charts for 11 weeks.

“This is so shockingly, and overwhelmingly weird in a great way,” Williams said humbly. “Because I’ve never seen any of this coming.”

As one would imagine, somebody with Williams’ resume would have some stories to tell, and he didn’t disappoint with a story about the first time he heard from Michael Jackson. Pharrell explained he was in the studio with Justin Timberlake recording “Girlfriend” when someone told him to pick up the phone, because MJ was on the line. Williams didn’t believe that Jackson was calling him and he hung up on the king of pop, not once, but twice.

Williams told Kimmel that Jackson called back a third time and said, “Hello. How are you? It’s Michael.” Williams said, imitating both the legendary singer and the sound of crunching coming over the phone. Jackson was eating popcorn in his ear, Williams recalled, laughing, “And that’s how I knew it was him.”

[video=youtube;3ctYWNO5zSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ctYWNO5zSc[/video]

187.gif

'King of popcorn!' Pharrell Williams reveals he hung up on Michael Jackson twice during phone call with the singer after he turned down his music

The ageless singer told Kimmel his people had to force him to take the call a third time: 'So I pick up the phone and he's like ''Hello, how are you? It's Michael [crunch crunch crunch].''

'He was eating popcorn in my ear and that's when I knew it was him.

'So Justin is used to it at this point, this is Justin ''Big Pop Star'' Timberlake and I'm like, ''Dude, it's Michael on the phone and he's eating popcorn in my ear.'''

Realising he had just hung up on a legend, the Get Lucky singer tried to make things right, but to his disappointment it was Justin that Michael really wanted to talk about.

'I'm like, ''I'm such a huge fan,'' and he's like ''How's it going with Justin, is he good?'''

After Pharrell responded 'Yes sir,' the Billie Jean singer said: 'That's good, that's amazing. Cool. Well, have a good time, see you later.'
While the call may have not been about him, the hit maker could not stop smiling as he recounted the story.

'That was the king, the king eating popcorn in my ear.'

The phone call came after Micheal had turned down a number of songs of Pharrell's, who along with partner Chad Hugo was working primarily as a song writer and producer at the time.

187.gif

The first article says Williams spent years writing and producing hits for stars like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Michael Jackson,..

Which hits did he write and produce for Michael? Is this true?

I may be way off, but I wonder if michael wanted to see how justin was doing because of the whole britney heartbreak.

Back