Never Can Say Goodbye (Motown 25)

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I can honestly say that this is one of my absolute favorite live (vocal) performances from MJ. I actually think it's better than the original, the way he delivers the lyrics, his voice, his phrases, absolutely majestic. I wish he sung Never Can Say Goodbye live later in his career, one of my faves.

I was just watching this the other day and thinking the same thing and thinking how wonderfully rare it was to have adult MJ singing a J5 song that wasn't in the J5 medley from his solo concerts. We have Dancing machine and ABC obviously...

If only there were more...

I was just watching this the other day and thinking the same thing and thinking how wonderfully rare it was to have adult MJ singing a J5 song that wasn't in the J5 medley from his solo concerts. We have Dancing machine and ABC obviously...

Right?! I wish he didn't neglect alot of the J5 or even the Jacksons songs. He should have rotated the songs for the 'J5 medley' sometimes. I wonder if there are any credence to the stories about MJ recording I'll Be There and Never Can Say Goodbye in the late 80'ies

well your in luck aren't you.. it's rumoured/confirmed/likely he sang them in the decade sessions

That's How Love Is came up on my iPod today while I was out running. Couldn't help but think it'd sound lovely with adult Michael singing.

Dilan, I've heard about those re-record rumours for Decade.

If it's true, I guess we can expect them to be released one day.

I never liked Never Can Say Goodbye.... But this version is a exemption. I ****ING love his voice here.

Agreed, it's a wonderful performance. The whole Jacksons section tends to get forgotten about because of the iconic Billie Jean performance, but was amazing in its own right. MJ was on fire that night.

well your in luck aren't you.. it's rumoured/confirmed/likely he sang them in the decade sessions
I asked Brad Sundberg about this during his seminar and he said that to his knowledge there were never any plans to re-record J5 tracks for Decade. When I then brought up the I'll Be There solo recording for the Pepsi commercial he said that that was just done for the commercial, and not with an album release in mind.

Agreed, it's a wonderful performance. The whole Jacksons section tends to get forgotten about because of the iconic Billie Jean performance, but was amazing in its own right. MJ was on fire that night.

I asked Brad Sundberg about this during his seminar and he said that to his knowledge there were never any plans to re-record J5 tracks for Decade. When I then brought up the I'll Be There solo recording for the Pepsi commercial he said that that was just done for the commercial, and not with an album release in mind.

Well, just darn then. :sad: I love the way he sings I'll Be There in that commercial, too.

I wonder why MJ didn't sing Billie Jean live that night. His vocals were on fire.

I wonder why MJ didn't sing Billie Jean live that night. His vocals were on fire.

For sure! Billie Jean live would have been the icing on the cake. This night and the entire Victory Tour has got to be my favoruite era of MJ's live voice.

For sure! Billie Jean live would have been the icing on the cake. This night and the entire Victory Tour has got to be my favoruite era of MJ's live voice.
Did anyone see Berry Gordy and Suzanne dePasse on Tavis Smiley Thursday night? They were on promoting the new DVD Motown 25 (and sorry, I couldn't locate where the thread went on that)

Anyway, terrific interview. Just adore both of them.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/berry-gordy-suzanne-de-passe/

Those were the good old days. I love those songs. Those were magic moments. All my brothers, including Jermaine. But uh... you know, those were good songs. I like those songs a lot. But especially I like... the new songs.

8zo1fa.gif

Back