Oprah Winfrey says she's disappointed by school abuse case verdict

billyworld99

Proud Member
CNN) -- Talk show host Oprah Winfrey on Monday said she was not satisfied with the acquittal of a woman accused of abusing students at the her South African girls school.

Tiny Virginia Makopo, 30, was found not guilty of allegations that she improperly touched several teenage girls when she was a matron at the campus near Johannesburg soon after it opened in 2007, the South African Press Association reported Monday.

"We began this child molestation trial in July 2008," Winfrey said in a written statement. "More than two years later, I am profoundly disappointed at the outcome of the trial."

Winfrey -- who has spoken publicly about abuse she suffered as a child -- became personally involved in the abuse investigation after a student reported the alleged abuse in October 2007.

She cried for half an hour after receiving the call from the CEO of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, and she then hired a team of American private investigators to work with South African police on the case, she said.

"I wanted to hire an independent team because my experience with child predators is that no one ever, ever abuses just one child," Winfrey said at the time.

Despite the verdict, Winfrey said she appreciated the efforts of the prosecutors and police, "who sought justice and treated the girls with the utmost care and respect."

"I will forever be proud of the nine girls who testified with the courage and conviction to be heard," Winfrey said.

When Winfrey opened the school at the beginning of 2007, she said she hoped it would provide opportunities to girls from poor backgrounds. She personally approved each of the students, many of whom were at the top of their classes.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/cel...hool.verdict/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Ah maybe thats how she feel about MJ?

If so, it's unfounded. You can't even compare Michael to this. The allegations in Michael's life were based solely upon fantasy, whereas these appear to be legitimate. The girls have nothing to gain by testifying against their teacher, and they're girls who are at the top of their class, not vandal losers like the Arvizo kids. It would seem to me as though more intelligent people would have less inclination towards making false statements against their own teacher--and there's nine of them, simultaneously testifying.

Oprah's feelings about the school abuse verdict are fine in my opinion. She suffered from abuse as a child, so she has a personal motive for wanting to protect her school girls from predators.
When I first read the title of this thread my immediate thought was that the news article would bring up something about Michael and, being on an MJ forum, it does tempt your mind into thinking it is related. But really it's got nothing to do with it, and I dont think its anything to get worked up about.
All I'm worried about is the wellbeing of those nine (or more) girls :(

There was a book about Oprah not long ago and it claimed she wasn't abused as a child, she all made it up, just to get public sympathy. I'm not claiming it's true (we know how there were books full of lies about MJ as well), but I feel the woman is extremly phoney, so I don't know what to think.

As for this case, without knowing the details I won't say anything. There is child abuse, but there are also false allegations, as we all know.

Oprah, please shut up, for the love of all that is good and holy. Just because you got abused as a child doesn't mean that you need to be the savior for all abused children all over the world, condemning this and saving that. You're not all that you're cracked up to be, get your head out of the clouds. And lastly

ACCUSED DOES NOT MEAN ABUSED. ACCUSED DOES NOT MEAN GUILTY. IT MEANS ACCUSED. WHAT PART OF YOUR BRAIN DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?

Jeez Oprah. So phoney.

Back