Original Copies of Michael Jackson's 'Moonwalker' Discovered

bluesky

Proud Member
One of the most sought after Michael Jackson relics is unearthed.
Michael Luehring for Salem News.com

(STUDIO CITY, Calif.) - A rare copy of Michael Jackson’sMoonwalker film featuring the iconic dance sequence of 'Smooth Criminal' was located this week in Studio City, California.
1317361331.jpg
'Moonwalker' inspired a hit video game.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Amy Redman, a raw stock broker who worked withMoonwalker&#8217;s live action director, Colin Chilvers for a number of years, came forward Tuesday with three reels of film that contain over 30 minutes of footage.
&#8220;I have the only release print ever made for use in the USA. It consists of the live action portion of Michael Jackson&#8217;s Moonwalker. Michael had a dream and Moonwalker is the result of his visions,&#8221; said Redman.
Half of the film is live action (dance, acting, singing performances with Michael) directed by Chilvers and the other half is claymation.
Although Moonwalker had been theatrically re released in Europe in 1988, the film never made it to theaters in the United states. The film went on to huge success in the home video market.
1317360532.jpg

Chilvers had this print made to screen for his TV commercial clients&#8230;a reel of his current work so to speak&#8230;.after having spent years on Moonwalker&#8217;s production with Michael Jackson.
Redman had the print inspected by a local film historian/projectionist who verified the print is in good condition. Redman had worked closely with the Chilvers on the production.
The reels had been in Redman&#8217;s procession for years. It was not until Michael Jackson&#8217;s death that Redman decided to come forward with the reels.
As early as January, TMZ had reported that the Archlight theater in Los Angeles had been actively searching for a copy of this film. Michael Jackson&#8217;s estate was quoted in TMZ as saying &#8220;The estate has the rights but has no plans of renting the prints at this time.&#8221;
Redman is hopeful a deal can be worked out for the purchase of the print. &#8220;At this time I feel it&#8217;s the best opportunity to get this footage to parties that are willing to appreciate the vast talents of Michael Jackson, which I witnessed personally.&#8221;
1317360927.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

source: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/september302011/moonwalker-discovered-ml.php

___________________________________​

1317382149.jpg
Mike Luehring has been closely involved in Southern California's film industry for many years, working on a variety of projects ranging from movies and television shows, to music production and distribution; he also has a strong background in media equipment supply.
Mike's relationship with Salem-News.com's Tim King, came about from a common interest in Sean Flynn, son of the great movie actor Errol Flynn. Sean is one of several reporters and photojournalists who went missing during the invasion of Cambodia in 1970. In writing stories about Sean Flynn, Tim learned that Mike Luehring is also the Spokesman for the Flynn estate, and a close assistant of Rory Flynn, Sean Flynn's sister. The ensuing relationship has allowed Tim access to the Flynn family to ensure that stories about Sean Flynn are accurate from a family perspective.
Mike is affiliated with Brantley Investigations, Committee to Protect Journalists, Flynn Society, and many more interesting groups and associations. He is a welcome addition to the Salem-News.com writing team and brings an interesting, diverse Hollywood touch to our news product that is at times historic, and always compelling. To reach Mike Luehring, write to our newsroom, newsroom@salem-news.com and write 'attn: Mike Luehring' in the subject line, we will forward relevant emails his way.

Last edited:
There are so many good things.
The Estate don't care about it because they don't understand what the fan wants.

Wow wow wow wowowowowowowow! I'm :wild: too thinking about that Come Together performance all in your face as well. :blush: Maybe someday soon.

GREAT NEWS!

Needs a great release. - Maybe they should get it to play in cinemas again in 4K.

Oh my God...! That is GREAT news! Hope this is released.

I'm sorry but why is this good news? We still can watch monnwalker... Please can someone explain. Im lost

I'm sorry but why is this good news? We still can watch monnwalker... Please can someone explain. Im lost

Well, The blu ray had quality issues. Either they rushed it or the source material was degraded. If it's the latter, we can look forward to a better version not only on bluray but also higher resolution formats in the future.

Did Moonwalker was release in blu-ray in the US?? I thought it was only release in overseas??

I hope 1 day i will see it, what i still wonder is is the estate willing to make money?? Or what the heck is going on that takes so long for them to release anything from Mike :-(

Can someone elxplain that?

This is fantastic news! Hope it comes out in this form. The Blu ray was IMO a let down, since it was cut & cencored! While waiting for it, the DVD from 2005 will do :)

Was Moonwalker ever released on DVD or bluray at all?

Yes it was. In Europe it was released on as a remastered DVD in 2005, and on Blu ray in 2010. The DVD contains the unedited original full screen version of the film, while the Blu ray offers a censored version that was cut to be presented in widescreen.

Wow wow wow wowowowowowowow! I'm :wild: too thinking about that Come Together performance all in your face as well. :blush: Maybe someday soon.

Oh Yeah, Come Together. I am ashamed to say how many times I looked at that one performance with Michael in his open, yellow top. WAW!!!!!!!

Yes it was on DVD because I have a copy at home.

Back