Ne-Yo Talks About MJ

This Is It

Proud Member
Ne-Yo is torn over what to do with a treasure trove of music he wrote especially for Michael Jackson before the megastar's untimely death.

The R&B singer is sitting on dozens of songs he penned for Jackson as the late king of pop was preparing to kickstart his career for the final time.

Ne-Yo is one of America's most bankable songwriters, backing up smash singles for Beyonce and Rihanna with a trail of his own dollar stacking hits.

But the star steadfastly refuses to sell off the music he wrote for Jackson and is reluctant to release the songs under his own name out of respect for his idol.

"The songs are sitting in archives but I really don't know what to do with them," Ne-Yo said in Sydney.

"I can't sell them on to someone else as that would be disrespectful but I also think it might be disrespectful to bring them out myself.

"So I don't know, I'll sit on them and wait. It's definitely quality music but they were songs written absolutely for Michael Jackson."

His brief relationship with Jackson developed in 2008 when Ne-Yo was contacted by Black Eyed Peas producer will.i.am to work on what would have been a comeback album.

The 30-year-old singer was handpicked by Jackson after the success of his smash hits So Sick and Sexy love.

Despite all the controversy surrounding his life, Ne-Yo found the world's most famous performer to be businesslike and friendly.

"He was normal, as odd as that may sound," Ne-Yo explained.

"I felt quite bad as I'd allowed what the media had done to his name and image to have me thinking, 'Ok what's this about to be? Is this going to be weird?'

"But he walked in in a black suit and some sun glasses and was a genuine nice guy. And it wasn't because he wanted something from me, he just had no reason other than to be a decent guy.

"We talked about the state of music, what he liked and didn't like. One thing that was interesting is that he views music in shapes and colours and that's how I think.

"He told me he admired my music and I could have fainted right there. I was like, `You like my music? You're the reason I make music'.

"So I wanted to bring something good to the table."

Ne-Yo set to work on a variety of songs ranging from upbeat dance tracks to heartfelt ballads, sending three or four drafts a week to Jackson.

"Melodic and meaningful. Those were the two words which kept coming back to me," he said.

"Michael told me the melodies needed to be the ones you heard once and could sing back, and the lyrics needed to have meaning and depth."

"He believed what was wrong with a lot of music today is that people aren't singing about anything.

"If it's not about a party or sex then it's about money, and there's not really much to that.

"Michael told me, 'I need songs that mean something to somebody and that's what I need you for'. I was honoured."

Despite writing a number of tracks for Jackson, the album project was put on hold while the singer shifted his attention towards his This Is It world tour, which was scheduled to begin in London in the summer in 2009.

Weeks before the opening concert Jackson died at his Los Angeles home following a lethal injection of prescription drugs.

Ne-Yo later paid tribute to Jackson by performing his song Lady In My Life at the 2009 BET Awards.

He hopes one day to be able to pay his respects with the songs he wrote for the great entertainer.

"Hopefully the songs will see the light of day, it just has to be the right way."

Ne-Yo is in Australia on the Winterbeatz festival tour.

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/ne-yo-mulls-over-michael-jackson-tracks-3677208

"He told me he admired my music and I could have fainted right there. I was like, `You like my music? You're the reason I make music'.
awwww

"Michael told me the melodies needed to be the ones you heard once and could sing back, and the lyrics needed to have meaning and depth."

"He believed what was wrong with a lot of music today is that people aren't singing about anything.

"If it's not about a party or sex then it's about money, and there's not really much to that
couldn't agree more

Smooth_Criminal05 has stated that there might be 2 completed tracks that MJ worked on with Neyo.

Ne-Yo should get an approval from Sony Music or give them to Sony as a part of their projects, why not?
I dont see anything what could be an obstacle to release them...

The last update from Smooth_Criminal05 on this subject was that MJ and Neyo made 2 tracks.

Neyo had the music. MJ the vocals. The estate was trying to thread the two together.

That's what I can remember he said. We'd need confirmation from him just to be sure though.

heartbreaking
to think MJ had so much to give, so much to teach and so many of us waiting for him... I don't know... there are days or times like this it gets really, really difficult to accept or to understand, if possible. It's been more than a year now and see... the feeling of emptiness and pain doesn't go away. In fact, the more we learn about him and his plans for us, for the world to be given so great music and so much talent... the more difficult it is.
I miss him so much :depressed:

I miss him too.. Mike was trying his best to make that comeback, but Murray took it from him.. Murray needs his life taken from him too

"I felt quite bad as I'd allowed what the media had done to his name and image to have me thinking, 'Ok what's this about to be? Is this going to be weird?'

"But he walked in in a black suit and some sun glasses and was a genuine nice guy. And it wasn't because he wanted something from me, he just had no reason other than to be a decent guy".

I am glad he admitted this and I am sure he wasn't the only one. It just shows you really don't know someone until you meet them yourself. I have always felt that if people took the time to know Michael and see that the media information was a bunch crap, crap that too many believed in, Michael would have been treated better.

"But he walked in in a black suit and some sun glasses and was a genuine nice guy. And it wasn't because he wanted something from me, he just had no reason other than to be a decent guy".

