Orianthi: Michael Jackson’s Pick

rockstar

Proud Member
Orianthi was working in-studio when she got the email from Michael Jackson.
“I remember being in a room writing a song with a bunch of people and I got the email and was like, ‘Is this for real?’ It was really crazy. He wanted me to come in and learn Beat It. I was super nervous,” Orianthi told andPOP from her L.A. home.
The 24-year-old female electric guitarist was personally invited by Jackson to play lead guitar in his final tour “This Is It.” The King of Pop spotted Orianthi’s prodigious talent in a video guitar solo posted on her MySpace account.
However anxious, Orianthi didn’t let her nerves shake her at the audition. Jackson selected the fresh-faced Australian to join him and a group of some of the most talented musicians across the globe for 50 shows that have been dubbed “the greatest concerts that never happened.”

“It definitely made me believe in myself more when I was accepted into the band. It was an incredible experience.”
While she worked tirelessly in rehearsals for “This Is It”, Orianthi would spend her shreds of spare time in L.A. writing and recording her debut album, Believe. The 11 tracks, each featuring its own guitar solo, were released last October. The album`s single, According to You, hit #8 on Australian billboards and #17 in the U.S.A..
This guitar-strumming bombshell’s path to success began in her hometown of Adelaide, Australia. At 18, Orianthi was invited to join her idol Carlos Santana on stage to play in front of more than 10,000 screaming fans.
This February, Orianthi had the opportunity to reunite with Santana when she joined music industry heavyweights to record We Are the World in efforts to raise money for the Haiti after the crippling 7.0 earthquake.
Inside the cramped studio, Orianthi was surrounded by stars. Artists such as Lionel Richie, the Beach Boys, and her old friend Santana provided the vocals while Orianthi jammed out on the guitar with just enough elbow room.
“It was really hot in there. We were fanning ourselves with the We are the World song sheets.”
After single-handedly climbing her way to the top of the music industry, Orianthi plans on staying. The female solo artist is excited to start touring with acoustic rocker John Mayor across Australia and New Zealand in April, 2010.
As bright as Orianthi’s future looks, it’s not as if the young woman didn’t confront hurdles along the way. In her early performances, Orianthi received flak from men in the audience for being a girl with a guitar.
“When you go out there and play a show, guys are staring you down thinking, ‘What’s she going to do?’ It’s like being a male ballerina. But once they see you have a passion for it, they have respect for you and take you seriously.”
The singer hopes that she will motivate young fans to feel confident enough to pick up the guitar without the fear of backlash she once faced.
“I want girls to believe in themselves because playing the guitar is perceived as such a guy thing. It would be really cool to inspire more girls to rock out.”

here is link:http://www.andpop.com/2010/03/07/orianthi-michael-jacksons-pick/

Nice article, thank you! Orianthi is great. I guess Michael as a musical genious recognized her talent the moment he saw her :)

Thanks for this article. Interesting comments at the end.

Orianthi bugs me for some reason when she speaks about Michael. She is so casual about it lol, like he is just some random guy and not the MICHAEL JACKSON you know?

Maybe its her laid back persona (being Aussie). I'm Aussie though and I wouldn't be so calm talking about the one and only haha

Orianthi has big talent.Michael could see the star in a person.

Orianthi bugs me for some reason when she speaks about Michael. She is so casual about it lol, like he is just some random guy and not the MICHAEL JACKSON you know?

Maybe its her laid back persona (being Aussie). I'm Aussie though and I wouldn't be so calm talking about the one and only haha

OMG.me toooo. i thought it was just me. i feel like she wasn't really an mj fan but just came cause she happened to audition. when the others talk about him you can see it in their eyes and hear how much they loved him, but she speaks about him like an acquaintance rather than the KING. but i could b wrong and i can't really judge someone like that but i totally know what you mean.
But go orianthi!
aussie aussie aussie. lol

Could it be that she didn't know that much about him when she got picked?

I know. I really hate that too. It's like she doesn't understand who he is. :doh: Being cool when hanging out with Michael Jackson is so not cool. :rofl::rofl:

OMG.me toooo. i thought it was just me. i feel like she wasn't really an mj fan but just came cause she happened to audition. when the others talk about him you can see it in their eyes and hear how much they loved him, but she speaks about him like an acquaintance rather than the KING. but i could b wrong and i can't really judge someone like that but i totally know what you mean.
But go orianthi!
aussie aussie aussie. lol

I had the same feeling too :yes:.

I guess its because of her musical field. She's a guiarist and has played with Santana and loves Les Paul etc; guitar heroes. Michael isn't from that field whereas dancers are in awe when they see him as dance is one of Michael's fields and he has inspired so many dancers. You don't hear about guitarists being inspired by people like Michael, they're usually inspired by Santana, Slash, Les Paul, Hendrix etc.

Thanks for posting! I think she's an amazing guitarist....!

Back