Nursing

DancetoExpress

Proud Member
I'm a senior in high school and I'm seriously considering about going into nursing, though it gets a bit awkward when explaining that to others considering I'm a male. "Hey, what's your major?" Me: "Nursing *very quietly*". Well enough about that, I was wondering what procedures would be involved with becoming a nurse? I'm hoping I get into UC Irvine and the nursing program. And if I miraculously get accepted, what steps would I have to take to work at a hospital or something? I'm totally clueless about the BSN, RN, and all that other stuff. So if there are any nurses out there, please fill in a clueless high school senior :(

I'm a senior in high school and I'm seriously considering about going into nursing, though it gets a bit awkward when explaining that to others considering I'm a male. "Hey, what's your major?" Me: "Nursing *very quietly*". Well enough about that, I was wondering what procedures would be involved with becoming a nurse? I'm hoping I get into UC Irvine and the nursing program. And if I miraculously get accepted, what steps would I have to take to work at a hospital or something? I'm totally clueless about the BSN, RN, and all that other stuff. So if there are any nurses out there, please fill in a clueless high school senior :(

First of all, congrats on considering nursing for a profession! :clapping: Male nurses are more and more widely "accepted" if you want to say it like that...Nursing is about a lot more than following doctor's orders...It takes instinct and critical thinking as well...It takes very simply a caring person as well, but I'm sure you've heard that before..:D

I'm an RN; I graduated with a BScN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing). It's a 4 year degree university program. You take practical, hands on classes, and learn from the beginning, simple bathing, all the way through to final year, managing a peripherally inserted central catheter line. All through the program, you'll learn about theory as well...professional growth, nursing practice, classes on therapeutic communication, nursing research, anatomy and physiology, microbiology, and pathophysiology...It's a demanding course, and you have to be pretty dedicated..A lot of theory, and paper writing. But, I really enjoyed it, I've been working for almost 5 years now, I've worked in medical/surgical nursing, and right now I'm working in public health nursing, doing health promotion, vaccination, client education.

Hope this helps! :cheeky:

I sort of wish I had chosen nursing 10 years ago. By now I'd probably have more work than anything. I might have moved to abroad (Norway or Australia). It's defenetely a good career choise. There is a huge number of people (baby boomers) of certain age who will be becaming old and needing nursing help.
It's hard work and it defenetely needs more men in the field.

Okay here goes. The nursing career is very rewarding...and monetarily, the pay is good. But the rewards you get when you put a smile on someone's face who is facing a brain tumor (2 of my patients today had them) or changing a patient with ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease) are immense. I would suggest you start off getting your CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) after you get out of high school, and work for about a year before you fully decide this is what you want to do. Yeah, you do get to do the dirty work (like changing diapers on older adults, or changing and bathing patients etc etc etc) but it will help you so much to understand what nurses do every day. It will also help you in your nursing school studies. It may even help you get into a competitive nursing school. So I say go for it!! We need more male nurses! Every time I see a male nurse, I secretly say to myself "Wow. Another impressive male that is making a difference!"

Back