I am glad he admitted this and I am sure he wasn't the only one. It just shows you really don't know someone until you meet them yourself. I have always felt that if people took the time to know Michael and see that the media information was a bunch crap, crap that too many believed in, Michael would have been treated better.

I agree, even though it was weird of Ne-Yo in my opinion to still mimic MJ style in his music and dance moves if he thought somewhat negative about him before he met him! Don't ya think? I guess he was separating the music from the man! Like so many did and some credits still do!

But, I'm glad he changed his mind! :) I like Ne-Yo and when I first heard his music I thought of MJ in some way! So when I heard they would work with each other I thought great, this will be good!

My fave one though of all the ones who are inspired and mimic MJ style and moves is Usher because he said long ago that he accepts MJ the way he is! Meaning he didn't care what people thought of MJ or if MJ was different then anyone he ever heard of or known because it's who he is and that it! :)

One more proof that only people who have met him should talk about the man he really was. It's heartbreaking that people can believe the crap who's coming only from those who never met him.:no:

Ne-Yo should get an approval from Sony Music or give them to Sony as a part of their projects, why not?
I dont see anything what could be an obstacle to release them...

Uhm, you're missing something here, the article stated that Ne-Yo penned songs for MJ, they were'nt recorded, so what would there be to release?

Anyway, its always nice to read of someones impression of MJ once they meet him. Its so sad that nothing tangible came of their association, but you know what, life's filled with regrets and theres nothing we can do about it.

"If it's not about a party or sex then it's about money, and there's not really much to that.

That is so true.

So sad, another reminder of what could have been...

Ne-Yo just made a song called "Champagne Life"..

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/neyos-jackson-family-tribute_1157387

Ne-Yo - Ne-Yo's Jackson Family Tribute

'Beautiful Monster' singer Ne-yo is hoping to persuade the Jackson family to record an album originally written for the late 'King of Pop'.

Ne-yo is planning to record a Michael Jackson tribute album with the family of the late 'King of Pop'.

The 'Beautiful Monster' singer was asked by Michael to pen an album for him shortly before he died in June 2009 and he is now hoping to persuade Michael's siblings to record the tracks intended for their brother.

Ne-yo said: "I've been trying to figure out what to do with those songs. I can't give them to anybody else because they were written for Michael - that would be disrespectful.

"So if I could get Janet and the brothers to do a collaborative tribute that would be a great idea."

However, Ne-yo - who has also written hits for the likes of Rihanna and Beyonce Knowles in the past - admits if the Jackson family are unwilling to get on board, the songs will go to waste as they were always intended for Michael.

He added to the Daily Star newspaper: "There are about 10 he personally selected. He told me, 'I like this one, this one, this one.' I can't just put them out by myself because again they were meant for him but they're really good songs, it's good quality music."

Michael started his career as part of the Jackson 5 with his brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon when he was just seven.

Ne-Yo just made a song called "Champagne Life"..

Ha ha ha ...true

'Beautiful Monster' singer Ne-yo is hoping to persuade the Jackson family to record an album originally written for the late 'King of Pop'.

Ne-yo is planning to record a Michael Jackson tribute album with the family of the late 'King of Pop'.

The 'Beautiful Monster' singer was asked by Michael to pen an album for him shortly before he died in June 2009 and he is now hoping to persuade Michael's siblings to record the tracks intended for their brother.

Ne-yo said: "I've been trying to figure out what to do with those songs. I can't give them to anybody else because they were written for Michael - that would be disrespectful.

"So if I could get Janet and the brothers to do a collaborative tribute that would be a great idea."

However, Ne-yo - who has also written hits for the likes of Rihanna and Beyonce Knowles in the past - admits if the Jackson family are unwilling to get on board, the songs will go to waste as they were always intended for Michael.

He added to the Daily Star newspaper: "There are about 10 he personally selected. He told me, 'I like this one, this one, this one.' I can't just put them out by myself because again they were meant for him but they're really good songs, it's good quality music."

Michael started his career as part of the Jackson 5 with his brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon when he was just seven.

Please no. They'd love that...singing songs that MJ liked but never recorded. Jackie...please don't do this mess in waiting.

Erm bad idea

The Daily Star has added their own twist to the story. I don't think Ne Yo is in talks with the Estate, otherwise he would have mentioned it in the interviews I have seen.

The Daily Star has added their own twist to the story. I don't think Ne Yo is in talks with the Estate, otherwise he would have mentioned it in the interviews I have seen.

Maybe it is just speculation but the article doesn't say he is in talks with the estate. This could just be an idea he thought of. It's kind of a cool thought, he doesn't want to give away the songs and michael liked them but didn't get to record them so let some of his family member do it. Or he could get other artist to sing them in a tribute album or both just one big tribute album to michael.

I think Ne-Yo would be better off singing those songs. I don't think Michael's 'family' should have anything to do with them.

Things like this really make m miss Michael's music, because you can listen to any of his tracks no matter how young the people are in the room. You never had to worry that he was going to be vulgar. His music has meaning and because of that has stood the test of time.

Back