New book: Otherness and Power: Michael Jackson and His Media Critics

Annita

Proud Member
Release-day was May 1th. Did anyone read this book?
http://www.amazon.com/Otherness-Power-Michael-Jackson-Critics/dp/0578138026

Otherness and Power: Michael Jackson and His Media Critics Paperback – May 1, 2014
by Susan Woodward (Author)

Otherness and Power: Michael Jackson and His Media Critics is an innovative study of the cultural impact of Michael Jackson. Jackson had millions of ardent fans around the world, but from the early days of his adult career many in the media mocked and reviled him. How did such divergent attitudes come about? This book examines the origins and psychological underpinnings of the media's hostility by closely analyzing some of the most harshly critical writings about Jackson. While racism and discomfort with Jackson's "otherness" have previously been recognized as the elements that fueled media criticisms, Susan Woodward reveals another important factor: the perception that Jackson was extraordinarily powerful, in ways that went beyond celebrity and wealth. Through research and careful analysis, Woodward explores the ways in which Jackson's power was seen, the largely unconscious response to his power, the functions of the media's criticisms and the origins of the perceptions of Jackson's power.

For once, a book that seems worth reading unlike the tabloid-riddled nonsense we have become so accustomed to.

It's a brilliant work. Thoughtful, knowledgeable and adding to the conversation about the cultural phenomenon of MJ. If you liked M Poetica and Vogel's articles, this one is a must read.

The author focuses on three books/authors who most notably criticized Jackson's persona: Dave March (Trapped: Michael Jackson and The Crossover Dream), Maureen Orth (her articles for Vanity Fair) and Mark Fisher (The Resistible Demise of Michael Jackson) and shows how perception of Jackson's power and otherness caused bias and negative reaction in these authors' works. It helps if you are familiar with the works criticized (if you are into academic studies of MJ, like me, you probably are), but if not, Woodward provides enough context to understand the authors' position before she analyzes it.

This is the knowledge of the subject and the depth of the analysis I was hoping to find in books like Fisher's, but unfortunately didn't. I'm glad such works are beginning to appear. I also hope Marsh, Orth and Fisher take the time to read it and experience for once what it's like to be on the other end of the criticism. I remember when Michael died, Marsh commented on it along the lines, "I wrote my book in 84 and I was right," - the arrogance of that statement was astonishing to me considering that half of his book is formed of obviously ridiculously wrong assumptions.

Thanks for the heads up, Annita, and the review, morinen. Definitely looks interesting!

This is the knowledge of the subject and the depth of the analysis I was hoping to find in books like Fisher's, but unfortunately didn't. I'm glad such works are beginning to appear. I also hope Marsh, Orth and Fisher take the time to read it and experience for once what it's like to be on the other end of the criticism. I remember when Michael died, Marsh commented on it along the lines, "I wrote my book in 84 and I was right," - the arrogance of that statement was astonishing to me considering that half of his book is formed of obviously ridiculously wrong assumptions.
Doesn't surprise me about Marsh. He is known to be incredibly arrogant - the only person he is more of a sycophant for than Bruce Springsteen is Dave Marsh - so I doubt he'll even bother to read the book.

I'll see if it's available at the library. It's obvious that Mike's power went beyond his superstardom and that it brought about resentment (from many sources, not just the media). It's good that it's being addressed and a few names are being called on the carpet for it.

Thanks annita and morinen. Sounds a really interesting book and depressingly topical in light of the last week. Seems she had dealings with branca and the estate, the book should have received publicity on the fan forums, i hadn't heard of it before now.

I got the book and read it too. It's a short book and quick read too, so you will be able to read it in a couple of hours.

I have to say I never heard about Dave Marsh's and Mark Fisher's books, I am only familiar with Orth's article.

Interesting that despite of being hostile to MJ all of these authors attribute Michael great power - and even some kind of semi-god status. And the source of their anxiety regarding MJ seems to stem for this perception. Along with MJ's "otherness" of course, but they see it connected to his power and even perceive it to be the source of his power. This is interesting because I so often hear it from haters. Their stance seems to be: "I'm saying all these hateful things about him to prove to myself and the world that I do not worship him." They seem to have this polarized extremist view of him that you either have to be an "idol worshipper" of MJ or have to have extreme hate for him and think the worst of him. For example, in conversations about the allegations, I cannot count how many times haters try to come back with the "argument": "He was not a god." And I'm always puzzled when they throw that out there, because why do you even say that in that context? No one said he was a god. There aren't only two options that he was either a child molester or god, right? But to these people for some reason saying he was not this horrible person they want him to be means that you are saying he was god. Which I always found interesting because it reveals a lot about their way of thinking and the analyzis in this book seems to correlate with that.

Very interesting read. I never understood the extremist view of most critics and journalists when it came to Michael. I think the author conveys quite well the dichotomy of angelism and bestialism (after French philosopher Jacques Maritain) that she detects in writings about Michael Jackson. After reading the book however I was left with the impression that according to the author both fans and media saw Michael as either/or which I don't believe is true or at least only partially true. I guess the question is why we never or hardly ever heard more balanced stories about Michael from journalists and even academics while Michael was alive. I would say the book is worth reading for the lists of name-calling from the authors of The Resistable Demise of Michael Jackson alone. Quite amazing and idiotic! Examples from The Resistable Demise of Michael Jackson: "creature of absolute soullessness"; "corporate plasticity"; "perverted Gothic malefactor"; "genuine beast of the apocalypse" ... and so on! And I am sure the writers felt oh-so-clever and intellectual about it. Pathetic.

Back