October 2, 2008

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Good morning folks. I hope everyone is well this morning :yes: Give me a few minutes and I'll find some news and/or mentionings for ya.

Mentionings...

A Thrilling challenge

8:40am Thursday 2nd October 2008
By Cherry Thomas »
Steve Clegg and young members of the Bolton Artistic Roller Skating Club practising their Michael Jackson zombie moves

IT’S close to midnight, and something evil’s lurking in the dark...
Don’t worry though, it is not a real zombie — this is Steve Clegg, who along with hundreds of others, will take part in a “Thrillerthon” later this month.
Mr Clegg, aged 54, and fellow members of the “undead” will join a global attempt to perform the largest ever simultaneous dance to Michael Jackson’s hit song Thriller.
Around 400 people are expected to wear spooky make up and fancy dress and gather at Hayward Leisure Centre in Bolton to dance their way into the Guinness Book of World Records on October 25. Mr Clegg, a PVC cleaner and chairman of Bolton Artistic Roller Skating Club, said: “Some of the children at the club were talking about the Thriller dance so I looked it up on the internet for them.
“I found stuff about Thrill The World and it grabbed my attention. It’s so different and I thought it would be brilliant for Bolton to join in.
“The whole idea of becoming a zombie — it’s not something you do in the normal walk of life.”
Thrill The World was started by Canadian dance instructor, Ines Markeljevic, in 2006 and last year more than 1,700 people took part.
It is hoped many more will dance for 2008 and Bolton is signed up alongside Brisbane, Shanghai, New York, Berlin and London.
Tell Us: Is Thriller the best video ever?
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/boltonnews/3720190.A_Thrilling_challenge/

Alton Towers Corkscrew to be taken down

Oct 2 2008
BCEE7C6E-C6D3-78BF-5A402B1D68A2377C.jpg

THE Alton Towers Resort announces the end of an era as Europe’s first double loop rollercoaster, the Corkscrew, is to be taken down.
The 1980’s was an era defined by icons; Michael Jackson, Margaret Thatcher…and Europe’s first double-helix rollercoaster, the Corkscrew, at the Alton Towers Resort. After 28 fantastic years of generating exciting family fun and creating profound memories as the first ever rollercoaster experienced by thousands, the time has come for big kids everywhere to say goodbye to Britain’s most iconic ride. On 9th November 2008, the Corkscrew will unleash its double-loop drama for the last time before being taken down...
http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/m...rs-corkscrew-to-be-taken-down-66331-21947718/

AKON HAS A DIZZEE SPELL

ABOVE: R&B: Akon

2nd October 2008

Your Shout ( 0 )

R&B royalty Akon wants to introduce Dizzee Rascal to the States.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }
The 34-year-old, who is currently working with Michael Jackson, 50, on his new album, told me: “Dizzee is dope. I really like him. I think that whole grime sound, if it ever breaks outside of the UK, is going to be huge, it’s so new and fresh.

“I want to be the one to bring it over to the US and one way would be to get Dizzee on my album. Give him my number.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/53179/Akon-has-a-Dizzee-spell/

'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist' stars have surprising chemistry on-screen

BY Roger Moore • ORLANDO SENTINEL • October 2, 2008
She loved "Mamma Mia!"

