Penn State Univ. Dancers to Pay Tribute to Jackson

CherubimII

Proud Member

By Valerie Tkach
email.png

Posted on April 8, 2010 4:53 AM

Collegian Staff Writer

Forty-two dancers and four choreographers will bring Michael Jackson's songs to life tonight at the Pavillion Theatre.

The Penn State Dance Program collaborated with Penn State School of Theatre students for the Michael Jackson Dance Project, which opens at 6:30 tonight. The show will also be performed at 6:30 Friday night and at 2 p.m. Saturday. Spence Ford, director of the Michael Jackson Dance Project, said Assistant Professor of Dance Michele Dunleavy brought Michael Jackson's name up when they were brainstorming ideas for the dance program's spring show.

"Michael sang about a broad range of topics, from love songs and the pain of relationships, to drug use and not feeling part of society, to saving our planet," Ford said.

The show will consist of dances ranging from ballet to hip-hop to tap choreographed by Ford, Dunleavy, Elisha Clark and Kikora Franklin. The dances will focus on different topics, including global events in Haiti and personal loss. Each dance will feature an accompanying slideshow.
"I'm really excited about the tap number to 'Smooth Criminal,' which will focus on the AIDS virus," Ford said.

Each choreographer was responsible for selecting the images on the slides and for arranging the order of the performances they choreographed. The show will begin with "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" and conclude with "Man In The Mirror."

Kelly Pierson, who is performing in the show, said she is very excited to show everyone all the hard work the group has been doing these past four weeks.

"They did a really good job making sure there is both acting and dancing," Pierson (junior-elementary education) said.
Emily Mazza (sophomore-special education) said she looks forward to seeing her friends perform in the show.

And though Don Boetger (junior-accounting) has to go see the show as a requirement for his DANCE 361 class (Intermediate Modern Dance I), he is excited to see the show and hopes to hear his favorite song, "Will You Be There."

Students are encouraged to come early to get seats, and to see a pre-show of Michael Jackson's songs.
"I know everyone is going to enjoy this so much," said Ford.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/04/08/dancers_to_pay_tribute_to_jack.aspx
e-mail reporter: vwt5006@psu.edu

It's so wonderful how Michael touched people in all walks of life. Wished I could be there :)

By Valerie Tkach
email.png

Posted on April 8, 2010 4:53 AM

Collegian Staff Writer

Forty-two dancers and four choreographers will bring Michael Jackson's songs to life tonight at the Pavillion Theatre.

The Penn State Dance Program collaborated with Penn State School of Theatre students for the Michael Jackson Dance Project, which opens at 6:30 tonight. The show will also be performed at 6:30 Friday night and at 2 p.m. Saturday. Spence Ford, director of the Michael Jackson Dance Project, said Assistant Professor of Dance Michele Dunleavy brought Michael Jackson's name up when they were brainstorming ideas for the dance program's spring show.

"Michael sang about a broad range of topics, from love songs and the pain of relationships, to drug use and not feeling part of society, to saving our planet," Ford said.

The show will consist of dances ranging from ballet to hip-hop to tap choreographed by Ford, Dunleavy, Elisha Clark and Kikora Franklin. The dances will focus on different topics, including global events in Haiti and personal loss. Each dance will feature an accompanying slideshow.
"I'm really excited about the tap number to 'Smooth Criminal,' which will focus on the AIDS virus," Ford said.

Each choreographer was responsible for selecting the images on the slides and for arranging the order of the performances they choreographed. The show will begin with "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" and conclude with "Man In The Mirror."

Kelly Pierson, who is performing in the show, said she is very excited to show everyone all the hard work the group has been doing these past four weeks.

"They did a really good job making sure there is both acting and dancing," Pierson (junior-elementary education) said.
Emily Mazza (sophomore-special education) said she looks forward to seeing her friends perform in the show.

And though Don Boetger (junior-accounting) has to go see the show as a requirement for his DANCE 361 class (Intermediate Modern Dance I), he is excited to see the show and hopes to hear his favorite song, "Will You Be There."

Students are encouraged to come early to get seats, and to see a pre-show of Michael Jackson's songs.
"I know everyone is going to enjoy this so much," said Ford.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/04/08/dancers_to_pay_tribute_to_jack.aspx
e-mail reporter: vwt5006@psu.edu

:woohoo: :woohoo: Damn damn damn! If I was still a student, I would SO be there tonight!

:woohoo: This is in my state! My cousin currently attends there and a few other family members of mine have in the past. Ah, if I would have known this ahead of time I would have went to see it!! So awesome though! It touches me to see Michael's legacy growing and memory being carried on. It's great that he has such a huge impact.
I would love to this..

Back