New Fans

1offthewall1

Proud Member
I want to hear from fans who became fans around the london concert hysteria. why did you become a true fan? when did you realize it? how has it changed you??

this is legit, positive conversation that I think people would be interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps Sophie is a lovely young lady with a good kind heart. She only cleans threads if they are getting messy!
So far so good eh?
:wub:
When you know Michaels heart, he was such a peace loving man, so hopefully this thread will be a good interesting read, and no need to delete! :better:

yea i dont see why/how it would be deleted. unless its a communist forum.

so where are the newer fans? we wanna hear your story..

I joined the official MichaelJackson.com site in March 2009 so does that make me a fan before he died? lol :wub:
See one of my blogs! :)
Am editing my post as just thought of something to add to this! lol
In 2005 I remember having an interesting discussion with my sister in law about Michael.
She asked me when he was pronounced ''Not Guilty'' ( innocent) do you think he is really innocent? I remember saying YES of course he is innocent!!!
So you see I've always loved and respected Michael, but only joined a fan forum post 25th June.

Last edited:
I've been a fan so long that for me, anyone that was a fan since 2001 is
Technically a new fan since they only got to experience one album... That Sony didimt even want to promote....they unfortunately didn't get to experience any of the real magic and hysteria... After that it was just a trial and baby raising an basically almost no original performances. I hope that's not insulting to anyone, it's just a different era of fandom.

I joined the official MichaelJackson.com site in March 2009 so does that make me a fan before he died? lol :wub:
See one of my blogs! :)

it shouldnt matter if you turned into a fan before or after his death. if youre enough of a fan to be posting on an internet forum, then you are a true fan. its not your fault you didnt know of Mj's true self. thats what the media does to people. you should be congratulated for being able to see the truth.

Technically a new fan since they only got to experience one album... That Sony didimt even want to promote....they unfortunately didn't get to experience any of the real magic and hysteria... After that it was just a trial and baby raising an basically almost no original performances. I hope that's not insulting to anyone, it's just a different era of fandom.

ok, but a person that was able to see through the media's lies and hysteria during the mid 2000's, they should be congratulated. they should also tell their story, as they will also be the ones who promote his legacy.

I wish I had joined a fan forum like this many moons ago! :yes:
Speaking of 'Moon' I introduced my now adult son ( aged 24yrs) to MJ's Moonwalker old vhs when he was just a lad! He's also been a massive fan of MJ ever since! :yes:

ok, but a person that was able to see through the media's lies and hysteria during the mid 2000's, they should be congratulated. they should also tell their story, as they will also be the ones who promote his legacy.

Thank you! I still recall reading the media's negative comments about Michael. One thing in particular stands out to me, and that was a comment on ...............oh I wont say as it's all garbage filth and I said to myself ''Leave him alone''! :wub:
I never for one minute believed or took in any of it!

It's a fair enough thread and dont see why it should be controversial! :smilerolleyes:
It only becomes an issue and controversial when people who have been on a fan forum before Michael died feel put out that others joined post 25th June. :( Hopefully that wont happen now!
Hopefully this has now died down and the very fact that folks come on into this forum 19 months after I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they actually genuinely LOVE Michael, and are not 'band wagon' fans by now! Agree?:agree:
( hate that phrase btw)
The word 'FAN' comes from fanatic, so although I've always liked Michaels music since the age of 15yrs old, ( 28 yrs ago) I must admit that it's only since his passing that I have fallen in love with him, and wanted to find out everything about him, what made him tick etc.
So yes I became a fan after he died, as did so so many others.
There will be many others becoming fans too, so lets just all celebrate our love for MJ, no matter when you became a fan!:wub:
Am sure Mike loves us all as equals anyway!! :D

Thank you for your post - that's exactly my thaughts and how I feel in this question.:) MJ and his music was always there all my life. But a fan - in the meaning of fan - I become sadly after his death. But since then I am fallen in love also with MJ the human beeing. And so I miss him badly. Although I am a so called 'new fan'. :angel:

ive been a fan since 2 ever since the HBO special in 92 and my mom said i was in a trance, i remember the HIStory era promo like it was yesterday. and The mystery drinks and the HIStory fan club magazines with all the goodies in it and the fan Q&A sections in the mags and the scream video primier and Michael Jackson Week on Vh1 and his halloween crypt and king of videos and just as far as i can remember it was me and mike. its not that i dont "like" new fans i just dont understand why NOW when he was around for so long, why did it take for him 2die...and when they say "i miss him and love him so much" i'm just like O_O how when u never got to know him when he was here. Its like a grandparent dying be4 u ever got a chance 2 meet them and saying u miss them if that makes sense lol. I just find it mind boggling and hard to believe that it took for him to die 4 people to take notice to him and now they love him when theyve never got a chance 2 experience him. so idk, im just w/e about it.

