New (?) signed drawings auction

Bogdan

Proud Member
At least new to me? I haven't seen these before

Drawings Set for Auction in Los Angeles

The King of Pop was also handy with a pencil, having taken to drawing as a hobby while on tour. Now, fans and collectors can get a piece of the pop star's life when they go up for sale on August 3.

Kevin Dolak
JULY 22, 2024 3:47PM PDT

Michael Jackson performs in concert circa 1986.
Michael Jackson

PHOTO BY KEVIN MAZUR/WIREIMAGE)
In August at a to-be-disclosed Los Angeles location, fans and collectors will have a chance to own Michael Jackson’s signed drawings, as several dozen of his works are being auctioned off to the highest bidder, King’s Auctions announced this week.

On August 3 at a to-be-announced location that global auction firm King’s Auctions promises will be an “upscale Beverly Hills venue,” 78 drawings by the late King of Pop will be auctioned. Each drawing by the music sensation was signed by him personally, giving auction winners a piece of both the icon’s and pop music’s history.

Jackson, who died in 2009 at the age of 50 from acute propofol intoxication, was a lifelong fan of fine art and began drawing at a young age. While on tour throughout his career, Jackson would frequently turn to drawing and soon it became a hobby — after all, it’s portable.

“He was influenced by many art genres, from classical and architectural to pop art and even formal portraiture. He also had a great fondness for London and British customs,” King’s Auctions said in a press release sent to The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday.

The auction of this batch of work is unique in that Lot #1 — requiring an opening bid of $1 million — is for the entire collection of 78 pieces. If the reserve price is met, the entire event will be over at once and the complete collection will go to the winning bidder. However, if the reserve isn’t met, the auction will revert to standard protocol in which each artwork is offered individually, the auction house said.

The auction is being conducted in association with King’s Los Angeles branch. Absentee and online live bidding will be available via LiveAuctioneers and preview exhibitions will be held in Beverly Hills and Las Vegas.

At least new to me? I haven't seen these before

Drawings Set for Auction in Los Angeles

The King of Pop was also handy with a pencil, having taken to drawing as a hobby while on tour. Now, fans and collectors can get a piece of the pop star's life when they go up for sale on August 3.

Kevin Dolak
JULY 22, 2024 3:47PM PDT

Michael Jackson performs in concert circa 1986.
Michael Jackson

PHOTO BY KEVIN MAZUR/WIREIMAGE)
In August at a to-be-disclosed Los Angeles location, fans and collectors will have a chance to own Michael Jackson’s signed drawings, as several dozen of his works are being auctioned off to the highest bidder, King’s Auctions announced this week.

On August 3 at a to-be-announced location that global auction firm King’s Auctions promises will be an “upscale Beverly Hills venue,” 78 drawings by the late King of Pop will be auctioned. Each drawing by the music sensation was signed by him personally, giving auction winners a piece of both the icon’s and pop music’s history.

Jackson, who died in 2009 at the age of 50 from acute propofol intoxication, was a lifelong fan of fine art and began drawing at a young age. While on tour throughout his career, Jackson would frequently turn to drawing and soon it became a hobby — after all, it’s portable.

“He was influenced by many art genres, from classical and architectural to pop art and even formal portraiture. He also had a great fondness for London and British customs,” King’s Auctions said in a press release sent to The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday.

The auction of this batch of work is unique in that Lot #1 — requiring an opening bid of $1 million — is for the entire collection of 78 pieces. If the reserve price is met, the entire event will be over at once and the complete collection will go to the winning bidder. However, if the reserve isn’t met, the auction will revert to standard protocol in which each artwork is offered individually, the auction house said.

The auction is being conducted in association with King’s Los Angeles branch. Absentee and online live bidding will be available via LiveAuctioneers and preview exhibitions will be held in Beverly Hills and Las Vegas.

Not sure if it's part of this auction but I posted this one on the biopic thread last week (someone was imagining the film showing Michael interacting with a cartoon figure like Peter Pan, for example. It made me think of this picture).

michael-jackson-a-drawing-of-mickey-mouse-by-michael-jackson.jpg

@andjustice4some
"A rep for the estate tells us they do not accept these sketches as authentic -- noting they examined the artwork years ago and upon further inspection, felt even more dubious. They say they've relayed this to the auction house since then, and insist they haven't gotten any evidence that, to them, would suggest these drawings were done by the late icon."

@ScreenOrigami
"We know for sure that MJ did work in that hangar, and he did work with the White House centennial paper. So, since there are a couple of president portraits on auction, I wonder what makes them believe they’re not authentic?"

Is this a drawing?! 😳
Idk. The information on the auction page says this about this picture:

"Description

Yes Door [1993-4], an original work of art created with wax pencil and pastel on white blind-embossed acid-free archival paper, embossed with the mark of the 'Jackson Strong Alliance', signed by the artist, Michael Joseph Jackson, measuring 40" x 29 7/8". Tear in bottom right corner, 9 1/2" from bottom."

They all look legit to me but I've never studied his pictures and I'm not an art historian. I just liked it bc of the weird distortion. It would be disappointing if these pictures turned out to be fake. I've posted several tweets about this auction and followed most of the links but I wouldn't say I'm well informed about Michael's art. I was interested in this batch bc there's quite a few that I've never seen before.

