Pepsi's two-faced "Thank you Michael" in TIME

strangerinncl

Proud Member
I just got the Time souvenir edition from WHSmith (along with 2 other tribute photobooks/magazines that have been rushed out by other publishers), and the back cover is completely black with the words:

"You will always be the King of Pop"
and then at the bottom, "Thank you Michael" is written just above the Pepsi logo.

I guess they've forgotton how they ditched him in 93.

Haha they've forgotten but MJJC never forgets
I agree- most of the media has miraculously changed their view on MJ

I don't see what's two faced about it. It's a nice gesture considering Michael worked with them for the thrillicious stuff.

Well Id rather the media be 2 faced and be nice to Michael now rather than them still continuely bash him.

I think it's nice of Pepsi to thank Michael.

Michael definitely helped Pepsi rise to the number one Cola product in the 80's and early 90's. But after they part ways with Michael, I guess they fall back.

I stopped drinking Pepsi after they dropped Michael. Still, it's nice for them to remember Michael and thank him...

most of the media has miraculously changed their view on MJ
It's really annoying isn't it?

I've been on he internet alot recently and it seems many fansites of other artists have changed their views also and most Noteably Madonna's. If you've been on Madonnanation and you'll know what I mean.
About 90% of her fans used to trash him left, right and center and now they are professing their love for him. ?
I think it's disgusting and downright hypocritical.

Man I always thought Michael was exceedingly gracious towards PepsiCo when it came to what happened at the commercial. Setting his head ablaze in an accident that could have disfigured him for life. Well, technically it did given that it triggered his vitiligo.

Man if Pepsi had done that to me, they would be paying for my cousins ex-girlfriend's next door neighbor's baby mama's tummy tuck right now. I would freakin' own PepsiCo.

Jesus Christ, Michael Jackson was a way better person than me!

I can't bring myself to watch the Pepsi Commercial with "I'll be there". It's too upsetting to watch!

x

What is the full back story with MJ and Pepsi?

Well in short, there was the pepsi commercial that burned his scalp in 1984, they settled with Michael and he created the Michael Jackson Burn Center in California, hence the hyperbaric chamber.

Then after the 93 allegations, they stopped promoting Michael on commercials and tours, the HIStory tour was the first one not sponsored by Pepsi since before the Victory Tour.

Then the Thrillicious commercial came out in 2008 which I believe was a sign of good will between the two parties.

All in all, I think it is nice that pepsi still appreciated him when he was living and ultimately in his passing.

Really how Pepsi is two-face??? I understand what they had to do after the 93 allegations was rolling out. It WAS A BUSINESS MOVE they had to take.

Pepsi`s that commercial accident made Michael a pain killer addict due to the large pain he suffered during that time.

Two faced, yes....but better late than never. Michael was a forgiving kind of guy.

WTF is the thrillicious commercial?

Yall this is gonna happen a lot so get ready. A lot of media people, with the exception of people like Diane, Nancy and Maureen Orth, are gonna change their ways with regards to Michael.

It's really annoying isn't it?

I've been on he internet alot recently and it seems many fansites of other artists have changed their views also and most Noteably Madonna's. If you've been on Madonnanation and you'll know what I mean.
About 90% of her fans used to trash him left, right and center and now they are professing their love for him. ?
I think it's disgusting and downright hypocritical.

Madonna fans mocking Michael?
Michael is a musical genius while Madonna is...hum...a popstar.

yeah madonnas had alot of luck and must have soooo much drive and determination, but she lacks talent. but she does have attitude...

anyway... i think the pepsi tribute is nice :)

Well Id rather the media be 2 faced and be nice to Michael now rather than them still continuely bash him.
Yeah, me too. I know it's hypocritcal of them all, but imagine if they'd kept on with all the crap even now. That would be worse. I also think it's a bit of "don't know what you got" syndrome. People who wanted to love him but didn't because of some kind of sick and twisted cultural pressure to hate him. :(

The media's view is whatever sells. They don't give a damn.

Back