I started to listening to his music at 14, about 3 months before his passing. I loved his music and kinda started to becoming his fan and then 25. 6... I was in GREAT SHOCK! I then started to know him as a person, found out more his music and when i watched Living with Michael Jackson it was over. I realised what a person, genius, artist, dancer he is. From then on i am a TRUE FAN, i listen tons of his music every day, watch tons of his videos every day, i am influenced by him every day and i'm collecting his CDs, DVDs, vinyls, mags,...

Who are those ''Old'' fans to judge me and say why didn't you discover him earlier, you can't miss him coz you became fan after his death... You don't know my story... i do cry too watching his videos, listening his music, thinking what more he could give us and missing him everyday.

1. In Slovenia is about 10 REAL fans, media is always showing bad image of Michael and making him look weird... even some people who really like him, sometimes talk about his face,... coz they don't know nothing, it's really hard to be REAL fan in Slovenia coz people are manipulated by the media. I remember my father saying when i was a kid ''MJ had more than 16 surgeries on his nose'' and i was like WOOOOW.

2. I could became fan in Invincible era, yes in first grade when i was finishing my teletubbies sticker album.

I mean it's really great to see those OLD fans, being fans 20, 30 years, but it really hurts me when they push that in the front and think they are more. C'mon you are gonna die one day and who will spread MJ's message, support his music, tell people what genius he is,...

WE ARE ALL FANS, HAVE YOU MEET HIM, WERE HIS FRIEND? IF ANSWER IS YES THEN YOU HAVE ALL RIGHTS TO SAY I AM SOMETHING MORE.
I mean, i am happy to see every kind of TRUE fan, one more who is aware of this man's talents and kindness, no matter what his/her story is.

Last edited:
Some Admin deleted the first thread i made about this because they magically predicted it would turn negative before it even had 2 responses. I just want to hear from fans who became fans around the london concert hysteria. why did you become a true fan? when did you realize it? how has it changed you??

this is legit, positive conversation that I think people would be interested in. mods, please dont delete it until it turns negative or until Sophielo gets her crystal ball plugged back into the outlet.

I think however you've chosen the wrong section of the forum... and I'd like you to have more understanding and apreciation for the work all those volunteers of staff are doing for keeping whole mjjc enjoyable for all of us. That sideremark to Sophie was pretty uncalled for!

Sophielo is right... threads like these have turned out pretty bad several times... but hey who knows... probably it's worth a new try... however wrong section... Michaels legacy... or one of the others I guess... this section is meant more for 'Michael' and all what has surrounded the new album appearing hm?!

^ Agreed, this is the wrong section. It's interesting to read everyone's stories though. I think it's great Michael has new fans, and as a fan I've always wondered about everyone why they aren't obsessed with MJ like I am. I mean, his talent, greatness and overall awesomeness is just undeniable, right? Sometimes I show my husband, mother, friends vids of MJ, let them listen to his best songs and they are just lïke 'oh cool, that's nice, he's weird though'. Aaargh! Respect the man and be his fan, come on world! So for new fans I say, better late than never.

ive been a fan since 2 ever since the HBO special in 92 and my mom said i was in a trance, i remember the HIStory era promo like it was yesterday. and The mystery drinks and the HIStory fan club magazines with all the goodies in it and the fan Q&A sections in the mags and the scream video primier and Michael Jackson Week on Vh1 and his halloween crypt and king of videos and just as far as i can remember it was me and mike. its not that i dont "like" new fans i just dont understand why NOW when he was around for so long, why did it take for him 2die...and when they say "i miss him and love him so much" i'm just like O_O how when u never got to know him when he was here. Its like a grandparent dying be4 u ever got a chance 2 meet them and saying u miss them if that makes sense lol. I just find it mind boggling and hard to believe that it took for him to die 4 people to take notice to him and now they love him when theyve never got a chance 2 experience him. so idk, im just w/e about it.

Bless you for speaking out our truth!

Why say something like that about a hard working moderator?

I welcome all fans (new ones and old ones) to the online community of Michael Jackson. What we have to remember is that a large proportion of fans are not onthe Internet. They enjoy the music, but it's a shame they only have newspaper/ newscasts to rely on for info on Michael.