Well, it is always good to be sceptical, but why would anyone take on the strenous and time consuming, maybe costly task to fake MJ drawings? Michael was not a visual artist/painter, and has no name in the art world /gallery / museum / collector scene in this respect.

There is not enough money to be milked from faking, I would think. 🤔

Well, it is always good to be sceptical, but why would anyone take on the strenous and time consuming, maybe costly task to fake MJ drawings? Michael was not a visual artist/painter, and has no name in the art world /gallery / museum / collector scene in this respect.

There is not enough money to be milked from faking, I would think. 🤔
If minimum bid is 1 million that's enough of an incentive no?

Mmhh, hard to tell ... Imagine having to fake 75 MJ drawings! Including his iconic signature plus the centennial special paper he used for some works (for example: " light yellow ocher acid-free heavy cotton rag archival paper with watermark made in France, embossed with the seal of the 'U.S. Presidency', signed by the artist, Michael Joseph Jackson"). If you need to find someone for this, you would have to pay that person. But maybe you are right, and 1 million are worth the fakery ...

Minimum bid is $1 million if it's one buyer taking all 78 pieces otherwise they get sold individually.

Mmhh, hard to tell ... Imagine having to fake 75 MJ drawings! Including his iconic signature plus the centennial special paper he used for some works (for example: " light yellow ocher acid-free heavy cotton rag archival paper with watermark made in France, embossed with the seal of the 'U.S. Presidency', signed by the artist, Michael Joseph Jackson"). If you need to find someone for this, you would have to pay that person. But maybe you are right, and 1 million are worth the fakery ...
Tbh, I'm more interested in knowing why MJE thinks they are fake. It's intriguing ... :unsure:

Everything associated with Michael Jackson’s name is not easy, as Kings Auctions learned the hard way. It’s like watching a Drama series.

A court-ordered sale of Michael Jackson’s artwork, scheduled for August 3 at King’s Auctions in Las Vegas, was abruptly halted at the last minute when an entity associated with the property owner suddenly declared bankruptcy.

The Jackson-Strong Alliance LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Overseen by artist and former friend of Michael Jackson, Sir Brett-Livingstone Strong, the alliance was ordered to sell 120 “museum collection” artworks to satisfy a $3.25 million debt owed to Dallas-based firm Vinson Investments, according to the bankruptcy filing.

The JSA filing was made a day before the planned sale, on August 2. Vinson was listed among the 20 largest creditors as was iconic singer Cher, under the full name Cher Allman. She is owed $1 million, according to the filing.

An attorney for Vinson did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Brad Patterson, Strong’s attorney, clarified that he is not the bankruptcy counsel and stated that while his client has not filed for bankruptcy, the Jackson-Strong Alliance (JSA) has.

“Although I am not bankruptcy counsel, we look forward to an expedited proceeding and all creditors being paid in full,” Patterson said in an email.

According to a representative for King’s, JSA filed for bankruptcy the day before the auction at 5:50 p.m. in a last-minute effort to halt the sale and retain Michael Jackson’s art collection.

The representative claimed that Strong also filed bankruptcy in 2007 to wipe out $40 million in debt, adding that “there are many questions here regarding the legitimacy of the Friday filing.” Asked about this, his attorney Patterson said: “I don’t respond to factually incorrect rants.”

In late July, the Superior Court of Los Angeles, Santa Monica division ordered the sale of the Jackson artworks to be held on August 3 by King’s Auctions.

According to King’s: “JSA/Brett Livingston Strong owes millions and used the MJ collection as collateral. The lien holders were to be paid through the courts from the auction proceeds, Vinson Investments, ex-wife Monica Strong, and other creditors with liens against Strong. Attorneys believe this is just another tactic by Brett-Livingston Strong to delay once again after seven years of litigation.”

Asked what will happen to the artworks now, the King’s representative said: “There will be another auction date set!”

King’s is still offering the giant throne featured in a segment of the 2014 Billboard Awards honoring Jackson. “The throne came from a different source and remains available for purchase, as it was not sold due to the auction halt,” the company stated.

As previously reported by Artnet News, Jackson and Strong first met in 1979 and maintained a collaborative friendship until Jackson’s death in 2009. Strong claims that Jackson assigned him the copyrights to his artworks before passing away.

However, Jackson’s estate has expressed doubts about the authenticity of the works in the sale. A representative for the estate told TMZ that they do not recognize the sketches as authentic and have communicated their concerns to the auction house.

According to King’s, the lawyer for the singer’s estate “has confirmed in writing to King’s Auctions’s counsel that the estate’s position is merely their opinion, and they have no factual basis to dispute the authenticity of the artwork.” They added that “there appears to be substantial hard feelings between the seller of the artwork and the estate that have existed for more than a decade.”

However, Jonathan Steinsapir, a Los Angeles-based attorney representing the estate who corresponded with King’s, told Artnet News: “I have never confirmed, in writing or otherwise, that the Estate of Michael Jackson has ‘no factual basis upon which to dispute the authenticity of the artwork.’”

“Indeed, as previously explained, representatives of the estate—all of whom knew Michael—examined this artwork several years ago while it was being stored in a hangar at the Santa Monica airport, and the inspection only raised further concerns. We have made this clear to the auction house and others many times since. The estate asked for evidence that these works were in fact created by Michael, and no sufficient evidence has ever been produced.”

What a drama!

Back