"It made me all mushy and weepy," she giggles.
He joined the cult of "Mister Lonely," the movie about the Michael Jackson impersonator who meets Marilyn Monroe and joins her commune in Scotland.
"I love movies that are, youknow, fresh and kind of edgy."
She has Stravinsky and Regina Spektor on her iPod. And he?
"I don't have an iPod. I use iTunes, though. Does that count?"
He's 20, sweet and mousy and Canadian. She's 22, dark, sultry and a Philly girl.
We know what you're saying. It'll never work out.
But somehow, as Nick and Norah, the romantic focus of "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist," Michael Cera and Kat Dennings click. Their chemistry moved the New York Times to call this pairing of the "nerd du jour" Cera and the "odd, arresting beauty" Dennings a "movie to watch" this fall.
He's settling into stardom after "Juno" and "Superbad" put him there last year. She's been around for years, popping up in films such as August's "The House Bunny." Norah is her second leading lady role (after "Charlie Bartlett") and could be her big break.
"Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist," based on a novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, may have a title that's a pun on the old "Thin Man" Nick and Nora Charles romance mysteries. But it's a thoroughly modern love-me, love-my-music romance, a film in which the would-be lovers share mix CDs long before they share a kiss.
"The only thing that can lead to romance is chemistry," says Dennings. "But it's definitely a plus if you have the same taste in music."
"Music doesn't necessarily have that much to do with romance," counters Cera. "It's a great way to click with someone, especially if you share unusual tastes in music."
But Cera's into Human Highway and Alan Price, who used to be keyboardist for the Animals. Denning's all about "Bowie, David Bowie." There's just no way to get these two kids together. Off the screen, anyway.
"For Nick and Norah, music is a huge deal," Dennings says, laughing. "It's what gets Norah's attention before she even meets Nick. And Nick, once he finds out she's been listening to his mix CDs, he has to think about her differently."
"I think Norah likes the fact that Nick is in a band, that he plays bass," Cera offers after an awkward pause. "Girls like musicians, don't they?"
Dennings and Cera and the cast and crew of "Nick and Norah" enjoyed "29 freezing nights" on Manhattan's Lower East Side, Cera says. They filmed in real nightclubs as Nick and Norah meet and traverse the city in the wee small hours of the morning, looking for love, searching for a friend who's had too much to drink and trying to find a legendary band that they love that's about to perform an after-hours gig.
"I can totally understand that, bossing about a band or a musician," says Cera. But the slightly older Dennings is the one who connects that phrase "It's about the music" with people the age of the characters in "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist."
"Being really into a band in your teens is like being into holidays and birthdays," she says. "You outgrow it. I stopped caring about big birthdays a few years ago. And as obsessed as you might be with this band or that one, that's the thing with obsession. It wears out."

:( this one is kinda jukie so I'll give ya the link but I'm not posting the article. It assumes about Michael's happiness.
Mind Set: Go for total wealth
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...t_Go_for_total_wealth/articleshow/1872089.cms

Today in
Michael Jackson History
2001 - It was reported that the Michael Jackson: The Solo Years, 30th Anniversary Celebration" tribute concerts, held on September 7 and 10, 2001 at Madison Square Garden in New York City had grossed $10,072,105 in ticket sales. 34,844 people attended the two concerts.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, Shannon.

I have seen the movie trailer of that "Nick and Norah" movie and it is funny.

As for the Mind Set article - blah. No one truly knows how anyone is "feeling" based on what they read in the papers. Just a bunch of people talking about someone they know nothing about.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/20081003TDY14003.htm

Like many visiting musicians, she didn't confine her singing to the stage.
"I did karaoke last time, I remember that, and I had a very bad mark. I did Michael Jackson, [sings] 'If you wanna be starting something,' which was quite hard, I agree, but I expected to have a better mark," she says.

http://tri-statedefenderonline.com/...78/1/Samuel-L-Jackson-King-of-Cool/Page1.html

– “What ever happened to singer Rockwell who sang the song “Somebody’s Watching Me?”

M. Smith, Memphis

A – Rockwell, born Kennedy William Gordy, is one of six children born to Motown founder Berry Gordy. Securing his record deal without his father’s knowledge, he changed his name to Rockwell because he believed he “rocked well.” His only hit song, “Somebody’s Watching Me,” featured childhood friends Michael and Jermaine Jackson. He knew he could get the song released if he could get Michael to sing on it. After other releases failed to live up to the success of his first single, he soon ended his music career. However with Berry Gordy being his father, I don’t think he has to worry about finances.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/n...Nottingham/article-371329-detail/article.html

IF you find yourself in Nottingham's Old Market Square on Hallowe'en, be afraid... be very afraid.
It may look a bit like you have stepped into a scene from cult horror movie Shaun of the Dead.
But don't worry, the world won't have been taken over by deranged corpses; it is just part of a spectacular world record attempt for the largest gathering of zombies on October 31.
And everyone who turns up in fancy dress will join in with a choreographed version of Michael Jackson's 1982 zombie pop video Thriller.
People from across the city and beyond are being urged by organisers of the annual GameCity festival to join in and beat the current record of 1,028.

