Olivia Newton-John's Ex-Boyfriend Says He Faked His Death

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
The former boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John, who vanished five years ago, has given private investigators conclusive proof he is alive in the hopes everyone will now leave him alone. Patrick McDermott, missing since a 2005 fishing trip in California, reportedly sent voice messages and other documents to Philip Klein, who was hired by NBC's 'Dateline' to track him down.

Klein told the Daily Telegraph on Thursday that after reviewing the items, he and his team had "concluded beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. McDermott is alive."

McDermott, 48, and his lawyer sent the proof in return for detectives agreeing to halt their search, Klein said. He hopes "not to be 'hounded' any longer by investigators or the media."

Klein is not saying exactly where the man is; however, there have been numerous sightings of him in Mexico, where he was said to be working as a yacht deckhand in the drifter-friendly town of Sayulita.

Last year, a letter faxed on behalf of McDermott begged investigators to "stop this search immediately" and allow the former cameraman to "live his life in peace and harmony. He is safe and has started anew again in a new place both physically and mentally."

McDermott vanished near San Pedro, Calif., in 2005 and was believed to have drowned after falling overboard a boat ironically called "Freedom."

His disappearance left his 'Grease'-starring girlfriend heartbroken and fueled speculation he faked his own death to avoid mounting debts and allow his teenage son with his ex-wife, actress Yvette Nipa, to benefit from a life insurance policy.

Newton-John had been dating McDermott for nine years and has since married businessman John Easterling.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/04/02/olivia-newton-john-patrick-kim-mcdermott-found/

Fascinating... I always wondered what really happened in that case.

damn...

is that his way of wanting to run away from Olivia Newton John?

Apparently he was running away from his financial debts but what I find interesting is that there is no mention of any repercussions for faking his death.

To me though, that man did not fake his death. He simply disappeared. There was no body. No autopsy. No real funeral. He was declared missing and presumed dead. Obviously, if he actually is alive, it seems likely he wanted it to appear that he was dead. But he really just went missing.

I've been hearing about this on TV. What a strange case. I hope they don't let this guy get away with what he has done (if it's true and he's alive). I mean, isn't insurance fraud a crime? And poor Olivia (my idol growing up), this must have been devastating for her. Though she has moved on from this jerk and married someone else.

I've been hearing about this on TV. What a strange case. I hope they don't let this guy get away with what he has done (if it's true and he's alive). I mean, isn't insurance fraud a crime? And poor Olivia (my idol growing up), this must have been devastating for her. Though she has moved on from this jerk and married someone else.

If insurance was claimed and paid out, then yeah, it's a crime. But we don't know if insurance was involved. And somehow I doubt it was, because a person has to be declared legally dead before insurance can ever be claimed, and that process (though it likely varies by state) usually takes about 7 years...to be declared legally dead.

To me though, that man did not fake his death. He simply disappeared. There was no body. No autopsy. No real funeral. He was declared missing and presumed dead. Obviously, if he actually is alive, it seems likely he wanted it to appear that he was dead. But he really just went missing.
This. :yes:

If insurance was claimed and paid out, then yeah, it's a crime. But we don't know if insurance was involved. And somehow I doubt it was, because a person has to be declared legally dead before insurance can ever be claimed, and that process (though it likely varies by state) usually takes about 7 years...to be declared legally dead.

Thats what faking your death is!!:doh:

He didnt just disappear. He was declared dead. His insurance was paid to his son and ex wife. Michaels estate got his insurance paid off with months.

He claimed he did fake his death and after investigators were hounding him, he sent in proof that he was alive so they would leave him alone.

Thats what faking your death is!!:doh:

He didnt just disappear. He was declared dead. His insurance was paid to his son and ex wife. Michaels estate got his insurance paid off with months.

He claimed he did fake his death and after investigators were hounding him, he sent in proof that he was alive so they would leave him alone.

I haven't seen the proof. :doh: It hasn't been shared with the public, isn't that correct? To me, proof is not proof unless it's tangible or verifiable. We don't know that he's alive. And I haven't seen anything that said he was declared dead..and when the news conferences were held on this case, that is also what was said by the officials who were speaking: presumed dead.

We don't know for a fact that McDermott has spoken with or contacted anyone. The "detectives" haven't proven that to anyone (who exactly are THEY anyway?). Where is the proof that insurance was collected? The article doesn't say it was collected--it suggests only that one of McDermott's motives was to "enable his teenage son to benefit from his $100,000 (£66,000) life insurance policy." We're just seeing this information in some article, which to me, doesn't prove anything. The man still has to be declared legally dead before insurance can be collected. And again, that's one article, which doesn't prove anything to me at all.

