No Matter What Our Kids/New Generations Think About Us: Our Life Is Living Proof:Born 1926 - 1970

Sdeidjs

Proud Member
No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,
WE ARE AWESOME !!!

OUR LIFE IS LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born 1925 - 1970 :

At the end of this email is a quote of the month... If you don't read anything else, please read what was said.

Very well stated,
~~~~~~~~~
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank
while they were pregnant

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
and, when we rode our bikes,we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.
--And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes...After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendo’s and X-boxes.

There were no video games,
NO 150 channels on cable,
NO video movies or DVDs,
NO surround-sound or CDs,
NO cell phones,
NO personal computers,
NO Internet and no chat rooms..

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, inventors, visionaries ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born
between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
~~~~~~~

The quote of the month
by
Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us....go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us. ...pass this on..!

As Always~

:angel:

Sounds like my childhood. And I was born in 94. LOL. I wonder why.

I wanna know whats wrong with asprin and tuna from a can?

Hang on a second, you (or whoever wrote this) make(s) it sound like every young person on the face of the earth sits at home playing vidya gaems and browses the internet all day every day with no friends or social interaction.

lol

Although there are a lot of good points there.

Last edited:
I'm jealous of those who were born in the 70's.

That quote is very true.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
and, when we rode our bikes,we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

We didn't even lock our house door when i was a kid! I used to play with the neighbor ladies empty pill bottles.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

When I was growing up, cars didn't even have seat belts in the back. I wish they had because I have a scar on my face from a car accident when I was a kid. Fortunately I can hide it with makeup easily. But i wish I didn't have to do that.
Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

Especially fun to ride in the back of the pick up to the town dump which was a huge rat infested burning pile of trash.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight. WHY?

Is Wonder Bread really food? Tang was my drink of choice.

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

Because our parents kicked us out of the house from sunrise to sundown.......

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendo’s and X-boxes.

There were no video games,
NO 150 channels on cable,
NO video movies or DVDs,
NO surround-sound or CDs,
NO cell phones,
NO personal computers,
NO Internet and no chat rooms..
No but I still watched way to much tv. Saturday morning sci fi movies and cartoons, Dark Shadows, The Twilight Zone...........

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

No but I would have reported it if I had known how.....

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

EEWWWW! I have NEVER eaten a worm.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.
I was a sharp shooter by age 10. I'm still packing heat..........

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.
Even back then, I never walked into someone's house without knocking. Does anyone really do that?

Cute post. Yes, we miraculously survived. But I certainly don't long for the good old days. And younger generations will make just as many significant contributions to society and perhaps without all of the psychoses and neuroses of our generation. I think kids today are overprotected but when I was growing up kids were an annoyance. It's better to be overprotected, imo.

Love all the wonderful responses...

My sister Cher sent this to me via email today and I thought this letter was very thought provoking...

I "love" being born/grow up in the era of the 60's and 70's...things just seem so much simpler innocent back then...

My cousin Rick and I used to make mud pies, eat Grandma Abbott's grapes off the enormous grape arbor she had...and take Grandpa Abbott's wheel barrel up and down the street collecting garbage off the street in the hopes of finding pop bottles and return them at the corner store so we can buy candy...Giggles~~~

Even though I "absolutely adore" the younger generation (s), I feel our kids have had to loose that precious innocence much faster than most of us did~~~

As Always

:angel:

Last edited:
The majority of this applies to my childhood too and I was born in '84. :p

Except no, I did not eat worms. I doubt I would've done that no matter what year I was born. Gross. haha

We didn't even lock our house door when i was a kid! I used to play with the neighbor ladies empty pill bottles.

When I was growing up, cars didn't even have seat belts in the back. I wish they had because I have a scar on my face from a car accident when I was a kid. Fortunately I can hide it with makeup easily. But i wish I didn't have to do that.

Especially fun to ride in the back of the pick up to the town dump which was a huge rat infested burning pile of trash.

Is Wonder Bread really food? Tang was my drink of choice.

No but I still watched way to much tv.
Saturday morning sci fi movies and cartoons, Dark Shadows, The Twilight Zone...........

No but I would have reported it if I had known how.....

EEWWWW! I have NEVER eaten a worm.

I was a sharp shooter by age 10. I'm still packing heat..........

Even back then, I never walked into someone's house without knocking. Does anyone really do that?

Cute post. Yes, we miraculously survived. But I certainly don't long for the good old days. And younger generations will make just as many significant contributions to society and perhaps without all of the psychoses and neuroses of our generation. I think kids today are overprotected but when I was growing up kids were an annoyance. It's better to be overprotected, imo.

Wow...now those are blasts from the past...We used to watch Soul Train, American Band, Little Rascals, & the Three Stooges...:clapping:

:lol: :lol:

OMG. That is SO true! :lol:

P.S. Despite the fact that I was born in the 90s, I love watching The Wonder Years. (It's from the 80s, I know)

I spent the first six years of my childhood in the middle east, which i remember vividly and as you know, everythings always backwards so although it was the 90s, it feel very much like the 70s (now that I look back). I think I had a very happy childhood.

Last edited:
Talk about hazards...I used to IRON my hair in the 70's...literally with a clothing iron just to get it Marcia Brady straight, lol. You young people have it so easy with your fancy flat irons. ;)

Talk about hazards...I used to IRON my hair in the 70's...literally with a clothing iron just to get it Marcia Brady straight, lol. You young people have it so easy with your fancy flat irons. ;)

:lol: :lol: Talk about desperate. :lol:

Ya'll were creative.

OMG! :bugeyed :lol: Didn't it literally burn your hair ?!

Thanks for this you made me smile! Gosh how I remember those days!:D
I was born in 1967!
My dad used to put my brother and I in the back of his Morris Minor van ( think that was the make!) with pillows and blankets for the long journey back to his for when he had us to stay during the school holidays and every other weekend!
We played mud pies with old teaspoons, swung on old ropes from trees in the woods, rode our bikes....and is it just me or do you agree that there were loads of hot summers in the 1970's??? LOL:sun:
Best go.........have so many memories now.........gone a little off topic too.....sorry! lol:doh:. I might look it up as sure that 1976 was one of the hottest summers on record at the time! :)

I did it myself 4 years ago at 15, before I bought a flat iron. No burning whatsoever :p

Back