Painter, Andrew Wyeth, and Michael Jackson

CherubimII

Proud Member
Andrew Wyeth and Michael Jackson

I have read the biography "Andrew Wyeth, a Secret Life" (Richard Meryman) three times and have revisited passages since his death at 91 this past January. While keeping an eye on CNN and Fox coverage of Michael Jackson yesterday afternoon, I remembered that the two had met in 1985 and that Meryman recounts the story in his book.

Jackson sent word to Wyeth that he wanted to have his portrait painted. When Wyeth's entourage of dealers and agents heard of the possible portrait, they were thrilled at the idea of the millions that would be made from the painting and subsequent reproductions. Andrew refers to them "like mafia" who used him for money and didn't care about him at all. And, of course, they all wanted to be photographed with Jackson who apparently had an entourage of his own.

The two artists met at the Brandywine River Museum where they looked at Andrews paintings and talked.
Andy states," I found him a very sweet, sensitive person, very nice, very intelligent."
At some point a man from Jackson's entourage marched in the stated that Michael had ten more minutes and then they were leaving.
Andy goes on to say, "We had a real thing going between us and then these shits got into it. The poor guy was owned by these people. I felt sorry for him. God help any artist that gets caught up in that."
Though he felt a real connection to Michael, Andrew bowed out of the project saying, "Imagine me painting with those guards standing there."

So, we have no amazing portrait of Michael Jackson by Andrew Wyeth, two great artists who sadly now are both gone.

Posted by Tracey Clarke
Friday, June 26, 2009

http://traceyclarke.blogspot.com/2009/06/andrew-wyeth-and-michael-jackson.html

Michael Jackson does so love what is beautiful and creative here on Earth.
I believe Mr. Wyeth is painting a portrait of Michael Jackson right now in heaven. :wub:
Here's a copy of my favorite Andrew Wyeth painting:
wyeth.jpg

Last edited:
Oh God - this post - WOW.

Andrew Wyeth??? Christina's World painting that is above is so beautiful. It says so many things - hope, despair, the struggle of attain a goal, in the most simplistic and stark fashion.[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]

[/FONT]And our Dearest Michael????

Whoa.

And in 1985, yep, I can see how MJ was "controlled" - although Michael did grasp it - then lost it, then grasped it again.

Just weird & touching.

Thank you CherubimII !!!

Andy goes on to say, "We had a real thing going between us and then these shits got into it. The poor guy was owned by these people.

If I had a dime for all those who said he was controlled by others around him, I'd be richer than he. This meeting took place in 85, 24 years ago. I have to wonder how bad did it get? I find it sad, fame seems more of a burden than anything else. Anyway, I am glad the two met, sounds like they would have gotten along well. I love his painting Christina's World...can relate to it very much. God bless them both.

It is so sad.

Being a celebrity, living a life in the public eye, may have it's pleasant sides, no doubt - but the price is high. The price is someone's privacy. More or less you are a marionette of those pulling the strings in the background. I often thought about this ... :(

BTW, I found a like new hardcover edition of Andrew Wyeth's biography and I am anxious to read it. I didn't know the painter yet so thanks for posting this. :flowers:

Back