New Album Promo Ideas

This Is It

Proud Member
We all know that the upcoming debut posthumous album in November will sell exceptionally. Even This Is It, another compilation (with a few demos on) reached number one worldwide and sold impressively. This was, admittedly, with a lot of publicity and adverts (although they are needed by everyone).

His studio albums sold incredibly, but this was with so many ideas and publicity stunts though up by him, like traders shown in cinemas and lifesize statues! All his adult solo albums have sold approximately 30 million excluding Thriller (100m+ alone), and have been deemed a failure in comparison - but for any other artist would be called incredible. With such poor promotion, Invincible has still sold around 10m (an amazing achievement alone), but people like Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake achieved less than the figure with heaps of promotion (plus loads of singles and videos, not just one) in a whole year, but have been praised so much. We need a huge campaign - Invincible suffered because the press attacked its sales. Thriller only started doing very well after the title track's video was release a year after the album.

It goes without saying a massive promotional task is needed. There will definitely be lots of adverts on radio and television, but we need something huge to catch people's attention. In the past, there was the Black or White short film broadcast to millions, and the massive HIStory teaser, but he's gone and we can't have those anymore. It's hard to imagine many of his songs without music videos but we will have to. However, a lot of people have started to love Michael since his death so it will be easier to get people interested - his profile has definitely been lifted.

What ideas do you have? What will the music videos entail? Unseen recording studio footage or a compilation/retrospective? Maybe they could finish off the cancelled One More Chance video and re-release the track? How about have something animated, possibly from his 3D Ghosts scan. Or a tribute like Spike Lee's This Is It video with footage from Gary, Indiana? He rehearsed new material for This Is It - how ahout that's used? I think the single needs to be played simulataneously on radio worldwide and streamed on MichaelJackson.com. They should make the video an event like Black or White - broadcast it online and show it on TV to millions, possibly after a doumentary about the new album from the people who worked on the tracks, along with footage. Get the name of the video trending on Twitter as the world watches a live stream.

What about the album itself? Different coloured covers like Invincible? Slash has just given his new album away in the Classic Rock magazine. The issue is dedicated to him, has interviews and costs just over £14.99 (not much more than an album). It would be a great move - the magazine is available everywhere (in the UK at least, I know of), from petrol stations to newsagents and supermarkets. It's not giving it away for free - the money goes to the Estate and Sony. The magazine is like an extra. What better way to make more money and make the album more widely available than in just music shops and online. Some fans will definitely buy gimmicky things like different coloured covers, covers that glow in the dark, hologram covers, bonus track editions... You catch my drift.

Ideas people?

Last edited:
This picture has already been suggested by someone else for the cover of Michael Jackson new upcoming ablum cover.
But I LOVE IT; :wub: so I'm suggesting it again. :clapping:
coverlegend.jpg

This picture has already been suggested by someone else for the cover of Michael Jackson new upcoming ablum cover.
But I LOVE IT; :wub: so I'm suggesting it again. :clapping:
coverlegend.jpg

:wub: I love this picture so much. He looks so beautiful. I think that would be a lovely album cover.

Slash has just given his new album away in a rock magazine. The issue is dedicated to him, has interviews and costs just over £14 (not much more than an album). It would be a great move - the magazine is available everywhere (in the UK at least, I know of), from petrol stations to newsagents and supermarkets.

You're stealing my exact words!!!! :cheeky:

Sony and the estate should consider releasing the new album in the same way Slash has recently released his. You can buy it for £14.99 with Classic Rock magazine and the magazine is entirely dedicated to Slash. Because it's part of a magazine give-away it means here in the UK, you can buy Slash's album in your local cornershop, you can buy it on a train station, you can buy it in a garage, you can buy it in a supermarket.

Last edited:
Insanely fanatic fans going nuts at highly publicized releases: CHECK!

This thread is not for fanmade album artwork, it is for promo ideas.

Back