I find the term "true fans" hugely unfavourable and would not define any fans new or old (online or offline) in that way. If we gain fans from the release of "Michael" then great! Imagine only just hearing his music for the first time (that does occur!) and keep hearing about "controversies" that will make the fan buy earlier material and form their own opinion. Yes the Internet is a very good tool but not having access to it should not create a label of any kind.

L.O.V.E.

This thread will NOT be a place for you to presumptuously talk off about a mod. Give me a break!

And yes, if it goes off topic or starts to become a mess, it will be closed. End of.

I Know what you mean:yes:

I am one of Michael's older fans been one since the early 80s and I am 31 years old now. So I really have no idea what made me become a fan of his in the first place. I just always had loved him. But it wasn't until the start of the HIStory Era when I start to become the hard fan of his that I am now. And since then Michael has been one of my major passions. And I had always saw past the media lies that were about him. And I had always defended him constantly whenever I needed to.

I don't think the mental box is helping anyone.

So if someone discovers Mozart and Jackson Pollock in 2011- that makes them 'new fans'?

People gravitate toward Michael Jackson when something inside them resonates with his message(s). Period.

Speaks volumes to me that boatloads were so drawn to him after his physical departures- despite the apparent lack of personal presence and his charisma when being alive.

Even despite that people have been bitten by the MJ bug, the more the merrier.

I discovered him in 92, before that I had no access to either his music, or anything else. I watched him in delight and heard the Angels sing. :D
Other people will discover him next year.

I've been a casual fan since I was probably 5 years old or so. I didn't become a die-hard fan until after he died unfortunately. I don't know if I could be considered a "new" fan. I did still look up to him as a role model before he died. He's the reason I can embrace my child-like qualities. I just wasn't following his career much, so there wasn't a whole lot I knew about him. I did know he was a good and misunderstood person and I always believed he was innocent. It just never occurred to me to search for the fan community, but I'm really glad I have now.

I joined MJJC almost 2 years ago, because I did not have internet before that. But I love Michael for more than 28 years now.
These days everything is so easy...just one click away.
Before I had to walk around the town to find a magazine with MJ in it..to wait for some music-show to see his videos....it was not easy, I can tell you.
I am certanly welcoming new fans...I just hope they will continue to love Michael forever.
And pass it on to their children, like I did.

I saw Moonwalker in 1991 and boom! It hit me like a train :D

I'd really like to read more about how the new fans fell for MJ.

I became an MJ fan back in 2001 (VMA's). I was 10 years old at the time and was really watching this show because of Justin Timberlake. I had a HUGE crush on JT. So I'm there watching when suddenly I see this person making an awesome entrance and I was like, WOW! I remember asking my older sister (MJ fan), "Who is that?" She said, "That's Michael Jackson, you idiot." Let me tell you, he swept me off my feet with his performance. Needless to say that - that day Michael became the apple of my eye and ever since I've been like, Justin Timberlake who?

I became an MJ fan back in 2001 (VMA's). I was 10 years old at the time and was really watching this show because of Justin Timberlake. I had a HUGE crush on JT. So I'm there watching when suddenly I see this person making an awesome entrance and I was like, WOW! I remember asking my older sister (MJ fan), "Who is that?" She said, "That's Michael Jackson, you idiot." Let me tell you, he swept me off my feet with his performance. Needless to say that - that day Michael became the apple of my eye and ever since I've been like, Justin Timberlake who?

.:lol:

I've been a casual fan since I was probably 5 years old or so. I didn't become a die-hard fan until after he died unfortunately. I don't know if I could be considered a "new" fan. I did still look up to him as a role model before he died. He's the reason I can embrace my child-like qualities. I just wasn't following his career much, so there wasn't a whole lot I knew about him. I did know he was a good and misunderstood person and I always believed he was innocent. It just never occurred to me to search for the fan community, but I'm really glad I have now.

I'm the same, and I don't think we should be classified as "new fans," just because we didn't become more hardcore fans until after his death. A fan is a fan no matter what :) And I'm sure Michael loved ALL his fans no matter how casual or hardcore.

I learned a valuable lesson from Michael's death, don't take the ones you really admire for granted. That's exactly what I did. I have my fave celebrities, but I never really got too horribly into interviews, behind the scenes stuff, etc. I just didn't fancy them. I guess I had a short attention span, lol. I took Michael very much for granted, and I blindly thought he'd always be around. I've loved his music since I was little (early 80's and I'm 30), but didn't get my first Michael album until I was 15 (bought HIStory with birthday money, the original before the edited TDCAU).But I did know enough about Michael that he was a very kind and misunderstood person. Now I've learned to really embrace all of my faves, you know? (I sure hope this makes sense to you all)

When Michael died, I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. I don't think any celebrity death has ever effected me as much as Michael's. It took a few days for it to really hit me (after the initial shock wore off) and it hit me HARD. I was hurting so bad I wanted to reach out to other fans, people who I knew would understand my grief, and that's when I found MJJC. I wish to God I would have joined the online fan community sooner.