Sorry, but I like MJ's philosophy: just because you see it in print doesn't mean it's the Gospel. So I think I'll just leave this now at, we agree to disagree. We're both free to believe whatever we want on this.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind if I add this new information. Can't believe this guy is getting off so easily...

http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/03/...cdermott-coast-guard-file-olivia-newton-john/

Top Secret File on Olivia Newton-John's Missing Ex-Boyfriend Released

Shocking new details on the disappearance of Olivia Newton-John's ex-boyfriend Patrick McDermott have surfaced, as the US Coast Guard's top secret file on the investigation has been obtained by RadarOnline.com.

The dossier reveals that McDermott was in deep credit card debt, making him unable to pay child support from a previous marriage. Eight months before he vanished, McDermott attempted to increase his life insurance policy pay-out. And just three months before, he bought a .357 magnum. The gun was never found by investigators.

McDermott disappeared five years ago during a fishing trip off the coast of Los Angeles -- just two weeks after he and Newton-John broke up. The pair had been dating for nine years. He wasn't heard from until April of this year, when he provided evidence that he was alive and begged investigators to leave him alone.

During the investigation, Newton-John provided the Coast Guard with intimate details about their break-up. "The last time Newton-John saw McDermott was the day she departed for Australia, sometime in mid-June 2005," the file reads. Newton-John told investigators what happened that day: "During that visit, Patrick came to the residence (in Malibu) to say goodbye, he gave me flowers and a card, but left prior to my departure to the airport."

"Patrick thought it would be good that we separate while I was in Australia for two months. We both mutually agreed on the break-up," she continued.

"This had happened in the past and normally we got back together because we missed each other too much," she said. "Patrick seemed to have a good attitude (to the breakup) ... we parted on good terms." According to the documents, the two exchanged e-mails while she was in Australia. "But I never talked to him again," Newton-John confessed.

Newton John didn't contact investigators until nine days after her assistant let her know that he was missing. But she eventually called to inquire "if there was any news on the whereabouts of McDermott."

The suspicion that McDermott faked his own death was only strengthened by the discovery of his financial crisis. According to the documents, he had only $755.01 in savings and was $19,004.56 in credit card debt. He also mysteriously attempted to increase his life insurance policy from $100,000 to $500,000. But "because he was broke and did not have any information of family medical history," he did not pursue this.

While Newton-John said she had no knowledge of his money problems, her assistant confirmed that McDermott was listed on her payroll for doing work around her home.

Even more dramatic details surfaced when investigators took a look at McDermott's computer -- one recovered file had information on how to create a fake identity, and all of his e-mails were deleted. There was also evidence that someone tried to access McDermott's computer after he disappeared, but was unable to provide the correct password to log on.

The files also reveal that McDermott once tried to commit suicide by ingesting a cocktail of pills.

Recently, there have been alleged sightings of McDermott in Mexico, where he is apparently working as a deckhand. But the US Coast Guard has officially closed the case. Investigators have cited it as a "Deadbeat Parent" case, in which someone escapes from life's responsibilities. The State Department will remain on the lookout for McDermott, although not actively.

I haven't seen the proof. :doh: It hasn't been shared with the public, isn't that correct? To me, proof is not proof unless it's tangible or verifiable. We don't know that he's alive. And I haven't seen anything that said he was declared dead..and when the news conferences were held on this case, that is also what was said by the officials who were speaking: presumed dead.

We don't know for a fact that McDermott has spoken with or contacted anyone. The "detectives" haven't proven that to anyone (who exactly are THEY anyway?). Where is the proof that insurance was collected? The article doesn't say it was collected--it suggests only that one of McDermott's motives was to "enable his teenage son to benefit from his $100,000 (£66,000) life insurance policy." We're just seeing this information in some article, which to me, doesn't prove anything. The man still has to be declared legally dead before insurance can be collected. And again, that's one article, which doesn't prove anything to me at all.

Sorry, but I like MJ's philosophy: just because you see it in print doesn't mean it's the Gospel. So I think I'll just leave this now at, we agree to disagree. We're both free to believe whatever we want on this.

words to live by. yet, the temptation to believe whatever is in print, has proven to be the greatest temptation in human history. even greater than sex.

Back