Obama's grandmother passes away

KOPV

Proud Member
obamagrandparents.jpg

I'm sad to announce that ONE day before the election the woman that helped raised Barack Obama (his grandmother) past away.

So many things rush my mind at this time of WHY'S? But we know she left Barack in a good place, because of her greatness and the things she instilled in Barack, she has profoundly impacted the world in a HUGE way..

REST IN PEACE!! and GOD BLESS YOU!!

(reported by CNN) on telivision now!!!

Last edited:
Here are a couple articles:

Barack Obama's Grandmother Passes Away Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com November 03, 2008 11:35 AM digg_title = "Barack Obama's Grandmother Passes Away"; var sburl8972 = window.location.href; var sbtitle8972 = document.title;digg_title = "Barack Obama's Grandmother Passes Away"; var sbtitle8972=encodeURIComponent("Barack Obama's Grandmother Passes Away"); var sburl8972=decodeURI("http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/11035/"); sburl8972=sburl8972.replace(/amp;/g, "");sburl8972=encodeURIComponent(sburl8972);Barack Obama's grandmother has passed away after a long illness. Obama's Hawaii campaign has confirmed that Madelyn Dunham passed away early this morning.
Dunham had just turned 86.
The Senator came to visit her a few weeks ago, when her condition worsened a few weeks after she broke her hip.
Sen. Obama and his sister Maya Soetoro-Ng released a statement saying:
"It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at
a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to
any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer. "
Maya Soetoro-Ng adds the following, "My grandmother made her home on these islands since 1959, and she loved the people of Hawaii. We want to thank Tutu's friends and extended ohana for the outpouring of aloha over the past few weeks. We received cards, letters, and gifts that helped lift her spirits, and we are very grateful for everybody's support."

Obama's Grandmother Passes Away

By Greg Sargent - November 3, 2008, 4:40PM
Here's the statement just in from Barack Obama and his half sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, on the death of their grandmother:
It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure. Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer.
His grandmother, his primary caregiver for many years, passes away today. And he's very likely to be elected president tomorrow. It's hard to imagine what the emotional tumult must be like.

Oh noooo! I was hoping she would make it at least until after the election to possibly see her grandson make history. So very sad. :( May her soul rest in peace.

I always thought that if she did happen to pass away before the election, she would somehow watch over him and ensure that he does make history.

Everything happens for a reason. Guess I just hoped someone from his side who helped him become the man he is would be around to see the result of all their sacrifice. :( I truly pray that her spirit looks out for him. Should he become President of the United States he's going to need all the divine protection he can get.

My condolensces go out to him and the rest of his family.

Sad news but thanks for posting.

aww yea thats sad..

the day before..thats eery . she helped him in the past and tomorrow he will go forward to the future..

theres people in his life that wont see him as president (if it turns out that way, his mother and father? passed on too

obamagrandparents.jpg

i'm sad to announce that one day before the election the woman that helped raised barack obama (his grandmother) past away.

So many things rush my mind at this time of why's? But we know she left barack in a good place, because of her greatness and the things she instilled in barack, she has profoundly impacted the world in a huge way..

Rest in peace!! And god bless you!!

(reported by cnn) on telivision now!!!

that is soo soo sad! Rest in peace.
All my wishes goes to the obama family :(

Wow she must have been a great lady!
May she rest in peace!

My condolences and prayers go out to her and her family!

Very sad indeed. I can't imagine how Barack in particular must feel to be on the verge of making history and then for something like this too happen.

Man.

RIP.

That sucks...
I can't imagine losing a family member, though I know it'll happen eventually.
RIP

Also, maybe it's a sign that Obama is able to take care of things on his own...

That's heart-breaking. She didn't even get to see if her grandson becomes the first black President of the US. But I bet she was proud of how far he's already come. I hope he can still enjoy himself on election day and enjoy his victory if he wins.

That's so sad! :(
Sen. Obama, she'll be watching over you proudly as you make history tomorrow.
Best wishes!. :flowers:

This is such a shame, it would have been so nice if she could have been alive to see the result and hopefully celebrate with her grandson. She did so much for him and he loved her dearly.
RIP Toot

This is so sad...they announced it on the radio on our way to the rally in VA last night. Then I was wondering if he'd still show up or whatever, but of course he did and was phenomenal.

And, of course she's already seen Obama make history...the first African-American elected nominee for the presidency. She was already proud...and she knew he's going to win. :D

Anyway, I voted! People if you haven't, get out there! :D

That's so sad :(
She can't be there if her grandson makes history :(

May she rest in peace and if Obama wins, we all know that she would've been so so so proud of him. All the best & strength to Obama and his family and relatives.

When I heard this, my heart broke for him. Poor guy. RIP to his amazing grandmother. What an amazing woman who helped raised an amazing person.

Sad news, I hope Barack Obama does his late grandmother and both sides of his family proud and becomes the first Mixed Race President of the USA. This week could be historical for mixed race people with Lewis Hamilton becoming the first ever Mixed Race F1 Champion, and hopefully Obama with add to that history. A shame the public and media still apply Jim Crow's OneDrop Rule.

Back