People who REALLY know Music...come in here please!

The term is thrown around loosely. I heard someone call Alicia Keys a genius. And we wonder why public schools in America are failing. :sleep:

But to answer your question, a musical genius [insert picture of Michael here] is someone who is innovative basically. They are creating sounds and setting trends. A genius has to be daring and a risk taker. Talent is the backbone to it all.

These days the term musical genius is basically tossed around to anybody who sings and plays the piano. But when I think of musical genius I think of a person who creates a new sound, starts new trends, doesn't just do what is already out there. And most times musical geniuses are semi-appreciated when they around, but they aren't TRULY appreciated until they are no longer with us.

I think of MJ, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, etc.

These days the term musical genius is basically tossed around to anybody who sings and plays the piano. But when I think of musical genius I think of a person who creates a new sound, starts new trends, doesn't just do what is already out there. And most times musical geniuses are semi-appreciated when they around, but they aren't TRULY appreciated until they are no longer with us.

I think of MJ, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, etc.

Yeah, I think people confuse "talent" w/ "genius."

To the original poster, I think this definition is decent and just apply it to the music-field:

More than just originality, creativity, or intelligence, genius is associated with achievement of insight which has transformational power. A work of genius fundamentally alters the expectations of its audience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

way too many acts get the term

you have to set a standard based on songs, importance, talent, on stage and be seen as a standard barrier on sound and creativity where the ones that follow echo your blueprint.

it's about the songs being standards, albums being standards, tours,

very few acts ever get it right imo.

As already stated by others way to many people now get called a "Genius" true Music genuis are people like Beethoven,Mozart e.t.c. i wound't call anyone in Pop/Rock a Genius well maybe 4 or 5 people but the number is very low for that area true Musical tallent lies in the classical field IMO

Back