I would give anything to have this wonderful man back :cry:

you guys are really sweet... I feel like a very old granny here.
I discovered Michael when I was around 5 cuz ABC that time was my absolute favorite song... well ok honestly that time I didn't really realize it's Michael Jackson or even knew who the Jackson 5 were... but then when it got to DSTYGE... I was so infected by Michaelmania... and WOW when Thriller came out and ppl were camping in front of record stores... yes and I'm talking about the old vinyl fresbee like thing ;) when literally EVERYBODY in the classroom was wearing thick white socks looking out under their black jeans and when it could have been -20 C° in Europe but kids would have never wear more than ONE GLOVE lol when those able to do the moonwalk got the stars in every discotheque... yes... I would also say you can not imagine how that times have felt thanks to Michael... amazing, it's hard to describe with only words.

But it's not completely no way meant as a reproach or something... 'we' just had the luck to be born in the perfect time... nothing any of us really influenced, just incredible luck.
And it's a reason why we feel different and 'old' sometimes... just a reason for difference.

Then to me really MUCH later the internet was born... OMG or before when I think of the first computers around during my time at University rotfl you have no idea how funny that looked how HUGE in every sense of the word those were... I did a course in 'binär code' with only 10110001 like data... omg I can hardly remember that... anways... when then later the internet started many of us met first in a chatroom... mjifc... the chats of nowadays are no way like that chat... you had to reload the site to see new messages... reloading took sometimes like 5 minutes... S L O W is not slow enough to describe that... that was in the late 90s... when the first of us met online first... as you can see mjjc (well that time mjjf) started in 2003 and as mjifc and its brother and sister chats were closed many of us met here as mjjf... we grew together and went together through everything... worst of all the trial... but we were an amazing community... translated trial transcripts in different languages, collected legal head opinions from different countries, media coverage... we collected money for a site in the LA times where a support message for Michael appeared on half a page... as bad as these times were, we kept together as a real community being strength for Michael and eachother.

One could say we went to thick and thin, good and bad... together.

After Michaels death many of 'us' left... some just couldn't deal with Michaels death... and some couldn't deal with the atmosphere this forum got into... I do not blame new ppl for that... also circumstances... happenings... it doesn't matter anymore... life is an ongoing change.

See it's noones 'fault' that some of you haven't been here already that time... but yes it is a reason to feel different.

Just what should not happen is this generalizing... old fans are all this or old that... new fans are all this or all this.

Everybody who truely understands Michael Jacksons legacy... his all time message will always welcome everyone new.
We can inspire each other and we can be there for eachother if willing... it really is about love... l.o.v.e. just don't use it as a commercial slogan better to those 'old' fans I'm talking about ok... you know it's about respect for eachother always... it's for example not about being right and calling or however 'proving' the other one wrong, like dividing into groups... it's about true understanding and tolerance for eachother and always underlining what we do have in common still... the love for Michael Jackson.

I understand what you mean. I have the same thing. Everytime a 'big' star announces a tour, people wanna go and see them. So, when Michael announced the concerts, all these people wanted a chance to see the King of Pop live. I understand it. HOWEVER, to me it seems they got 'stuck' in the hype when Michael passed away. They say they miss him....which is strange. I think they are sad that they missed out on the amazing person he was. Because you can't miss someone you never really cared for much in my opinion.

I also believe many of these people will soon fade and eventually disappear completely. It happens, just like when you hear about a movie star that passes away, you go see one of their movies and when a random singer passes, you play their songs. After that, you move on.

I think it's also because many of us 'old fans' have a history together. We met years and years ago in chatrooms (MJIFC, anyone?) and we went through a LOT. During the 2nd trial the forums became a safe haven for us and we informed and supported eachother. A lot of things that are being posted now have been discussed by us many times before.....so I guess that's why we consider anyone who came on board after June 2009 as 'new' fans.

Didn't want to offend anyone, I hope you understand what I wanted to convey.

that's why we consider anyone who came on board after June 2009 as 'new' fans.

Didn't want to offend anyone, I hope you understand what I wanted to convey.

I'm not offended at all :) But if you said that, then I have to make it clear (again) that some of us who came here after June 2009 are not "new" fans. I've been through the same difficult times in 1993 and 2003/5 just not on these boards.

Now, let's read more stories about the new fans :D

Back