It was set by the It's Alive Show at the Monroeville Mall in Pittsburgh, USA, in October, 2007 – though a bigger attempt, with 1,124 people, is awaiting verification.
GameCity's Festival director Iain Simons, Director of GameCity said he hoped families would come along in fancy dress. Make-up artists will be on hand to provide zombie makeovers.
He said: "We have always known Nottingham is a record-breaking city. This year at GameCity we intend to prove it, over and over again.
"There's going to be lots of record attempts throughout the festival, but on Hallowe'en we're bringing the zombie record home."
The square will host a stage and cinema screen for the festival, which will broadcast all the events of the day.
From 2.30pm there will be spooky performances from dance schools, zombie choirs and scary circus acts. There will also be rock music sessions on stage with prizes.
The record attempt is between 2.30pm and 5pm. Representatives from Guinness World Records will be present.
GameCity runs from October 30 to November 1 and includes a preview of the new Batman game alongside other gaming events and attractions.
Nottingham brewer Castle Rock is creating a special beer for the event and is inviting people to come up with names for its new brew.
To find out more about the record and the rest of GameCity visit www.game city.org/zombies.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=320333&paper=63&cat=104

At the project's official kickoff Thursday, Sept. 25, Laipply wrapped up a morning filled with individual classroom exercises, scenarios and activities with a show he has used at high schools, colleges and corporate events all throughout his career. The act culminates in a six-minute bit called "Evolution of Dance", where Laipply recreates almost two dozen of the most famous dances from the past 50 years. It's that routine, featuring dances from Michael Jackson's "Thriller", "Walk Like an Egyptian" and "Mr. Roboto" that has been seen by almost 10 million people worldwide. It also reflects one of the main themes of Laipply's hour-long routine: the world is constantly changing and it's up to each individual to incorporate and deal with that reality.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2008/10/02/blindboys.html?sid=101

It's the music that took all of these elements together and came up with an original style of music that was the pop music of its day. People like Louis Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton were the Michael Jackson and Britney Spears of their day. Even though the recordings sound old - and they are - those
were Top 10 hits back in the day. It's been an evolution of that music and entertainment over the years.

Thanks DM for posting.

A – Rockwell, born Kennedy William Gordy, is one of six children born to Motown founder Berry Gordy. Securing his record deal without his father’s knowledge, he changed his name to Rockwell because he believed he “rocked well.” His only hit song, “Somebody’s Watching Me,” featured childhood friends Michael and Jermaine Jackson. He knew he could get the song released if he could get Michael to sing on it. After other releases failed to live up to the success of his first single, he soon ended his music career. However with Berry Gordy being his father, I don’t think he has to worry about finances

I always wanted to know what ever happened to Rockwell and it really does not say a lot. Anyway, so his real name is Kennedy William - interesting name. LOL. Well, I love that song, "Somebody's Watching Me". A good pop song. Kinda cheesy but the MJ vocals were awesome.

– “What ever happened to singer Rockwell who sang the song “Somebody’s Watching Me?”

M. Smith, Memphis

A – Rockwell, born Kennedy William Gordy, is one of six children born to Motown founder Berry Gordy. Securing his record deal without his father’s knowledge, he changed his name to Rockwell because he believed he “rocked well.” His only hit song, “Somebody’s Watching Me,” featured childhood friends Michael and Jermaine Jackson. He knew he could get the song released if he could get Michael to sing on it. After other releases failed to live up to the success of his first single, he soon ended his music career. However with Berry Gordy being his father, I don’t think he has to worry about finances.

I didn't know that. Wow. I thought Rockwell was just some guy, not Motown's Berry's son!! How interesting =)

This question could be used in a Michael Jackson quiz :fortuneteller:

Back